I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NGC Guide spacing question
Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2011 10:20PM

I'm building an MHX SJ843 7ft. spin rod for 8 - 12 lb. florocarbon line.
My plan is to use #25, #16, #10 all high frames with
(5) #6 SF fly as choker and running guides.
Choker is at 48.6" from spool (1.8" dia.).

But when I set the transition guides I'm a bit confused.

- if i go #25, #16, #10 all high frame my spacing from the choker is
8", 8 1/2", 11 1/2" to the butt guide.

- if I go #25, #16, #8 my spacing from the choker ends up
61/4", 10 1/2", 11 1/2".
(tried a 10, 12, 25 but that doesn't seem to provide a good sopacing either)

Question 1: with my original plan everything lines up "in the bulls eye"
and it does cast OK, but is the spacing OK?
When I do a 6 1/2 ft. rod I typically get more even spacing like 7, 9, 11"

Question 2: is the drop from a #10 to #6 choker too much?

Thanks for any help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NGC Guide spacing question
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.bnl.gov)
Date: March 25, 2011 10:26PM

You could try 25, 12, 8, or even drop one guide and go 25, 12, choker.

Joe

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2011 10:40PM

First of all, when implementing the NGC, you can't preplan what guides you want to use. You have to allow the line path to tell you what guides should be used.

As far as your spacing, you'll have to step back and take a look at it, static deflect the rod and note the line and how it matches the flex in the rod. Use your own judgement as to which looks best. If it casts good and looks good, it is good.

Drop between guide sizes? The line doesn't care about the drop between guides sizes - this is one of the major mistakes rod builders make. The drop isn't what you think it is. The difference between going from a 10 to an 8 or a 10 to a 4 is barely measurable. It makes no difference. The idea that you have to gradually drop and use all the available sizes comes from a long held myth that this creates a more gradual line path. Actually the reverse is true. It creates a stair step path instead of a smooth, funnel like path.Use fewer guide sizes and drop from your largest to smallest guide size as quickly as you can. This increases rod efficiency and improves performance.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 26, 2011 09:51AM

Steven

Most of my 6'6" or 7' spin rods end up with a #25, #12, #6 choker and runners as Joe (above) suggested. This setup works best for most of my spin rod builds.

Rog

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2011 10:27AM

Thanks for the inputs, I'll try these set-ups with the guides sizes indicated
using the perscribed NGC method as Tom said.

Posted by: Tony Holland (---.ilm.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 26, 2011 03:52PM

I only build for myself and a few rods as gifts for my friends and family, but I have to say thanks for the time and effort put into developing the ngc method of guide placement. Since I have started using it I have built a few really smooth casting spinners! I've used it on 1 fresh water rod and several light salt rods for boat fishing and even my surf rods now.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2011 05:51PM

On my spinning projects, they all seem to wind up with a 25-16-8 with a 6 choker, irregardless of the size of the reel (they are reasonably close though). But I use the table method since the 27x is usually too far for my liking on Salmon size reels. The butt guide usually falls around the 20"-21" range - but that's just me.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2011 06:38PM

I generally go with a 25, 16, 10, 7, 6 runners.
If I don't get the right transition, I will sometimes change the height of the 10 - either taller or shorter - by straightning the guide foot and then rebending it for the right height.
If you start with the stripper guide at about 20 inches from the face of the reel, you can generally jog the other postions of guides to get a nice unifrom line flow to the tip of the rod.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2011 06:48PM

Generally just 3, perhaps 4 different guide sizes on a very long rod with a larger reel, is all you need.

Posted by: Steven Tekulsky (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 08, 2011 09:36PM

I am going to build a 7' spinning rod and want to use ngc system. I want to use double foot guides......what styles will work, considering that the height of the guides between choker and reel have to be taller than running guides.....thanks, Steven

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster