I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

SC5 7' 0" Heavy help?
Posted by: Tim Whitley (209.168.156.---)
Date: April 11, 2011 08:13PM

I am building for my use a SC5 7' feet Heavy action rod for C-rig and football jigs to be used on Guntersville. Spiral or not and will go with micro's, if all on top use size 4 all the way or start with a 6 and work down. If spiral what is suggested setup? Will use split grip thoughts on balance issues will I need weight in butt?

Thanks

Tim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SC5 7' 0" Heavy help?
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2011 10:15PM

I would spiral
6-5-4's or smaller to tip with
6mm tip

Posted by: Todd Badgley (---.sub-75-214-182.myvzw.com)
Date: April 11, 2011 10:16PM

I would recommend spiral. I have built this same rod with several different blanks. The spiral works great. 8. I start with a 5.5mm double foot on top at 0degrees. Next, 5mm single foot, and 4mm's to the tip. I normally fish 14-25# Fluorocarbon. If you fish braid with a fluoro leader, you need a small, compact knot. I don't fish a leader and the micro's work great. Drop me an email if you want my guide spacing. I've normally go to a weighted butt on a 7'6" heavy or extra heavy rod. On the 7' C-rig rod I normally don't use a weighted butt.

Remember, this is just my opinion, but it works pretty good.

Todd

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: April 12, 2011 06:55AM

I would spiral as well. I like using #6 double foot guides for the spiral then the 3 or 4's out to the tip. I like the double foot guides mainly for durability for when the rod is lying on the deck of the boat. For a weight, you might want to take a look at the Baston system. The one piece stays on the rod and you can choose a few different weights to add if needed.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 12, 2011 09:30AM

Spiral or al on top fine.

Be extremely carefull about the rear grip length.

Build the rod as light as possible.

Do not push the reel seat out on the rod simply to balance the rod.

One of the primary objectives of this rod will be fish control during the last 20 feet on the way to the boat.

Most of the time during this period the tip is down, pointed directly at the fish - a balancing system installed on too long of a rear grip may interefere. Hang up can cause hooks to be pilled.

If the length of the rear grip is too long it will interefere with keeping the rod on the nose of the ltournament winning fish when it shakes its head or starts playing the darting side to side game when it spots the boat. It will hang up on clothing and cost you a fish.

Many Elites use rear grips at 8.5 - 10 inches measuredd from the back of the butt cap to the front of the reel seat for similar rods including flip sticks.

With the blank you have chosen and the use of micro guides no additional wt will be needed for Carolina rigs work.

The Batson system works quite well if you desire to use the rod under contitions where the tip up bite deteciton is nelped with rear weight kits - you can use it with no hub or add one as needed..

Another advantage of the Bastons system is you can use the rod without the weight added until you get worn out from handling a tip heavy rod and add the weifth hub when needed. The rodund hub is designed to minimize hang up on clothing.

The Elites can fish all day without tiring - many recreational angles find it a requirement to balance to allow longer fishing time without tiring.

Working six or eight hours with a 7' 6" rod is a workout! A balancing kit helps many.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: April 13, 2011 12:04PM

When you lay a spiral wrapped rod on the deck with the reel up and resting on the handle, the single foot guides are the ones facing the carpet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2011 03:49PM by Chuck Mills.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster