I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dan Craft GXT 3wt
Posted by: Ed Casteel (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2011 05:01PM

OK think I'm leaning to on of the GXT 3xt 9' to build. Anyone build on the GXT. I've built a Sig V 5wt and it is by far the best casting rod i have. Casts as good as my buddies Sage and hign dollar St Croix rods.

Dan said these were slightly faster than the Sig V. This rod will be used for 15' leaders with 7X tippet casting strike indicators and size 18 - 26 midges and dries. Any feed back would be appreciated. What I love about the Sig V is I can feel the line in my hand at all times loading the blank, lots of power, yet very sensitive tip that protects my 7X tippets.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Craft GXT 3wt
Date: April 10, 2011 10:09PM

OK...took the plung. Ordered a Sig V 8'6" 3 wt. Blank is gloss black. Going to finish with grey thread and silver trim band with the spalted maple reel seat I turned on a titainium UL3 seat with matching single foot guides. Going to take a first attempt at turning a grip too. Going to be wood for and end caps with cork in the middle...wish me luck.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (170.146.227.---)
Date: April 11, 2011 03:04PM

Good luck! Post some photos when you get it finished.

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2011 09:08PM

Good Luck indeed! I'm still trying to get my mind around how you're going to manage controlling a 15' leader with a rod powered to deliver a 3 or 4 wt. fly line. I can barely control a 10' to 12' leader on a rod powered to optimally deliver a 5 wt. flyline and size 16-6 flies. But then, we grow ALOT of wind in my part of the country.

Date: April 14, 2011 11:11PM

Don't fish long distances and some high sticking with mostly size 20 - 22 midges. With a good rod not a problem. But then again not windy in Arkansas...well most of the time not windy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster