I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Deep Cranker Handle Length
Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: April 13, 2011 10:29PM

I'm about to start a build on a castaway 965 xp3, the customer wants a handle length similar to the KVD tour series 7'10" cranker....does anyone have the measurement from the butt to the back of the reel seat? I have the overall length, but I need to figure out what size rear grip to order. He is more concerned about a comfortable rod, so has anyone built on this blank, and if so, what length of the rear grip did you settle with? He's wanting a full length cork grip with the new fuji acs seat. thanks for the help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Deep Cranker Handle Length
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: April 13, 2011 10:56PM

Looked like about 11 inches to me when I did the spread hand test on a store rod.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: April 13, 2011 11:08PM

have him measure from elbow to wrist. Add a half inch (which could be the butt cap) and there is your handle for it to be comfortable for him.

if he also wants comfort, loose the ACS and use an ECS.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Joel Barnett (---.dsl.dynamic.sonic.net)
Date: April 13, 2011 11:12PM

After looking on Tackle Warehouse's site, and using their measurement for length from butt to tip of foregrip for proportion, I figured the length to be 10.5in. I am assuming the picture they post for that specific rod is actually of the right rod, but from their pictures of the other handle configurations, it appears they are showing the right one.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 14, 2011 10:44AM

What is sold in the stores may slightly be different than what Elites actually use.

Presently the Elites are split on the use of graphite and glass for deep divers.

Boith graphite and glass are used. The KVD is a E Glass blank featurring a low recovery rate for fish control..

The Castaway 965 is a small rear diameter braphite blank when compared to the KVD tour E Glass series.

Most Elites set up the handle length for their personal rods for the purpose of fish control without any interference with arm and clothing for both graphite and glass cranking rods.

Any bumping, jerking or hitting during the time of fish recovery can cause a lure to be thrown and the fish to swim free..

Most will desire seven foot rods with a shorter grip ( 8.5 - 9.0 ) than is typically sold in stores..

On the longer rods like the Castaway 7'6" graphite and the 7' 10' Glass the grips are normally requested at around 10.5".

The rear diameter of the XP3 965 will allow the use of a exposed blank seat. Alex is correct on the seat choice. The fixed positioning of the fingers by the ACS does not allow finger shifting during a hard days work. It can be quite uncomfortable when you can not move fingers around when the hand gets cramped during long periods of hard cranking. The diamater of the Castaway 965 is smaller than the glasa blanks and is matched up by Fuji ESCM and Castaway fully exposed seats.

On larger diameter E adn S glass blanks a two piece seat is preferred by most. Presently the standard Fuji 17 and 18 fits perfectly on the large diameter glass blanks without arboring.

Contact Swampland today for your crank rod needs which include the new Batson Rear Grip EVA sets used on many of the tour series cranking rods.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Edit to post refer to Mike Harris Post below.

Again there are compromises that custom builders can deal with when all the information is on the table.

Good post Mike - the average weekend angnler guy simply can not win on both of the ends of the spectrum where cranking rods are concerned- some of the swim bait is evern worse - push the grip out - bad weather gear and you will loose fish - the Elites are physically capable of doing things the average angler can not do. KVD's success has allow many to market things using his name that may not end up ieth the same results when altered for public sale. Once again you will find the presence of Rich Forhan looming in the background - he is still involved! His use of the old Seeker S glass started the cycle of lfish engagement wht KVD uses for his success - and what success it has been - few can argue..

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2011 12:34PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: mike harris (---.cluster-h.websense.net)
Date: April 14, 2011 10:45AM

I am sure that 10.5 is probably right for the KVD rod, I am also sure that that is way too short for that rod. On a deep cranking rod I like a long handle, more like 13-13.5 inches, I like the extra length to brace the rod against your elbow or belly to resist the strain from a hard pulling lure like a DD22 or Hot Lips. I can guarantee that if you try to fish one of these baits for any length of time with too short of a handle your wrists will turn to jelly. People like KVD fish for a living and are very reluctant to change anything, they are in way better condition than the average angler and if their wrists do get sore they will go to the gym before they would get a rod with a longer handle. For the average angler they would be much more comfortable fishing these baits with a longer handle.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster