I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Power Question
Posted by: Kevin Bergeron (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: April 04, 2011 05:36PM

When speaking of a rod's power, Med Lt, Med, Med Hvy, etc. How much do these terms relate to the size of fish you are catching? Or is it only for the size of lure the rod is rated for?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Power Question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 04, 2011 05:48PM

Those are subjective terms and don't really tell you anything about a rod's power. But within that classification, they relate to actual rod power, not just lure casting weight. Again, however, a "medium" power popping rod is not going to have the same power as a "medium" power Back Bouncing rod.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2011 07:23PM

So true. Years ago when Gary Loomis was with LCI he came to Houston and brought some rod blanks as demos for a local show. I was able to buy one and built it as a popping rod for one of my fishing pardners. Recently my friend wanted another rod similar to his old one. I made him a new popping rod but my friend said that he couid get a better hook set on redfish with his old one. To make a long story short, I realized that the first rod was built on a live bait blank and does not have a fast tip as most popping blanks do nowadays. I recently ordered an MHX live bait blank from Mudhole and I'll see if it will work out better for my friend.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 09:46AM

The power ratings will drive you crazy. Take a "Medium" power freshwater bass blank, and compare it to a "medium" surf blank, and you'll see that these two blanks, both labeled "medium," don't even belong in the same ZIP code.

The ratings are somewhat useful when you are at least a bit familiar with one or more blanks in a particular series. If there are six blanks in Widget Industries' Bass series, and they're rated from light to xx-heavy, you'll get a general idea of the relative merits of these six blanks: the heavy will have more power than the medium; the medium more than the light; the extra-heavy more than the heavy, etc. But this usefulness evaporates if you try to compare blanks in one series to blanks in another.

This is one thing that the common cents system does well. It provides an objective measurement of how much mass it takes to deflect a blank a certain amount -- this is a much more accurate, and reliable, way of describing a blank's power than words like "magnum heavy" or "light." If it takes 150 pennies to deflect the bass blank, and 450 to deflect the surf blank, then you'll get a very good idea of the inherent strength in each of these. This is a much better way than trying to do it descriptively, with words.

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 12:48PM

I've got to agree it is very difficult to tell what's what these days.
It seems to me about (5) years ago (and I'll talk about bass casting rods)
there was less variation. A medium action blank was in the 8 - 12 lb. line range.
Now depending on what blank it is medium is 10 - 17 lb. line and med/heavy in
the 12 - 20 lb. range.

I have the same dilema as Kevin - do you just go by line and lure rating?
I'm not very familiar with CCS and where to go for info on blanks.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: April 05, 2011 03:28PM

CCS "intrinsic power" is the best way I have found to define blank power. PacBay will be using it as the "power rating" for future blank models. The only difference between fly and gear blank definitions will be that CCS intrinsic power (or ERN for fly blanks) will be measured in grams rather than cents. This is because it is easier to use 1200 grams of lead to create a CCS deflection on a MagBass blank than it is to use 476 pennies.
Until manufacturers use a standardized method of measuring power, such as CCS intrinsic power, there will continue to be confusion about this issue in the marketplace.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 05, 2011 04:49PM

Well said. The thing is, many manufacturers actually prefer that consumers not be able to compare blanks across the board, from one manufacturer to another.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: April 05, 2011 06:33PM

This is true. However, I think adopting some more objective measurements would not necessarily eliminate everyone's ability to market product.
Take car companies for example. They don't just say slow, fast, really fast when describing the power of a vehicle's engine. They will typically use horsepower (a somewhat objective measurement) coupled with some flashy adjectives (like 350 hard-charging horsepower) to create a sense of objectivity in addition to warm fuzzy feelings about their product. When marketing a vehicle similar to the competition's, an auto company may also focus on the other benefits like warranty, raw material strength, etc, all of which could apply to rod blanks as well.
I think the real sticking point in getting everyone onto the same measurement system for rod blanks will be consumers gaining a frame of reference for one particular system of measurement (i.e. adoption of the metric system).

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster