I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

"Broom Stick" Pitching Stick
Posted by: Scott Melancon (---.cctechnol.com)
Date: April 15, 2011 10:52AM

Hello,
I am looking for a little feedback regarding a request from a customer. He is looking for a 7'6" XH Fast action rod to pitch big jigs and punch rigs and he wants it to be a broom stick. He also wants as much sensitivity as possible. I have a couple blanks that may fit the build but unfortunately he lives out of state. My thinking was.....

MHX FS906
Batson IFS906
Castaway BB2 (not a Fast Action but I have build a couple and my customers really like them)

All feedback welcomed.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Broom Stick" Pitching Stick
Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 15, 2011 10:56AM

Well they say your first instinct is right and you've got the MHX blank listed first. Just follow that little voice in the back of your mind.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2011 11:12AM

Scott,
Check out the Diamondback musky rods for a heavy duty pitching stick that is also very light:

[www.amazon.com]

I am not sure of the current source for the bare blanks at this time.

Roger

Posted by: Todd Badgley (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2011 11:28AM

I know you'll get all different ideas. I've built several Castaway BB1's and BB2's. One of the reasons I like the Castaway blanks is the Moderate action. I would urge you to talk with your customer and ask him why he wants a fast action. I usually can't get an answer other than that's what they've always used. Gary Klein is well known for fishing jigs and he strongly prefers a moderate (parabolic) action. The reason is lost fish at the boat.
I would suggest a balancing weight for the butt. A flippin stick for punching and large jigs gets very tiring. A balanced rod feels lighter and is much easier to fish.
The castaway BB2 is a great blank and very sensitive.

Todd

Posted by: mike harris (---.cluster-h.websense.net)
Date: April 15, 2011 11:40AM

I haven’t measured a BB2 but I have measured both of the FS blanks you have listed and a BB1. The BB1 is definitely faster than either of the other 2 you have listed, it comes down to different definitions of fast and moderate, it is also slightly less powerful. All of the blanks you have listed are great blanks, but if it is a broomstick you want I would probably go with the BB2.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: April 15, 2011 01:43PM

My choice would definitely be the BB2. I also don't want a fast action for a heavy jig rod.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 15, 2011 02:09PM

Customer preferences using words are very difficult to use when selecting blanks.

Tell him to bring the one he likes to you -

Put your rod blanks on a duplicator board and check them out for action and power'

Here is what you will find -

More valuable then the words of fast and extra fast.

The photo is Forhan/Klein finsihed rod and the BB2 blank. BB2 on Top / Forhan/Klein finished flip stick on bottom under same same load.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Anybody that asked for an extra fast broomstickn for bass fishing would probably turn the rod into a multipiece on his hook set!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2011 03:57PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Scott Melancon (---.cctechnol.com)
Date: April 15, 2011 02:35PM

Thanks for all the input. I was actually leaning towards the BB2 as I am most familiar with this blank and it has proven to work in this application. What I failed to mention was that he lives out of state so putting a rod in his hands and or looking at a rod he like is out of the question. I am also a fan of a little slower action for this application but without building on the other blanks and respecting his F action request I wanted to do a little research.

Scott

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster