I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with spinning guide placement.....
Posted by: Matt Mahle (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2011 12:53PM

I read the article in the library about the new spinning placement concept.I am having a hard time implimenting it though.I have a couple 7ft4 rods that I am ready to put guides on,and I would like to use #4 micro's as my runners,and a #25 as my stripper.I use all Daiwa 3000 reels,but I am having a hard time multiplying the spool size by 27 and getting a placement for my choker.Can someone walk me through this one please.And suggest guide sizes between the #25 and choker,and what size choker if I am using #4 runners.Thanks You.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with spinning guide placement.....
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2011 01:08PM

Matt,
Then don't worry about the placement of the choker. Rather, just get a roll of 1/4 inch tape and place a piece of tape where a guide is needed to direct the line.

The placement of the choker guide can certainly be an aid, but remember, so much is dependent on the exact blank, the speed of the tip, and the size of the reel, that all of these numbers can move around a bit. Also, you need to combine personal preference as well.

I generally start from the tip and began to flex the rod. The point on the blank that flex's first, I place the first piece of tape, since I am sure that there will have to be a guide at this point.

Then, depending on the blank and its tip action I will generally add either two or perhaps 3 guides, between that point and the tip.

From the guide I placed first, I will just work back toward the butt of the rod, placing a piece of tape, as the rods stiffness increase and so that there will be enough, but only enough guides to direct the line to the tip.

For guide sizes, I good place to start is with a size 25, 16 and 10 - then go to your runners. If that doesn't look right, you might add a size 7 between the 10 and the 4s to the tip.

Then, tape your guides in the initial testing places on the rod, mount your reel, thread your line through the guides and check your line path, both when the rod blank is straight, as well as when you stress it, by pulling down on the line - as if you were fighting a fish.

If you find that you have a nice even line path that doesn't depart from the curvature of the blank, which insures a good static loading on the blank call it good and wrap the guides.

On the other hand, if you find that the guides could be spaced further apart, particularly in the butt section of the rod, you might want to delete one or more of the runners and increase the spacing of the guides. If you find that the line would follow the contour of the blank with fewer guides in the tip section, then remove one or more runners and increase that spacing between the guides.

The goal of your guide placement is to have JUST ENOUGH guides to get a nice even line movement as the line flows off of the reel, so that you have a nice even static load on the blank as the blank is loaded further and further - as if you were fighting a fish - but not any more guides than that.

Good luck and good guide alignment and wrapping.

Roger

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 27, 2011 02:25PM

Matt, you're going to hear different opinions regarding guide placement but since you asked specifically about the NGC method I'll try and fill in the blanks for you.

The initial part of the process has been updated since the article you read in the library. I don't have the exact spinning reel you mentioned in your post so I'll use 50mm based upon what you chose as your stripper guide. Multiplying the 50mm X 27 gives you 1350mm or about 53 1/8". That is the distance beyond the front of the line spool face that you should locate the choker.

To answer one of your questions, the choker is also considered your first running guide so if you are using size 4 running guides then the choker guide is also a size 4.

As far as the transition guides are concerned, the path of the line from the stripper guide to the choker guide will tell you what to use. You don't predetermine these guide sizes. Point number 4 in the library article pretty well explains this. You'll find that with a 7'4" rod you'll probably need three transition guides but perhaps two will be enough. Static testing will help you decide which way to go.

Point five in the article outlines the placement of the running guides.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 27, 2011 02:43PM

If you wish to use the NGC method, you'll have to drop preconceived notions of guide sizes and let the system tell you what size to use.

Everything Chad has outlined is right on the money for using the NGC.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: March 27, 2011 03:08PM

Matt;
The Diawa 3000 spool dia. might be a little large for a # 25 butt guide. Measure the diameter of the front end of the spool and take half that diameter to determine the size butt guide you need. I use a # 25 butt guide for a 2000 series reel.
Probably should do that if you haven't already.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Matt Mahle (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2011 03:08PM

Thanks for all the help.It makes better sense now.I didnt realize that after I multiplied the 53mm spool times 27 I needed to convert it to inches.I will simply use guides in sizes that smooth the transition between the stripper and choker.Thanks for everyones help.I am off and running now.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: March 27, 2011 03:16PM

A # 25 stripper will work fine with a 53mm spool.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: March 28, 2011 09:40AM

I was thinking the #25 should be about right - I've tended my guides downwards, typically a 20 or 25 works for me with a 2000 class reel.

2.54 cm per inch :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster