I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sugestions 9' 3 wt
Posted by: Ed Casteel (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2011 10:35PM

Looking to upgrade a 9' 3 wt IM6 that I built 6 years ago. Its heavy, casts like a wet noodle and has no line feel. I'm looking for close to a 9' rod the is in the medium (preferred) to moderate fast range that has good power but a sensitive tip. I often fish with 14 - 15 leaders with size 18 - 26 flies on 7 X tippit. I built a Dan Craft Signature V in a 5 wt and would really love that blank in a 3 wt but they are out of stock.

Blanks I am considering but have not fished are listed below and would appreciate any feed back on them or other blanks that I might should consider

TFO 8'9" Finesse
Dan Craft Signature III 9'
BastonsRX7 9'

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sugestions 9' 3 wt
Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2011 07:10AM

Ed, check into CTS, both the Affinity X and Affinity MX are excellent blanks and are right up there with the Dan Craft stuff on quality and price.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.76.4.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: March 25, 2011 06:11PM

Ed,
Thomas and Thomas PA 903-3 good blank expensive
Orvis T3 9' 2-piece 4 weight M6.0 should underline nicely
St Croix 5FF904.4 4-piece should underline nicely
Mud Hole MHX F902-2 MHX for the bargain hunter Overlined to a 3 weight Haven't cast one but the numbers look promising

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Ed Casteel (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2011 06:52AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Learning how to read the numbers and understand what they mean and how they translate into "feel" in one of my next things to learn on this addictive hobby

Posted by: Sean Herrera-Thomas (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 28, 2011 12:59AM

I built the Dan Craft FTL904-6 to fish as a three weight and have been happy with it as far as the combination of power down low and a sensitivity in the tip section goes. I'm looking for something faster now, but I had fun with the FTL last summer. Great tippet protection, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2011 01:00AM by Sean Herrera-Thomas.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster