I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Issue with Snake skins
Posted by: Charles Angemeyer (---.syniverse.com)
Date: March 29, 2011 01:16PM

I have another snake skin question.
Currently I am using Threadmaster lite and no matter what I seem to do, I cannot seem to eliminate the small waves that appear on top of my snake skin.
It looks good after everything dries but when you run your fingers over the finish it is easy to detect humps or "waves." It is probably not even fair to describe them that way since it is not drastic.
A better way of describing it would be to say that your fingers can easily detect an "uneveness" with the finish.
I am using 5 coats of threadmaster Lite for the Snake skin part of the rod and common sense tells me that this is probably not correct either.
I'm using a good rod dryer that I bought from one of the guys on the left panel and the rod seems flat and straight when it is rotating but I'll admit I never took a level to it. By the naked eye it looks very level as it is drying.
Any ideas that you might be able to share with me would be most appreciated.
Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Issue with Snake skins
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 29, 2011 01:41PM

I will offer two suggestions for you to try - 1. Use high build finish. 2. Dump the motorized rotation and do it by hand.

If you haven't read the article on finishing in RodMaker Volume 9 #1, you should.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 29, 2011 02:08PM

I don't think your problem is the finish. What kind of skin are you using and where did you get it? Not all skin is equal. Some have 'fleshy' lumps that are left over from the skinning process. If you don't remove it you will have lumpy skin which equals lumpy finish.

I would suggest moving to a high build finish as well. You can use a light finish but it will take more coats.

Can you post a picture?

jeremy

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 29, 2011 02:20PM

Also a higher RPM turner will hold more finish then one of those 6 RPM ones. If you can raise the speed do so

Plus the prep of the skin is important

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 29, 2011 03:15PM

Sometimes the skin has been compromised with some chemical in processing. I like to clean my skin off with a couple of wipes of denatured alcohol and let that dry before applying the skin to the rod. After it is applied and I put a coat of Cason's Waterbase CP on it and let that dry for 24 hrs before any epoxy finish goes on.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 29, 2011 05:28PM

Be careful with DA around skins, some don't like it at all!!!

jeremy

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 30, 2011 09:47AM

Jeremy, I have never had a problem with the DN on skins but I will carefully watch for it now. Thanks for the heads-up.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 30, 2011 07:10PM

I've had issues with lighter color skins. I accidentally got a few drops on some skins and it immediately turned them brown. Kinda like the reaction skins have to epoxy if you don't seal them with CP.

jeremy

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: March 31, 2011 10:33PM

Charles, I have only done one skin job. I used TM high build, 2 coats and hand turned the rod for 90 minutes, 180 degree per turn then went to the dryer. It worked fine for me. Skin came from MH.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster