I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What printer is working for you
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: March 29, 2011 03:22PM

Are you having good success using the waterproof white vinyl, or the metallic holo, gold or silver? I'm not. My old Lexmark did better, but it died. My blacks are purpleish and the ink just doesn't cover on the holo silvershine.

I have an HP Officejet 6500. I use CorelDraw. It's not a software problem. I can adjust percentages and tweak my own color % in Corel.

I just talked to the folks at Texascraft. The white vinyl is formulated for dye, pigment, and solvent based inks. The metallics (holo silvershine, gold and silver) are formulated for dye based inks.

What printer is working for you?

Thanks!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What printer is working for you
Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: March 29, 2011 03:59PM

Chuck, when my HP died I picked up a new one but wasn't happy for the same reasons you describe. I brought it back but I had to raise holy heck to get the restocking fee waived! :)

I got an Epson 710 and couldn't be happier with the results. The blacks aren't purple and it covers the gold, silver and holo papers just fine.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 29, 2011 05:07PM

HP Deskjet 960C black is black matches the Castaway XP3 matte black very close.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: March 29, 2011 05:29PM

I just received another response from HPS LLC.

"The photo's you see printed on the Silver Shine in the "Product Details" listing of the site were printed with a Canon Pixma printer and let dry for approximately 20 minutes. I was really quite satisfied with the results."

I think I'm buying a Canon. Canon uses black pigment based ink, with color dye based.

Thanks

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2011 05:45PM

I use a 50.00 Lexmark X5650 rear feed printer with great results on either the holo or white vinyl.

Lance

Posted by: Joe Azar (---.sub-174-252-214.myvzw.com)
Date: March 29, 2011 08:03PM

I use a Canon i560. Have never found anything that didn't come out nicely, save my own mistakes. Just give vinyl and other nonporous materials extra dry time.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 30, 2011 10:30AM

hp k5400. had some ink issues in the past (UV fading). thinking of just having my stuff printed professionally if its cost effective (i know a guy). Initial prints turn out great on the white paper. Don't use the metallics so i can't speak on that matter.

Regards,
-Justin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster