I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Small Crankbait blank
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2011 08:09PM

I have the need for a very light crankbait blank. 1/8-1/4oz range, mainly small rapalas and the like. 7-7.5ft 1pc. Blank needs to be graphite or black in color and of good quality. I dont normally build this light....Suggestions? Thoughts on the Batson XP841 popping blank?

DR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2011 08:30PM by Duane Richards.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Small Crankbait blank
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: March 31, 2011 08:49PM

Pac Bay T2P842 for sure - it's plenty light, and a little more meat in the tip. The Rx7 would do well too, but the tip is a little lighter than what I'd like.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: March 31, 2011 10:08PM

Take a look at the Rainshadow RX8 XSW72ML. I know that it is in the walleye category, but that doesn't mean it is limited in use. After all, it is just a graphite tube without a true preference - it just wants to go fishing.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 31, 2011 11:29PM

i used an rx7 cb66ml for topwater. It will throw 1/4 oz poppers a mile. could always try the 70ml

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2011 11:53PM

Duane,
I probably wouldn't use a popping rod. I generally like a rod that is a bit slower than the classic popping rod.

Any of these in the right weight for what you want to toss would work very well.
[www.batsonenterprises.com]

Notice the more moderate actions of all of these blanks?

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2011 12:41AM

Duane don't discount the notion that you shouldn't use a popping blank as a crankbait rod. Down here in Louisiana and other parts of the country, an 843P or an 844P moderate to fast action are excellent choices for throwing shallow to medium diving crankbaits. I've been building on those two blanks for years just for that application and have a large following of customers that I've built that particular rod for. Whether I use blanks by Castaway, Batson, American Tackle or Phenix, it doesn't really matter. A moderate fast action graphite blank in the above models will put a lot of fish in the boat.

Lance

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: April 01, 2011 07:15AM

Back when they were available...the Loomis SJ781 IMX. I used quite a few of those for guys looking for UL/L baitcasters for their Pixies and Pressos. I did some at 6'6", but did even more extended to 7'.

Right now...I'd get the North Fork CB 701-1. I really liked my measurement numbers on that blank for rods in this class.

An Avid in L power would also be one to consider. The ML as well...although they get a little too meaty a little too fast for my liking.

Haven't used the Batson you're referring to, but most of the Popping blanks I've measured, came out with action just like St. Croix's Moderate action blanks.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2011 07:58AM

Roger, the RX7 popping blanks are moderate action.

DR - I have built the IP840, but I think the 841 would be better.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: April 01, 2011 10:49AM

I've found popping blanks to work very well for crankbait applications - they seem to bridge the gap between too fast and too moderate. I think alot of the 'crankbait' blanks offered can be too moderate in action - not everyone has the reactions of a tournament bass fisherman....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster