I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reaming cork by hand?
Posted by: Adam Curtis (74.7.62.---)
Date: April 19, 2011 05:59PM

Hey guys,

Probably discussed before but I couldnt find anything using the search function.

I'm currently reaming cork by hand. A. using a reamer from MudHole and B. slowly with drill bits.

Couple things happen here.

- The reamer from MudHole isnt big enough to make the hole sizes I need for the butt section and sometimes I get splitting when applying the cork. I know I can just get bigger reamers but I dont want to invest in something that I will need to manicure (replace the sandpaper) over and over again.

- When I go in with a drill bit to get a bigger I.D it sometimes creates wobbly hole and the cork isnt centered perfectly.

I dont have a lathe and was wondering what you guys use to ream out cork by hand.

Thanks for your time.

Adam-

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reaming cork by hand?
Posted by: Joel Barnett (---.dsl.dynamic.sonic.net)
Date: April 19, 2011 06:19PM

Look at Flex Coat's "How we do it" videos:

Making a power reamer: [www.flexcoat.com]

Building a preshaped cork handle: [www.flexcoat.com]

These tell you how to keep your holes center.

Date: April 19, 2011 06:34PM

Thats the stuff! Excellent videos.

Thank you!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 19, 2011 06:38PM

I'm assuming you don't take RodMaker. If you ever get ahold of any of those coarse-cut files we showcased you'll be knocking out those grips in about a minute flat. They cut the heck out of cork in just a few strokes.

Even better, a set of the Flex Coat Reverse Pilot Bits, which you can make yourself (instructions also in RodMaker from Roger himself) will enlarge cork to the needed diameter in single pass, and leave the bore concentric to boot. After that, you have very minimal reaming to do in order to match the blank taper.

Date: April 19, 2011 06:56PM

Tom,

The coarse- cut files must be covered in back issues?

Link to where I can see them?

Thanks!

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: April 19, 2011 08:19PM

I finally bought the Batson dream reamer, the whole kit, and I will never look back. Worth it, even if I have to replace sandpaper. So easy to use. That Flex Coat video looks great, too.

Greg

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: April 19, 2011 09:36PM

Adam:

First off, don't force the cork down on the blank. You don't want to clean all of the glue off the blank/cork. Forcing the cork down will cause splitting of the cork. I have a set of reamers that are made from pieces of rod blank with grit glued on them (FlexCoat). I have been using these for 20+ years, and they are still working. I know that this is the old slow method, but then again, I am old an slow guy.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2011 01:01AM

Adam,
I have tried using sand paper or grit coated reamers but never liked them very much.
Rather, I use a hand held variable speed, reversible electric drill to hold various sizes of either round tapered files, reverse pilot bits. machinest reamers, or aircraft extension bits of appropriate sizes.

Using combinations of these tools, along with 2 or 3 drills so that I don't have to change bits when changing tools, I can generally ream out a handle in a couple of minutes.

If you would like further comments, pictures or to ask a question; just drop me an e-mail at

hflier@comcast.net

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: April 20, 2011 07:09AM

The two things that have made my life much better when it comes to grips...

#1 - Predrilling rings to just under the blank diameter.

#2 - The set of reamers I made.

And...a close third...Flexcoat pilot bits. This would be numer one if I wasn't predrilling rings before glue up.

I've purchased reamers, including the Dream Reamer kit. But my favorite ones are ones I made. I purchased two scrap rod blanks and a half a dozen closeout ice rod grips. I cut the blanks into staggered 18" lengths. That way, when I ream all the way up to the grip on one reamer, the next size reamer fits inside the grip several inches. All my sizes overlap well. And my biggest reamer is about 28" and will do some very long grips. I wrapped thin masking tape around the tip and then spiraled a line up to the ice rod grip. Coated with a high strength epoxy and grit. Unmasked and let cure.

As far as I'm concerned, eliminating as much reaming as possible is the way to go. And quality reamers make quick work of what little you do have to ream.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Date: April 20, 2011 01:23PM

Thank you everyone for the responses. You've saved me quite a bit of time!

Adam-

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 20, 2011 04:44PM

Mud holes adhesive strips work very well. Don't use the grit. it will come off the reamer and stay in side the cork and scratch the blank as you slide it down it.

make your own reamers with them and pieces of scrap blanks
I take correct sizes of other blanks and glue them inside the reamer so they fit my drill chuck when the reamer is to large to fit it.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: April 21, 2011 10:41AM

How do the flexcoat pilot bits work on cork - do they cut cleanly? I just imagine them tearing the cork up. Does anyone use the reverse pilot flexcoat bits to ream?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2011 11:34AM

Rich,
I think that any cutting bit will rip and tear cork a bit.
The big advantage of the flex coat pilot bits, by feeding the shaft of the bit through the cork before drilling, is that the hole in the grip stays centered.

Although the bits cut relatively cleanly, there is always a chance that they might chunk out a piece of grip at the edge of the hole.

As a result of this possibility and what I found when doing some test boring, is that I NEVER use a cutting bit for out outside edge of the grip hole.

Rather, I will use a reamer, to get the first 1/8th - 1/4 inch of hole reamed cleanly and to size. I use a caliper to measure the blank at the position of the particular hole to be reamed.
Then, I ream the end of the grip to that exact hole size. I flip the grip around, measure the blank for that end of the grip and then ream the grip to the exact hole size.

I will now select a reverse pilot bit that just fits - with no cutting action into the smaller hole. Then, I drill 1/2 way through the grip.
I will now flip the grip around, select a pilot bit to just fit into the reamed hole without touching the clean edge. Now, I will slip the bit through the grip, and drill the grip out 1/2 way.

Now, use the reamer to clean up the little bit of residual internal grip material that you need to have the handle have a nice fit on the blank.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster