I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Which design is this wrap?
Posted by: sanford hochman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2011 08:58AM

In the latest Rodbuilding magazine, I saw the picture of the "Ins & Outs" wrap of Billy Vivona's. I e-mailed him for some information on this wrap, but got no response. Does this wrap go by any other name, and if so, can it be found on the Visual Wrap website? It is a beautiful rod and I would like to make this for myself. If the colors were available, I would appreciate that info as well. Thanks for your help in advance.
Sanford

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which design is this wrap?
Posted by: Harry Kelly (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 20, 2011 09:15AM

Sanford email Billy again, I am sure your first email just slipped thru the cracks...Billy is willing and tries very hard to help everyone he can to promote the art of rod building......

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2011 11:52AM

I usually always answer e-mails, usually I spend way too much time answerring them and get very little in return, lol. The Ins and Outs are not part of the VW site.

Posted by: sanford hochman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2011 11:59AM

Billy,
Is this pattern available to buy either in cd or print?
Sanford

Posted by: Tom St.Blanc (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: March 20, 2011 01:29PM

Billy does spend too much time on email. After all, he is still going to charm school. Can't wait to get the DVD Billy. Ordered about a week ago. I'd like to try the wrap Sanford is talking about but it may be too much for my first one.

Tom
Denver, CO

Date: March 20, 2011 01:59PM

TOm, I shipped it yesterday, when the check came in. Enjoy. hopefully a bunhc of Ins & Outs get wrapped after the Rodmaker mag article. I love the wrap, I've done quite a few of them ove teh years.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2011 02:57PM

I'm working on a "Dancing Star" wrap right now. Hopefully it will turn out nice.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: March 20, 2011 03:21PM

David, if oyu get stuck post a Q. Before applying CP, post a pic. If there's any tips I can share, I will

Date: March 20, 2011 06:13PM

I am a little confused about whether or not the "boxes" are supposed to be filled in, partially filled in, or left open until later. I have my diamond, an open box on all 4 sides. Now I just need to know if I fill in the box before I make the second set of boxes?

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: March 20, 2011 06:16PM

I'm also trying to use different shades of green from a Madeira shade pack bought at the Expo. Diamond in the middle is Metallic green.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: March 20, 2011 06:58PM

YOu got a pic?

Date: March 20, 2011 07:03PM

Give me a minute, I'll take one.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: March 20, 2011 07:11PM

Here's where I'm at.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: March 20, 2011 08:14PM

CEnter diamond is pretty big, the finished pattern is goig to wrap way around the blank. Which isn't bad,I'm just saying. YOu also slightly com[ressed, not a problem, us tpointing it out. IMO, make the center diamond 1/3 the size it is no, so if you used qw threads, cut f or them out and only use 8.

[www.rodbuilding.org] < This has about 8 threads for the center, and 8 for the arms. I think this is what you're looking for? If oyu want thicker arms, then go with 5 threads for teh diamond, and sometime like 10 for the arms.

You are doing the background 3 or 4 threads at a time right? Do me a favor, start a new thread "Dancing Spider and more people will benefit from teh info instead of it being buried in here, we'll go back and forth and I'll be able to fill in any blans tha tI migh tnot have made clear in the article.

Date: March 20, 2011 08:26PM

OK. I see. I'm gonna start over since it's not too late. I'll start a new thread as soon as I get my diamond resized. Also, this is on a fly rod, so it's kind of small.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: March 21, 2011 11:10AM

On a fly rod do the background x2 or x3 to start. Once you work back in, see how big hte pattern is going to be, and go x3 or x4.

Date: March 21, 2011 11:16AM

I did the diamond 6 threads, made the box around diamond 4 threads, and started the background with 3 threads. I won't be able to get back on it until tonite though. Does that sound right?

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: March 21, 2011 11:29AM

Yes. IMO, leave about 3mm's between the diamond and the background threads. This will give you all the space you need to fit threads in, when te pattern is completed pack everything in towards the diamond and close the gaps. I hope tha tmakes sense? If oyu are wrapping 1 thread at a time tha tmigh tnot work, the threads will be difficult to move. f you wrap the background in bands of 3 or 4, they'll slide and close up no problem.

Date: March 21, 2011 11:36AM

I'll give it a shot again tonite. If I have problems, I"ll send you a question or make a new thread (Dancing Star). Hopefully this turns out ok. It's on my personal rod, so no big deal if I have to rip it all off and start over. I want it to look right.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: March 21, 2011 12:02PM

KNow going in, teh the smal blank isn't going to show the curved effect as much as it would on a larger blank. WHat's the diameter ofthe blank, like 9mms?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster