I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Nice blank cutter
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2011 09:08PM

If you happen to have a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder laying around, you might consider picking up one of these converter stands:

[www.amazon.com]

Basically bolt your angle grinder into the stand, attach an abraisve cut off wheel, and you have a very slick chop saw that will make quick work of doing any type chopping that you might need to do for rod building in the form of chopping blanks, cork wood etc.

Take care
Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nice blank cutter
Posted by: Ray Mazza (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2011 11:04PM

Check the reviews!! Doesn't look like a good buy even at that price.
Ray

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: March 24, 2011 10:00AM

High-speed cut-off saw on a Dremel tool works just great on most freshwater blanks. Put masking tape around blank, mark it, lay Dremel along side and rotate blank. I do it in front of my 20" box fan with filter taped on. I've done a dozen or so in the last year. I always tell the client that it voids the blank warranty and they could care less. I cut 6" off of three RX8 blanks for one fellow. Felt like I was committing a crime, but it was what he wanted.

We also have a 10" chop saw with a HS cut-off blade in it at work, but I've never bothered to try it. The Dremel goes through so easy. I suppose if i was doing big blanks I might try something else.

Date: March 24, 2011 10:27AM

Ray,
Yes, I checked the reviews.
Of course, this tool may not be for everyone. But as I said in my original post, if you happened to have an extra grinder laying around in the shop, the $15 or so for this mount could make that unused tool more useful to you.

If you haven't considered it before, it also does a nice job of chopping pvc, for shipping tubes, or even cardboard tubes for shipping or for rod tubes.

I personally already have several other saws, including full sized chop saws, table saws, radial arm saws, miter saws - both small and large.

It is simply an inexpensive bit of tooling that might put an unused tool to use.

I did some more research yesterday and found several other angle grinder holders that are of a different design that might be even better than the one listed above.

By the way Chuck, have you checked with your blank manufacturer to verify the fact that trimming a blank from either end voids the warrenty? I have never received this information from a manufacturer that this is the case. I know that blanks are being trimmed every day by rod builders all over the world and I find it suprising that this would void the warrenty.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: March 24, 2011 11:47AM

I don't know about that one - a 4 1/2 angle grinder generates a suprising amount of torque - at least my Makita does. I wouldn't mount it to a flimsy little stand without donning a flack jacket and kevlar helmet...

Date: March 24, 2011 12:16PM

Grizzly has one that seems to be built better. $25.95

Posted by: Jason Wenzel (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: March 24, 2011 12:31PM

If your scared, go to church. I dont think you could ask for anything more for $13.

Date: March 24, 2011 01:21PM

Rick,
Of course, you would want to bolt any type saw or grinder like this one or a similar one to a solid mount. That is just common sense.

By the way, my neighbor can vouch for what you just said.
He was using his 6 inch 6000 rpm grinder with a coarse wire brush attached to do some deburring on some steel that he was using for a project.
He had the piece of steel in front of him. The grinder got away from him and the wire brush got stuck in his jeans.
The area where the wire brush attacked his jeans was right in the zipper area of his jeans. By the time that the wire brush stopped spinning, the jeans, the jeans zipper, and what was under the zipper were all entangled in the wire brush.

A few minutes later, his wife had to take he, his jeans, his angle grinder with the wire brush still attached to his jeans and himself to the hospital for removal.

Fortuantely, the emergency room doctors were able to extricitae the wire brush and grinder from everthing with only a few stitches involved in the affected areas.

So, I couldn't agree with you more on potential dangers for personal injury with poorly secured angle grinders. Great tools, but they need to be used with respect, caution, and safety procedures.

Be safe
Roger

Date: March 24, 2011 07:45PM

Yeowch! Had a friend who had a drill get away from him and do the same type of thing. Thankfully, I have never had anything that embarassing to take to the ER. Must admit though, I have made a few payments on the ol' Dr's Porche just the same
Ray

Date: March 24, 2011 07:56PM

Ray,
I have had to make a few visits for some different things over the years.
The word hospital, doctors , nurses and embarassing can't be used in the same sentence. There isn't such a think as embarasment when it comes to hospitals, doctors and nurses.

I am just thankful that they are there if the situation needs them.

Roger

Date: March 24, 2011 08:07PM

Roger,
That's true. I'm a retired Patrol Deputy and I've seen things that would make people shudder. We just laughed them off and moved on. Never lost any sleep, but did get the occasional funny story. lol
Ray

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 25, 2011 04:16PM

You guys want to hurt your self ??

A fine tooth saw mark a blank - scribe all the way around so there are no fibers to peal. then just cut it. If you want a square cut block sand the edge

I sure do not need any high speed sharp objects going into my Man Hood I like me

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster