I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finesse Baitcaster for Smallmouth
Posted by: Mitch Leppelmeier (---.dsl.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 14, 2011 09:50PM

Im looking for a blank to build as a baitcaster for river smallmouth. Line will be 8 lb mono on a daiwa sol reel. Lures will be 1/8 oz spinnerbaits, in line spinners like rooster tails, small top water and weightless 4" senkos. The fish aren't huge with a big catch being around the 3lb mark. I was looking for a 6'6" blank. Had may eyes on the lamiglas LSJ 781 or Phenix UMBX-S606L-B. Has anyone built on either of these or have any other ideas.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finesse Baitcaster for Smallmouth
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2011 09:59PM

Mitch,

Go a few inches longer and get an 822.5 from Batson (I use mine for all kinds of finesse fishing techniques). I use the RX8+ model personally, and it is a phenomenal blank for throwing the little stuff with plenty of backbone for fish of the size you are catching. This, along with the slightly more powerful 823 have to be two of the most versatile blanks I use. You won't be disappointed. I know the Batson 1 powered spin jig is a tad underpowered for what you are looking for, but have no idea on the Lamiglas.

Joe

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: April 14, 2011 10:42PM

We have built a couple of Batson Rainshadow IP840 for exactly that, the customer using a small Daiwa special bait casting reel and 6# test line.
The blank is fairly soft in the first half, with some backbone.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 14, 2011 10:43PM

A little longer rod will allow you to more effectively set the hook. I'd be looking at something around 6'6" or more.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.93.18.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 14, 2011 11:16PM

The MHX-DS820 or DS821 will cast that lure a country mile and set the hook like a mad man. It;s just depending on whether you'd rather have a 0 or 1 power.

Posted by: Ken Tong (---.mobile.mymmode.com)
Date: April 15, 2011 12:24PM

What reels are you using that let you cast lures that light?

Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2011 06:03PM

I'm a big fan of the St Croix 4C69MLXF or the 4C68MXF for those applications.

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2011 09:24PM

Ken,

I started building because I wanted casting rods that suited my style of throwing small lures. I use the Shimano Citica 100DSV and the Curado 100b. Both models are discontinued now. The Bass Pro Carbonlite reel looks like a good prospect for when I need a new reel, but that likely won't be any time soon. Look for something that holds between 100 and 125 yards of 12lb. line, and you are in the ball park for finesse casting reels. The goal is to find a reel with low spool inertia, and that either comes at a steep price, or having a good idea of what you need.

The most important thing when considering finesse baitcasting is the rod blank. You want something with a limber tip and a fast to extra fast action. The limber tip on the lower power extra fast drop shot blanks allows lures in the lower weights to load nicely. The drop shot type blanks make for phenomenal light casting rods, and still have a surprising amount of power in the butt section. The low powered spin jig blanks are also nice for open hook presentations.

Joe

Posted by: Don Baker (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 18, 2011 03:09PM

Mitch, I have the xmg spin-jig Lami and have been using it to fish for white bass for the last 6 years. It is a great small river rod . I think you would find it a dream for river smallies. It will handle the baits you listed very well, I use a Revo Premier with mine and it is one of my all time favorites.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster