I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Opinions please-Best Spinning Real Seat for Bass
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.physics.kent.edu)
Date: April 12, 2011 03:40PM

Joe,

If you wrap it on with thread and finish, it isn't going anywhere, until you cut it off.

Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pedro Gomez (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 12, 2011 03:46PM

Bill Stevens,

Can you post or email me the actual weight in grams of the Fuji DNPSM-18/20 reel seats before and after the mods. I appreciate it.

Thanks,

Pedro

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2011 04:07PM

I have used this seat on several 7' spinning rods and really like how it feels/looks/functions.

Reel Seat Fuji DPSSD17

Posted by: Joe Johnson (---.static.orml010.digis.net)
Date: April 12, 2011 04:17PM

Joe- I'm a little confused. How do you wrap it and dry it with the reel attached? Seems I can't "wrap" my mind around that. ha ha

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 12, 2011 04:43PM

MudHole "Comfort wood" reel seats because of the palm filling "hump" and the larger diameter than the Aero seats by AmTak (which are also comfortable but too small a diameter for comfort)

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2011 05:15PM

i ran into the same problem so i designed the SBSS (Sticks N Bones Spinning Seat) you can make it in 3 different sizes and from any material. it was in Rodmaker magazine on how to make one..

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 12, 2011 05:26PM

Pedro the 35% weight reduction I noted in the Photo was accurate.

I really hacked the things up and took off all the graphite I could.

When you use this stuff for small diameter blanks tihe issue of seat weight reduction must also include add backs for arbor and epoxy

My main objective for these seats was comfort with the smallest weight penalty possible.

I have custom split Tennessee grips done by Rich Forhan that are the lightest possible befoe the invention of the new foam materials - I just do not have the patience to glue up high quality rings..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2011 05:39PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: April 12, 2011 06:19PM

I like the TN handles. I also want to try JP's handle soon.

I spent an hour with the client that ordered this rod. [www.rodbuilding.org] I had him hold several tubes until he settled on the size that felt right for him. The flash ruined the look. The grey wraps blend into the RX8 TC very nicely. There is some multicolor glitter in the finish to match the holo decal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2011 06:20PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Pedro Gomez (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 12, 2011 06:28PM

Bill Stevens,

I never doubted you on the 35% weight reduction. I just wanted to find out the actual weight of the reel seat but I guess you don't know it or don't want to post it. As you can see I started a thread earlier today with the full specs for all of the reel seat I currently have and I asked other members to add some of theirs. I like to find out about this kind of things and keep a record on file for later use.

Thanks,

Pedro

Posted by: Cheng Moua (198.228.225.---)
Date: April 12, 2011 06:52PM

I like the ips and vss seats in 17. I just started building with the aeros and I really like the feel of them. I should be able to take them out pretty soon and see how comfortable they are in an all day situation.
on another note, when I first started building, I built a rod for my wife with a size 16 skeleton. She's got small hands and that seat was really uncomfortable for her. even during 3hr trips she would tell me that her hands hurt from the seat.
still waiting to build a tennesee handle for myself.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2011 06:56PM

Joe,

First to make wrapping the reel easier, I made the following mod to my wrapping jig:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The threaded rod is just bolted into one of the uprights on the jig in a place that will allow clearance for the reel shaft.

Drying requires turning the rod by hand. It happened to work out nicely with my jig that the reel handle can be rested on one of the uprights and balance the rod with the reel straight up. It does require some careful babysitting for a couple of hours, but the result is well worth it. Flip the rod every few minutes at first, and begin to widen the gap as the epoxy sets. You could finish with light coats of Permaglos or Lumiseal that doesn't require much turning, but the reel would be harder to remove when the time comes.

Joe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 12, 2011 08:08PM

Stay with the Aero seat - That is the best factory seat -- Unless you make your own

Paint it - trim it ---- but Keep The hump

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: April 12, 2011 08:49PM

For those that find the Aero seat nice but a tad small.......ever try it in uplocking configuration? I ask because it never occured to me to try it that way until someone suggested it. I haven't fished it that way but it "feels" like it has promise.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: April 12, 2011 09:31PM

Dave Wylie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have used this seat on several 7' spinning rods
> and really like how it feels/looks/functions.
>
> Reel Seat Fuji DPSSD17

Soft Touch and Cobra seats were discontinued awhile back unless I am mistaken.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2011 09:36PM

I second Mr. Vanfossen
Like mikes set up also, but would still wrap the reels like a guide

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: April 13, 2011 06:36AM

My Tenn handles are made with the graphite tubing and using the plastic rings. What I have found that helps hold the rings in place real well, is using a small strip of flat rubbing inside the ring opposite the reel. I have not had the rings slip on me at all like this.

Posted by: mike harris (---.cluster-h.websense.net)
Date: April 13, 2011 08:50AM

The secret to keeping the reels tight on the Tennessee handles is to use fiberglass reinforced strapping tape, that tape sticks well to cork, but it sticks to the carbon so well that you can push on the reel and the stem will flex but the reel foot is not going anywhere. The black tape is only for looks and smoothing out any sharp edges on the reel foot, you could leave it with just the strapping tape and it would still work fine. I experimented with using tennis grip wraps, which have a nice tacky texture, but I couldn’t find any that were as thin as the electrical tape, that made the grip too big for my hands. I may try to build one with an intentionally undersize handle so I can use the grip wrap and end up with the correct handle diameter.

Of course Steve and the others are right that using thread and finish is a very good solution.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 13, 2011 10:15AM

Make your own hump out of cork, eva. Any size to your comfort. Then glue it to the top of a spin seat.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: April 13, 2011 02:22PM

I like a split-seat with cork insert and hidden hood.... when finished, only a small portion of the threads are exposed, the rest of the seat and handle are 1" diameter cork... very good combination of light weight, comfort. It's secure, and as quick and easy to change out reels as a standard handle.

Posted by: Joe Johnson (---.static.orml010.digis.net)
Date: April 13, 2011 02:31PM

It seems the Tennessee handle is "really" going to be my next personal project. I'm going to have to look at the aero and the size 18 and 20 fuji ergo seats.

Thanks a ton for the feedback, I've got a lot to think on now.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster