I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Surf Rod
Posted by: George Dirgo (---.dsl.bkfd14.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 08, 2011 10:59PM

I usually just build light spinning and casting rods for trout, bass... Have built heavier rods for stripers and catfish.Enough of that Here's the deal/question. My buddy that now lives in Texas wants me to build him a surf rod. One particular item that he desires is a tough grip. He says the PVC rod holders that he is using are eating/tearing the grips on his rods up. I was wondering if any of you could help me out with some ideas. I was thinking of just a cork tape grip. It would be easy to replace. I think he is looking more for something that is long lived and maintenance free. Since I'm not a surf fisherman I cannot fully adress his concerns/conditions. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

George

P.S Since this will be my first surf rod any and all sugestions unique to surf rod building will be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Surf Rod
Posted by: Wes Christy (---.rh1.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: April 08, 2011 11:47PM

i like the spray on bed liner. I.E. Rhino lining. you have to scuff the blank a bit but it is the most durable thing i have found yet. and it does not soak up all the fish guts and saltwater like foam or cork tape.

Posted by: George Dirgo (---.dsl.bkfd14.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 08, 2011 11:52PM

Thanks Wes, Sounds like a innovative and creative solution. I'll run the idea past him and see what he thinks. I like it.....

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: April 09, 2011 01:24AM

go with a cord handle..it is very durable and can easily be replaced..another option would be to use a shrink grip

Posted by: Nuno Paulino (---.49.108.93.rev.vodafone.pt)
Date: April 09, 2011 04:22AM

I use shrinking tube in my surf rods.
And gives you the possibility to ad what ever you want under it to shape the grip.
Abraço

Nuno Paulino

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.169.popsite.net)
Date: April 09, 2011 04:41AM

George,

I'm on a short fuse for an expo and can not give you the time you deserve.

Surf rod has many meanings and the scope of surf rod is somewhat large.

As the problem was stated, the PVC is causing the problem.
Gently heat the PVC tube and stick something round into the opening to flare the tubes opening. No longer will the PVC be a cause of damage to fishing rods. You will have solved the problem at the source and not have to adapt all your friends rods.

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Jim Meallows (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: April 09, 2011 12:05PM

I build a lot of surf rods. The shrink grip is the way to go. Typically I will 1st put on a thin layer of cork tape. Then I usually use thin marine grade twine and wrap it in an X pattern over the cork tape. The heat shrink the quick grip onto that. Make sure to epoxy around the ends of the shrink tube to prevent water/sand intrusion. I will also usually use a rubber crutch butt cap

Posted by: George Dirgo (69.106.122.---)
Date: April 09, 2011 02:37PM

Thank guys, I really appreciate all the input. I'll present Jeff with all your options and let him decide. Donald I really like your idea of fixing the rod holder rather than design a rod to conform. Then you can have the grip you want with a rodholder that behaves itself.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2011 04:18PM

Fix the rod holder AND use Shrink Wrap

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.169.popsite.net)
Date: April 12, 2011 02:07PM

Hi George,

The expo has come and gone. It was a very busy 2 days.

I am not a big fan of using heat shrink tubing unless you have access to the quality of heat shrink that is used by Conoflex and Zziplex.

We use 3M Safety Walk tape (SSWALK-B 1"X60') when there are concerns of damage to the rods handle. It comes in 60' long rolls that are 1" wide. The link will give you some additional info. The down side is that should your hands be constantly wet due to continued use of the rod in the water, it will be rough on your hands. The up side is the great grip that it does provide. It is applied like cork tape. At the end of the grip or tape, build a thread ramp. Then continue with the thread onto the top of the tape for about 3/16". Glass (epoxy) the thread and you will have locked down the tape securely. Also, we only tape the the portions of the handle that will be subject to dameage. Most of our surf rod handles are about 34" in length. The butt has a 12" stainless steal butt cap. Above the butt cap we will have about 6" of tape so that the bottom 18" of the handle are protected. The 3M tape is also used for the grips with 6" of tape below the reel seat and about 5" of tape above the reel seat. I have used this tape on handles as small as 22mm. I can not speak for its ease of use on handles smaller than 22mm.

[store.safetysystemshawaii.com]#

Due to shipping costs to and from Hawaii, the costs will be a little high. I'm sure you will be able to find the tape at a more affordable price in your area.

Should you have additional queasions about the use of 3M tape, I suggest you post them to the following fishing message board. They will have broader experience. I do use the tape on my harder usage surf rods. I also use it on blanks that I test. It is easy and fast to put on and provides an excellent grip. One of my rods at the expo did have the 3M tape and I received several questions about it and how it was applied.

[www.ulua-fishing.com]

Hope this helps,
Don

Don Becker

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster