I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

SHORT trolling rod
Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 20, 2011 09:21PM

I've got a customer who wants a trolling rod built as a gift for her father. I'm confirming as to whether it's a baitcaster or a spinning rod but I believe it's going to be a baitcaster. The target fish is pretty much everything that swims in our central Minnesota lakes. Here's the kicker...he prefers to hold the rod when he's also driving the boat so it must be the same length as his current favorite rod which is four feet long.

I'm planning on measuring 4' back from the tip and cutting the butt off. My goal is to start with a blank that has an action angle of 75 or up and then after cutting would end up somewhere in the mid 60's. That should provide an acceptable moderate action that I believe would be good for this application. That's what I would consider the easy part of the equation. The other part would be having that same blank also possess enough backbone after it's been cut. The handle plus the reel seat combined will be roughly 9" so that only leaves 39" of room for the guide train. With something this short I'm planning to spiral wrap it as well.

I build all my rods using blanks from Batson. If anyone has done something similar I would like to hear how it turned out.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SHORT trolling rod
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2011 04:26AM

Chad,
I worked with Jim Carroll in North Dakota developing a short trolling rod that has been used extensively all over the midwest trolling for walleyes.

The common use for this rod was in conjunction with a 10 foot or outrigger rod, and then the 5 foot rod, to be in close. Thus no need to use a planer board.

Basically all of the rods were built on the same blank, which starts as a 6 foot solid glass blank. It is called the 6 foot medium action blank.

We currently get these blanks from Batson:

.385"x.105"x72" Black 6'0" 1 12-20 LB n/a 0.385 7.0 Moderate n/a Solid glass bottom fishing $10.52

With this blank, since it is solid glass, if you want a softer action, just put the blank in a lathe and change the taper of the tip with sandpaper, being sure to not burn the glass.

The advantage of using a blank like this that is solid, is that you can get the performance and action that you need, either unchanged, or by sanding a different taper into the tip, but still have a virtually unbreakable rod, and yet sensitive rod, due to the fact that it is fiberglass and of solid construction.

After we did all of the initial development, the idea was sold to Scheels (http://www.scheelssports.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/TopCategoriesDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10101) in South Dakota who have a contract with a Chinese Rod builder and import the built up rods of this design into the country.

Since the original rod was designed, as with many things changes have been made to the rod. I believe that they are now using an IM7 graphite blank in a medium action called their shorty rod and it sells for $70.

Since this rod was used exclusively as a trolling rod, the rod was built with a long back grip of about 12 to 15 inches for easy rod holder use. Since it is built as a bait caster, really no need for a fore grip on the rod, unless you want one.

We had tried a couple of rods built as a spiral wrap, but I suppose due to the very short length of the fishing portion of the rod, the folks didn't like the spiral wrap and we went back to a conventional wrap, using reasonably large guides for easy of use, quick rethreading and not having to worry about snaps and siwvels which will reel right through the larger tips and guides.

With the 15 inch back grip on a 50 inch rod, you are only talking about 35 inches of fishing length. If you put the first guide at 20 inches, you are only taking about another 15 inches to the tip of the rod, so not a lot of room for spirals, or for that matter need for spirals.

Over the last 5 or so years since this rod became popular by the tournament folks there have been several hundred of these rods built and sold by builders as well as by the commercial companies.

Take care
Roger

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster