I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy brusher cleaner alternatives
Posted by: Bill Jovanovski (---.bfcz1.lon.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 15, 2011 05:14PM

Hi
Im using U-40 Brush cleaning but Im looking for an alternative product here in AUS. The bottle doesnt say what the active incredients are so I dont know what I shoud be looking for as an alternative.

Any product that will help clean expoxy fo I can re-use some of the more expensive brushes that I have.

Cheers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy brusher cleaner alternatives
Posted by: Lou Wasmund (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 15, 2011 05:27PM

I keep a brush suspended in DNA . Keeps it fresh and clean for multiple rods. I use a baby food size jar with a hole in the middle just large enough to allow the brush to sit 1/2 way into the bottle. That way the solids settle to the bottom but the brush stays out of the muck.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 15, 2011 05:37PM

The advantage to the U-4- product is that it does not require any "cleaning" on your part and it does not rapidly evaporate - what you pour into a cup today will be about the same amount left in the cup a week or more later. I just leave my brushes in a small cup of the U-40 cleaner and only remove them when I'm ready to finish another rod.

If you simply wish to clean and rinse your brushes off, and have no plans to leave them soaking, the DNA (denatured/solvent) alcohol recommended above is fine.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 15, 2011 06:04PM

I clean all my brushes in Medium Temperature lacquer thinner. When i am done with epoxy I ( in a small mayonnaise jar ) i put it in let it sit, and have not had any problems on how clean it is

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Larry Ohara (---.clppva.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 15, 2011 06:15PM

Tom,
Are you saying that you just epoxy...lower you brush in the U-40 and then pull your brush out when you are epoxying again? No drying?

Which in my case maybe a couple of days or even a week before I need to epoxy. I have always used Acetone to clean my brushes and thoroughly dry them...ie let them sit for awhile to air dry.

Are there any issues with the U-40 residue "contaminating' the epoxy?

Wouldn't this be an issue also with DNA?

If there are no issues this would save me from using the acetone

Thanks,

Larry

Date: April 15, 2011 06:19PM

You can't really leave DNA nor Acetone out in the open with brushes soaking - they'll evaporate almost overnight. The U-40 product don't do that. I let mine sit in the stuff until I'm ready to use it again, then pull it out and wipe with a paper towel and allow to air dry for about 10 minutes (while I prepare the rod and mix the finish).

If you feel better about it, just remove and rinse in cold, clear water and allow to air dry about 10 minutes before using it.

Date: April 15, 2011 06:25PM

Thanks for the reply guys.

Some useful tips there.

Im with tom on this one. I too would like to know if there are any contamination issues.

I too have acetone but generally use it for cleaning up epoxy on overspills on eva grips. Always wonder if using acetone to clean brushes would contaminate future epoxies.

Date: April 15, 2011 06:26PM

No, it won't. The thing is, any time you clean with a solvent the best course of action is always to then wash with warm water and common soap, followed by a cold water rinse. More than anything, this restores the softness and fullness of the brush bristles.

Date: April 15, 2011 06:52PM

Thanks Tom.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 16, 2011 01:36PM

I've been doing the same thing as Tom for the past 4 or 5 years, leaving my brush in the U40 Crush solvent forever. I never have contamination issues, and I've gone 3-4 months between uses. One thing to be careful about, the first itme oyu put a brush in there if there is a finish on the wood it will come off. I cut my brushes short enouhg to fit inside the bottle so I can put the cap on. A LOT of people keep their brushes stored in the $40 product, zero issues.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2011 03:00PM

[en.wikipedia.org]

Xylene can be used with care and proper ventilation. A very good solvent and cleaner and thinner for epoxy of various sorts.

Roger

P.S.
Note the caution statemens on the above definition if you decide to use it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster