I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

X-flock question
Posted by: David Page (---.206.19.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 06, 2011 09:18PM

I'm thinking about trying out some x-flock on a rod for myself to give a good checking in to before I start offering it on rods that I sell. My question is how the heck do I get it to adhere to the handle? lol I thought it would be some of the shrink tube that would have the glue on the inside already but I guess i should have done a little more research before spending money. What are you guys using? I would assume a light coat of some rod bond would be OK but I figured it would be better to ask before I waste the money that I spent without doing enough research lol.

David Page
E-town, KY.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: X-flock question
Posted by: Lou Auret (---.sip.mem.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 06, 2011 09:29PM

Spray can glue. I think 3m make it. I was kind of leery about using rodbond and then applying heat.

Posted by: Jim Meallows (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: April 06, 2011 10:08PM

No glue on the inside but it does shrink down onto the rod when you hit it with a torch. If you order the right size it should shrink on pretty tight

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: April 06, 2011 10:33PM

David; Check this out, from Batson.
[clients.criticalimpact.com]

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Jon Gold (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 06, 2011 10:34PM

Barge Cement.
Works for me.

Posted by: Scott Sawa (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: April 07, 2011 01:43AM

You can use double sided tape
A buddy of mine used mounting tape to increase the overall diameter and to add some cushion to the handle. It comes in 60" rolls. Bought it at an office supply store

Posted by: Bob Caulkins (---.doc.wa.gov)
Date: April 07, 2011 11:04AM

I'm with Lou.
I used an EVA foregrip, cut the tubing to length (allow a little extra so it contours), then a coat of spray adhesive. From there a little work with a heat gun and it came out very nice. When shrinking down the ends, I kept heat on them after it fully shrunk, and would then press the ends against a flat surface. Formed up well in my opinion.

Posted by: David Page (---.206.19.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 07, 2011 01:39PM

Very good gentlemen, that's the info that I needed. Still curious though if anyone's tried just little dabs of rod bond around the handle before you put the x-flock on? Seems like it would work but if the spray on stuff is easier then that's how I'll go for sure.

David Page
E-town, KY.

Posted by: Jody Pierce (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 08, 2011 08:41PM

I picked up this tip from a guy on another forum. It worked well for me. Apply double sided tape to the area you are covering. Fold up one end of the xflock to seal it and pour in a little denatured alcohol. Shake it around in the tube and dump it out. Immediately slide the tube onto the rod. This will help the x flock to slide easily over the double sided tape. Let it dry for 5 - 10 minutes then apply heat to shrink the wrap. The x flock fits pretty snug on it's own so just a little adhesive should get the job done.

The only thing I would worry about with rod bod is small lumps. When I used the tape method, there were some small gaps between the wraps of tape. I didn't think the gaps would show through the x flock but if you look closely they do.

Posted by: Jason Groombridge (---.TAS.netspace.net.au)
Date: April 09, 2011 11:05PM

G'day David,

I haven't used Rod Bond specifically but another epoxy glue. I just brushed it thinly over the whole cork grip, slid the X-Shrink on hit it with the heat gun. Worked fine and is still going strong.

Cheers

Jason

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster