I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro static test
Posted by: Joel Smith (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 29, 2011 10:28PM

This may be a stupid question with a simple answer but here goes. When using micros, if the line touching the blank doesn't really matter, then what are you looking for when performing a static test? In my mind,if the line is touching the blank or even dropping below, it will not be flowing with the bend of the blank. I don't want to start a debate over line touching the blank, so I guess this question is for those who don't believe this is an issue. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro static test
Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2011 10:45PM

You are looking for proper stress distribution along the blank when it is under load from the line: [www.rodbuilding.org].

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2011 10:46PM by George Forster.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: March 29, 2011 11:00PM

Helpful discussions:

[rodbuilding.org]
[rodbuilding.org]
[rodbuilding.org]

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: March 30, 2011 06:35AM

In my setups with micros, the line may touch the blank but it will not go below the blank. I don't put on so many guides as to keep the line from hitting the blank, but I look at how the line goes into the guide itself. I try to keep the angle the line forms in and out of the guide as small as I can. If the angle is too much, then the line would be going below the blank. That's when I will adjust the position and possible add a guide or 2 to get a better line path.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2011 03:36PM

My thoughts are, and I may be wrong. I assume you are building a bait caster (?) and if that is the case it should only be built in a spiral. There is no other way to keep the line off the blank.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Joel Smith (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 30, 2011 08:31PM

The build will be for a baitcaster on a CB80H. It will be for a swimbait made by a friend of mine called a High Power Herring. I set out to do a spiral but after a conversation with Bill Stevens the other morning, he changed my mind for some very logical reasons. The rod will now be built with all number 4' s on top.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2011 11:42PM

Bill,
Great advice.
But for a casting rod, there are some fishing techniques that simply are not well suited for executing with a spiral wrapped rod.

As with any type job, you can use many different tools for the same job. The same is true for fishing. Some types fishing are well suited for executing with a siral wrapped rod. There are other types fishing that simply are not well suited for a spiral wrapped rod.

So, it is up to the builder to match the needs and desires of the client.

I have had to go back and redo a couple of casting rods, that I built up as a spiral, because I thought that the client would be really happy with the results. But, after the rod was built, it turned out that the rods were being used for a different application than what I thought and what I thought I had been told that they would be used for. As a result the rods came back with a request that they be rewrapped in a conventional casting format.

No problem is changing the guides and now the clients are well pleased with the blank and the conventional casting guide setup.

So, be sure that you know and have discussed the clients needs about a particular style of rod and style of guide application.

Take care
Roger

Date: March 31, 2011 03:42PM

Roger,

I`m not sure I understand the different applications you refer to. Where would you not want to use spirals on a bait caster? Not that I`m doubting you, I just don`t know , as I build mostly spinning rods.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Date: March 31, 2011 03:42PM

Roger,

I`m not sure I understand the different applications you refer to. Where would you not want to use spirals on a bait caster? Not that I`m doubting you, I just don`t know , as I build mostly spinning rods.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: March 31, 2011 04:57PM

Bill from what I gather,any bait or technique that is used that requires the tip down when fishing is not the best candidate for a spiral wrap.Im not an expert by any means though.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2011 11:49PM

Bruce,
You nailed it.
Also, and the tip is down for this application - the use of the spiral on Muskie rods that do a lot of figure 8's in the water seem to do better with conventional rods.

Also, Jerk bait rods, for bass, which typically are - Jerked Down - when fishing.

Roger

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: April 01, 2011 06:31AM

How I look at it, any time you have a tight line retreive, I build the rod conventional. The rod is usually pointed down at the water as you retreive the lure so the line is only touching the guides. If you are doing a slack line retreive, then the rod is built with a spiral wrap. Tip is up, line hangs down and again the line is only touching the guides.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster