I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Garage sale junk
Posted by: Richard Beecher (---.dhcp.hlrg.nc.charter.com)
Date: March 30, 2011 01:40PM

I was certain I had the winning number for the recent Mega Millions $319M jackpot, especially since when I bought the ticket I asked the guy to punch in the secret code that spits out the winning ticket. After finding out I didn't win I decided to suck it up and head over to the local Harbour Freight and finally buy the new lathe I would have bought with my new winnings. Along with a new center console boat, truck and house. On the way, just a couple of blocks from the house an older couple was setting up for a garage sale. I don't normally go to these things as I have enough of my own junk without paying for someone elses. As I drove by something caught my eye but didn't it register what it was until I was a few more blocks down the road. I decided to go back and give it a quick look. There in the garage was an almost new 42" heavy duty 5 speed drill press. The price was $75 but knowing everything at garage sales was negotiable I offered him 50 bucks, which he accepted. He helped me load it in my truck as as we were loading I mentioned that buying my lathe would have to wait another few weeks. He told me that he had a lathe in the back of the garage that was for sale but that he hadn't had time to put out with the other stuff. I checked it out and here is a brand new still in the box 10x18 lathe. I asked him how much? He said $75, I countered with $50 and he accepted.

I guess I got lucky after all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Garage sale junk
Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: March 30, 2011 01:45PM

Wow! nice job

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Posted by: Bob Mankin (---.nextweb.net)
Date: March 30, 2011 02:01PM

My kinda shopping trip.

Nice find.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2011 02:05PM

Why is it when I stop all I find is someone else's junk?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2011 03:08PM

You need to relabel your post as

Garage Sale - Good Stuff!!

Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 30, 2011 03:51PM

After that I would bet you go to more of them The season has just started

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 30, 2011 05:20PM

The saying goes...one mans junk is another mans treasure. Just last month my grinder burned up,was going to go buy a new new.But before I got around to it, I was going down the road one day and seen one on a stand at a yard sale. Turned around and went back to check it out. The man had a 6" craftsman with variable speed. He was asking $40.00 for it, but all I had was $30.00 on me. He said the day was slow and needed some cash so he said he would take it.He told me he had only used it about a dozen times..I really like the variable speed.So I guess you could say, I found a treasure?? <<<<DON>>>>

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2011 09:54PM

jealous over here..

Posted by: Kern Davis (184.4.182.---)
Date: March 31, 2011 01:00AM

See, you did win the lottery. Had you not turned around you would've spent twice the amount and only gained one new toy. I am still looking to find that same type of deal. Have fun with it!!!!!

Kern Davis, Lady Lake Fl.

Posted by: David Parker (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: March 31, 2011 08:12AM

Get out!!!!!!!!! Man how lucky can one guy be to hit a gold mine like that. I'd better start looking a bit closer when I pass by garage sales, for I'd love to have a lathe to turn my own cork grips......LOL!

David Parker
Certified Professional Rod Builder
www.fliesrodreelservice.com

Posted by: Cheng Moua (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 31, 2011 03:57PM

I'll buy it from you for $75!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster