I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

K series guides
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2011 10:57PM

I received my first shipment of K series guides today and wrapped two rods this afternoon.
These guides have the most unusual look about them. But their very unusual design should work very well to shed tangles, which is what they were designed for. One of the unique things about them besides their unique swell out of the side to shed loops, is the rather extreme angle of the guides, in particular the smaller guides.

Also, these guides have excellent locking flares on the foot, so no locking wraps are needed. That is actually a good thing, because there is essentially no vertical arm on the lower leg to wrap a locking wrap anyway.

The test casting with 6 lb braid was very superior. I think that wind knots will be a thing of the past with low diameter very limp braid.

Take care and be safe

Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K series guides
Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.fuse.net)
Date: March 25, 2011 11:15PM

I'm building a couple of spinning rods right now w/ the K series guides. I sure hope they help w/ the tangles bcs I do love braided line.

Date: March 26, 2011 10:40AM

Todd,
Based on the design and the little test casting that I have done, I expect that your days of braid tangles should be gone.

Roger

Date: March 26, 2011 06:30PM

I did the guide wrap finish on the rods today and ran into another unique situation with the K series guides. Due to the design of the area around the guide foot and the upright ring, the guides almost have the effect of a closed front tunnel.
You can actually do a nice job of filling in the area of the guide tunnel at the front of the guide, but you have to use a different technique than you would use for a more conventional guide design. i.e. you essentially have to wick in finish from the side of the guide and have it thin enough so that it will self wick back into the center tunnel area of the guide.

It is not a difficult or a big deal, but just be aware that it will be different from a conventional guide design when you come to do the finish work. This same part of the guide design is also why one can't really use a locking wrap with these guides.
But, as I said in the original post - the design of the guide foot is both long enough as well as having enough locknig flares so that a locking wrap is not necessary.

Roger

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2011 03:46PM

I still have never had a tangle with SV or HV guides so I can't say that shedding tangles is why I would use them. I can say that if you have wind knot problems the shape of the frame and where it connects to the ring creates a corner where a wind knot can get caught and cut off other then that they seem to be nice guides.

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.rcmdva.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2011 04:19PM

I looked at the K guides in the recent catalogs, but couldn't determine if they weren't an answer to a question I hadn't asked. Aesthetically, I like them, regardless. For that reason, I would consider using them. However, I didn't see any fly guides with a similar geometry. And, since the only places my Power Pro ever gets tangled is at the tip top or the first couple of guides after that, then what are the benefits of using K guides lower on the blank? I've never managed to tangle any braid around a guide with a 25 or 16 ring. Am I missing something? Again?:)
Slainte,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster