I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trim ring between eva grip sections
Posted by: Bill Jovanovski (---.bfcz1.lon.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 27, 2011 01:45AM

Hi all,

A friend has asked me to building him a rod which has 16' rear grips using a 14" pre-shaped rear eva grip (concave) from mudhole but I will be 2" short. Im thinking of using 2" piece of eva with a trim ring so that the join is much nicer with a somewhat seamless join. Naturally, I will need to find some kind of ring that is of same outer dia as the eva. Im not to sure of the outer dia of the eva at this stage. The only trim ring I can find are those that match reel seet size. I am needing at least 1"/ 25or26mm to match out dia of the eva.

Is there any trim rings I can buy that are greater than the usual 16,17,18mm for reel seat sizes.?i have done search on the net but have found anythings.

Thanks.

I

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trim ring between eva grip sections
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 27, 2011 03:19AM

Bill,
You can make your own whatever size you want from coloured eva sheets that are 2-3mm thick. There's not a lot available in craft stores in Australia but have a look on the net and you'll find plenty mainly in the US and England and the price is ok for what you get. Works well with both eva and cork grips but you'll need some sort of a lathe to finish them properly. Ross at The Rodworks in SA (sponsor on the left) has a self centering chuck that fits easily in a drill so you can make an inexpensive lathe that will serve you well if you haven't got one. Billy V from Nerbs (on the left) makes and sells eva rings in a variety of colours if your desperate.
ESFNEM Col

Date: March 27, 2011 03:32AM

Thanks Col,

Im using a makeshift lathe made from a power drill which work great. Might have to sus out the selfcentering chuck from Ross.

Some different coloured eva, as you suggest is a great alternative to using metal trims, as this can be shaped to match the handle eva.

Great suggestion. I'll see if can pick up some eva sheets.

cheers.

Had a look for the self centering chuck that can attach to a drill chuck but I couldnt see the one you are referring to from therodworks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2011 04:15AM by Bill Jovanovski.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 27, 2011 04:16AM

Bill,
Look under accessories- rod lathes- spare parts and you'll find the chuck. The price has gone up a considerably since I got mine but there well worth the cost for a drill powered lathe. When you get the eva sheets do a bit of testing on a piece of old blank or tube to get get the method right. I cut my rings a few mms bigger than the grips, glue them up with super strength araldite ( no glue lines if you clean off the excess) and then clamp everthing together with light to moderate pressure in my cork clamp.. When dry I cut them down carefully with a new razor blade then put them in the lathe and sand down CAREFULLY. 600 wet and dry gives me a finish pretty close to that of the original eva. You can do the rear grip by itself so if you muck it up you won't loose the reel seat.
ESFNEM Col

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: March 28, 2011 12:45AM

Bill
I get my coloured EVA sheets from Riot Craft at Miranda but they have stores throughout OZ ,also try spotlight they have a lot of eva cut out figures that you can use also . I cut my rings a little on the large side as Col does but use contact cement also with no glue lines. I dont clamp as I have found it was not necessary when using contact cement . I then leave the grip for about 1/2 hour & then drill the centers out using the grip as a guide.

regards Baz

Date: March 28, 2011 05:56AM

Thanks guys

Great tips. I will certainly follow some of those instruction

Thanks Col and Barry

In case anyone is interested I found these
[www.woodworkforums.com]

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2011 05:59AM by Bill Jovanovski.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 28, 2011 09:26AM

here [www.grizzly.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster