I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

neon lime green Maderia thread and cp.
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2011 08:51PM

I just got done wrapping some guides on my rod and with that bright lime green neon maderia thread, so when i put that cp over the thread cause it called for it, it darkened the thread really dark, you can not even notice it is lime or neon, is that how it is supposed to turn out,I thought maybe after it dried it would brighten up but it has been like 2 hours and it is still an dark , i don't even know what color to call it now that the cp has darkened it. any input on this, or should I have left the cp out of it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: neon lime green Maderia thread and cp.
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2011 09:13PM

Sometimes the type of CP makes a difference. Its a good idea with threads needing CP to do a quick test wrap to see what is going to happen. I have used that color and CPed with Chromaseal and it had minimum darkening.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2011 09:18PM

Lorenzo, I just uploaded a photo of a weave I did using Madeira thread. I use Flex Coat CP on all of my weaves and have not had any problem with color changes on the Madeira thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2011 09:25PM by Ellis Mendiola.

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2011 09:31PM

Just put flex coat on 9 neon lime green wraps today they turned alittle dark(normal) dried same color as on spool..Have also as Ellis ha used it with crosswraps with good results.

Date: April 18, 2011 09:40PM

I used Carsons water based crystal, I am thinking thatt maybe the oils in my fingers could have darkened the thread, I just noticed that when I rub the thread with my fingers it becomes darkened, so that might be a factor in that darkening the thread. next time I will use latex gloves, and see what happens.

Posted by: Walt Stock (---.dtccom.net)
Date: April 18, 2011 09:55PM

The U-40 brand worked for me - used the same thread many times with good results. Just finished some wraps tonight actually.

Hope it turns out better over time.

Cheers

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns13.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 19, 2011 01:32AM

Hi Lorenzo,
I use a lot of Madeira thread, including the fluro green. Always dries the same clour as on the spool. I'm using Threadmaster cp.
ESFNEM Col

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 19, 2011 02:40AM

Lorenzo,

I use both Flex Coat and U-40 and the results are all good. Sounds like a re-wrap to me???

Tight lines,

John Hernandez

SoCal

Posted by: Sean Endres (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 19, 2011 08:33AM

If it is not packed tight that will cause darkening issues also.

Sean Endres
North East Rod Builders
New London, CT

Posted by: Harry Kelly (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 19, 2011 09:05AM

Before you wrap the rod...lay everything out and where the neon thread is going paint the blank WHITE or SILVER then wrap....when done CP two coats...... The darkening is coming from the blank....

Date: April 19, 2011 10:42AM

I am pretty sure it is the oil from my fingers, most of them brightened up, except for a couple, Its a 2 piece ultra light, so the bottom half I am going to wear gloves and see if that is going to keep them from darkening. I will not rewrap, since this is my rod, if it was someones elses, it sure would rewrap, definately. Thanks fro all the input, Tight lines to you too!

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (38.127.195.---)
Date: April 19, 2011 10:51AM

You have to mark where the guides are going to be, then paint that sections white. Then wrap over the paint twice, so there are two layers of thread. If you do that the color will not change. I use casons crystal clear cp.

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2011 12:54PM

That's too much work and not neccesary

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 19, 2011 01:09PM

I'm gonna guess not packed tight as you thought, or improper CP application. Several years ago Mick MComesky did a CP test where he put chickengrease and facial oils on threads and coated with CP and there were no issues. Search teh photo page.

CP is a nightmare - mostly becxaue people rely too much on what other people use. Test all the CP's yourself. I know for a fact that several of the posts in this thread are inaccurate, and I've got several test sticks worth of rods with all the CP's mentioned on various Madeira an dGudebrod threads to prove it. But it doesnt' matter, becasu eas long as the individual is satisfied with teh results and they are able to use the product, then that is the only thing that matters.

Date: April 19, 2011 02:13PM

I really want to why only two of teh guide wraps came out darkened and the rest where fine, they lightened up the next morning, but, like you wrote as long as the individual is satisfied with the results, and able to use the product, that is the only thing that matters, I've used this cp on other madeira threads, and came out alright, but thanks for the input, have a good one!

Posted by: Kerry Way (---.fv.ks.cox.net)
Date: April 23, 2011 12:34AM

you most likely put more cp on the guides that took longer too dry and return to the desired color. i use silver sharpies to lighten the blank under light colored threads to keep the colors true.

Date: April 23, 2011 12:52AM

I am now doing a in-, in- deco wrap, and is wearing latex gloves with bright colors, like white ect. they are turning out really bright , i will just wait and see how it goes when I apply the cp,I will lwt you all know, i think it came from some thing on my fingers,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster