I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Collapsing Rod Tub
Posted by: Rodney Unruh (---.rva.org)
Date: March 31, 2011 12:12PM

A good many places that I fish have no trails along the streams and have heavy undergrowth of one type or another and include a bush-wacking hike to get to the water. Even with short sectioned pack rods, it seemed that I was forever getting my rod tube hung up on undergrowth as I concentrated on getting my rod (and myself) through the stream side brush. I tried carrying it over my shoulder on a sling and I tried stuffing it inside of my backpack. Neither solution really worked well. Either the tube was to long to completely fit inside of the back pack or it would catch and snag on brush as I was working my way through the thick stuff. This is especially true of the North Carolina streams I fish, but not so much where I am currently. ( I am currently living abroad)

About a year ago I had an idea to make a collapsing rod tube. The basic idea was to have a rod tube that would store the rod safely and allow me to hike into a back country stream, but yet not hinder me while fishing. What I did was make a two piece rod tube out of two different diameters of PVC with a compression fitting to snug it down. It is very much like the Cabela's travel rod tubes but a fraction of the size. It works like a charm! I don't have access to a wide selection of PVC fittings, so mine looks a bit cobbled together but it works great!

I built it mainly to see if the idea would even work and did not really plan on using it where I am currently living. It was mainly for when I got back to the States where I have much longer hikes into the stream. However, I have been using it here and have found it to really be nice.

Extended it is just a touch longer than each section of the rod and collapsed it is about 1/2 the length of each section. So for my 662-4, the collapsed length of the tube is just about 13.5 inches. That easily slips into a backpack.

I just returned from a day trip to a stream that is really nasty to get into and out of and was ever so grateful to have the rod tube for the hike in/out and not laying in the car. This makes a pack rod that much nicer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Collapsing Rod Tub
Posted by: Ray Mazza (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2011 08:43PM

Please post a picture of your creation. Thanks in advance

Posted by: Les Stewart (---.rh1.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: April 01, 2011 12:03AM

You need a good machete to hack your way through the jungle!

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: April 01, 2011 10:51AM

cool idea - a rod tube makes much more sense than a rod tub :-) I'd love to see a pic - I'm about to start a rod for a friend who fishes some heavy duty brush streams in the UP of Michigan - give him a collapsable rod tube to go along would be cool :-)

Posted by: Rodney Unruh (---.rva.org)
Date: April 01, 2011 11:20AM

I'll see if I can post a picture.

I do carry a local version of a machete, and I use it often!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster