I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Jet Lathe
Posted by: Dale Cecil (---.207-68.panhandle.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2011 10:08PM

Im going to buy finaly and looking for advice from the experts. A Jet 10141 or Jet 1220 what should I look to pay and which would be better or any othe suggestions.

Thanks Dale

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jet Lathe
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: March 19, 2011 11:00PM

IMO, it is an easy decision - the 1220. You will have enough room to turn grips between centers WITHOUT an extension. In addition, the motor is 50% stronger ... and there is a big difference. I paid just under $400 for mine, on sale. I did not opt for variable speed. The additional weight of the 1220 is a big plus IMO ... very little vibration, it is a stable unit. IMO, it is more akin to the full size lathes than the mini-lathes (1014). Budget for accessories and tools, they will cost more than the lathe. I would allow $1K as a fair amount to go shopping with.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2011 11:42PM

I opted for the Jet 1014. Wish I had gone for the variable speed motor.

Amazon consistently has the best lathe prices and includes free shipping. When I got mine the box was dinged but the lathe lined up dead center.

I keep checking and they have the 1014 variable speed model for $407 at this time.

I try to convince myself that a second lathe would make a great buffing station with a Beall rig.

Sometimes I think rod building is just my excuse for collecting equipment.

I strongly suggest spending the extra for quality turning tools.. Crown, Sorby, etc.

Penn State Industries is a good source for accessories such as live ends, Jacobs chuck, etc.

A good sharpening system is important, too.

While the One Way Talon is costly it's truly an exceptional chuck.

A smooth Spigot Jaw is handy for gripping blanks.

Good luck which ever way you go.

Dave

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2011 03:14AM

Dave,
If you want a good buffing station, just pick up a buffer:

[www.harborfreight.com]

Much much less expensive than any lathe, and you can have the right dedicated tool for the job. I have an excellent buffer and use it for many many things beside just using it for lathe follow up work.
P.S.
If you do get a buffer, also purchase a stand to mount the buffer on. There are so many different buffing jobs that require access all aroung the buffing wheel. By having the buffer on a floor mounted movalbe stand, you can move the buffer to a nice wide open area to work on those jobs that would be impossible to do on a bench mounted machine.

[www.harborfreight.com]

These grinder stands work perfect for a buffer. You can always put one foot on one of the legs as you buff to insure stability on the buffer, while maintaining portability.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2011 09:20AM

Roger,

Thanks for your input.

I'd like to use the Beall system where a separate wheel is dedicated to Tripoli/ White Diamond and Carnuba.

[www.woodcraft.com]

The thought of a second lathe was to justify getting a variable speed model for woodturning and using the other for buffing.
You can rig up all three on a lathe.. but I guess two buffing machines will cost less than a lathe.
I'd like to avoid having to change wheels .,. just run down the line with no time outs.

The buffer you suggested runs at too high a speed for the Beall system. 1725 rpm is needed for proper operation of those wheels.

The stand is a good idea.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: March 20, 2011 11:16AM

David -

There is another buffing kit to consider ... the one marketed by Klingspor's. It is a three-in-one with everything you need. The price is very competitive and it is a quality product. They came to the Expo for a couple of years, although they didn't exhibit this year.

[www.woodworkingshop.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2011 11:17AM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: March 20, 2011 11:23AM

Certainly not an expert but I bought a jet 1220 and am completely satisfied with it. Had it a year or so and no problems at all. I did get the bed extension which wasn't necesary, but, it's handy. I did not get the variable speed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster