I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butt Wrap Layout Technique
Posted by: Kurt Mogensen (---.143.141.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 20, 2011 01:02PM

I've done 2 buttwraps now, a Spider and St Johns Cross. I was quite pleased with how they turned out but now that I've done them I see where some of the challenges lie in making them better. Mainly in getting a clean close for the pattern. I ended up closing both with black and had some overlapped threads. I think I need to do a better job on my layout, specifically the marking for my measurements. I used china marker for the first but felt the marks were too big and not defined enough meaning the thread could be off by just a tiny bit from where it needs to be. The second I used an exacto knife to put a tiny scratch in the finish. After the marks were put in place I rubbed over them with the china marker and then rubbed off the excess leaving the marker just in the scratches. I wasn't real comfortable with this method.
So my question is what are your preferred methods for making accurate layout marks? What is the best way for marking the centerline for your pattern? I'm sure there a many ways you experts do this so I look forward to your responses.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butt Wrap Layout Technique
Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: April 20, 2011 01:19PM

I've done only a few closed wraps up to this point but I have also used the scratch method since it leaves a nice crisp line. I'm curious why you had to fill in the lines with a marker. Did you scratch past the area on the blank that was covered by the wrap?

I screwed up something on my most recent wrap and decided it best to cut off and restart. I changed from a single axis closed wrap to a double axis closed wrap. I ended up with to many intersecting marks to keep track of so I just laid down four stips of 1/8" tape. The straight edge of the tape became my layout lines and I marked the intersection points on the tape. The tape got buried under the wrap and the only people who know are you, me and anyone else who reads this post.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Steve Zayas (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 20, 2011 02:05PM

you can use the dec wrap jig whick makes the center line easy to make. as for the marks lay the threads in the general area then move them to the space desired. Packing the wrap is the most important part,as you do more wraps you will see how much packing the right areas will make the wrap better.

Posted by: Kurt Mogensen (---.143.141.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 20, 2011 02:32PM

Chad - I filled the scratches with a marker for visibility. I thought it was brilliant at the time but now don't really think it was necessary. It was the scratching of the blank that made me uncomfortable.

Steve - Regarding packing the wrap... I get the impression that you get your layout threads near where they need to be but don't worry about exact placement until you are packing. If correct, can you give me a rundown on what you are watching for as you pack? The wraps I've done have been one thread at a time. I had a better idea of what I was doing on the second wrap; mostly watching that my remaining areas had the same width, corners were square, squares symmetrical. Am I on the right track?

Posted by: Steve Zayas (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 21, 2011 01:45AM

your right about packing, /when i do the layout treads i lay them out on the marks i made, like you said the tips of the marker is not fine like you need so lay the treads on the marks and move them a mm here or there to the exact measurements you need.you be suprised you dont have to overlap treads as much as you think,you probably could have opened space for the treads,Billy has a packing tool that works much better than the standard plastic ones its really good for dec wraps.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.198.---)
Date: April 21, 2011 09:09AM

I'm no expert on wraps/weaves, but scratching a blank just doesn't seem like a good method. I just did one and usde a sharp soft lead pencil to mark on the blank. I see no problems with it, and it appears to work just fine. Finish went on fine, no sign of any problems from the graphite. Anyone know why I shouldn't be doing this?

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2011 04:16PM

my favorite way is just the finest tip you can find of those silver or metallic whatever they are sharpies. a little dot and im good. keep the thread right on it and i have no problems. biggest problem is not paying attention to the layout thread and just puking the threads on the blank. but when you pack, everything moves and your wrap isnt aligned. then you have to pack everything back. lol. its worth it in the end though.

Posted by: Bob Grobolsek (---.mcleodusa.net)
Date: April 22, 2011 07:47AM

I'm relatively new to this, but I have had pretty good success using the glare line from my shop lights to keep the crossovers in a straight line. I mark the locations using a white out type pen, and re-adjust as needed to keep the spacing right.

Posted by: HANK Turner (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 22, 2011 05:09PM

Ask Billy Viovona, he's one of the best

Posted by: Jim Meallows (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: April 24, 2011 12:06PM

I have used and on occasion still use the white china marker. I had the same frustration in not getting an exact point so after my initial threads would be laid down I would align the wrap. I always made a mark at each end of the wrap beyond where the wrap would end and would have those lined up. Then I would tape down a length of thread on those marks at each end and see how my wrap lined up on the thread and adjust as necessary.

Now I just picked up one of those white out pens at wally world and the marks were much more accurate but I still did the alignment as a force of habit

I also picked up one of Billy's packing tools at ICRBE this year and it is a great tool. Love it

I also don't like the scratch method. Just me but I don't like to scratch up the rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster