I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First Fly Rod
Posted by: Bob Hendry (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2011 01:55PM

My son and I are building our first fly rods with the Project healing Waters contest at Walter Reed. The blanks are Batson Rainshadow 9" 5 wt, and they are identical. We would like to change one (or both) slightly so that we can differentiate them when finished, probably by using different guides (color) and thread. Any suggestions?

Batson Enterprises suggests that we use 1/0 and 2/0 stripping guides and 4-4-4-4-3-3-3-3 for the remainder. I have read other suggested patterns, but can't find them now. I'm inclined to go with the Batson suggested guides - does anyone have alternate suggestions that would improve on the Batson recommendation? We are both beginners at rod building, fly fishing, and fly tying.

Thank you for your suggestions. Cheers,

Bob & Rob Hendry

Bob Hendry
Southern Maryland

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First Fly Rod
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2011 02:17PM

Bob -
I'm located in Maryland. For anyone involved in either Project Healing Waters or the Paralyzed Veterans Association my shop is always open. You and your son have an open invitation to come use the shop should you wish to do so

Date: March 19, 2011 03:25PM

Thank you, Ken. That's very nice of you.

Where are you in Maryland? We're in Waldorf - Southern Maryland.

Cheers,
Bob Hendry

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 19, 2011 03:39PM

If you can take Ken up on his offer. You will learn a lot

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 19, 2011 03:44PM

Pasadena - just north of Annapolis / south of Baltimore. I figure you're about 60 - 70 minutes away. Either send me an email or unhide yours & I'll send my address

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2011 04:01PM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: March 19, 2011 04:08PM

You could build one with single foot guides and one with double foot snakes--That would make them easy to tell apart at a glance and They would both work equally well. Plus you would learn which you prefer for future reference. The suggested guide sizes in your post sound large for a 5 wt.

I might recommend Strippers 12,10, then wire fly guides 3-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-tip. That's 10 total guides. (Convention= length in feet +1)

For stripping guides, double foot casting guides are traditional, like the Batson LXNs or American Tackle Ring lock casting guides or the Fuji equivalent.

I don't know what running guides you plan to use, but my favorite on a light fly rod would be REC recoils, either single or double foot. I've used these on 2 fly rods in the last few months and they are my "go-to" fly guides.

What are you doing for grips and reel seats? Both the Batson and St Croix handle kits are quite good and not expensive.

Good luck, I'm a novice as well, built my first rod last September. Working on fly rod #8 today.

Drew

Posted by: Dale Holmes (---.lns4.dav.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 19, 2011 05:48PM

Even if you use identical blanks, guides and thread colours, you can add some trim wraps to one rod and not the other.
(a trim wrap is a narrow band of thread, say 3-4 wraps wide, in a contrasting colour that sits next to your normal guide wraps etc, and gives a really classy look)

Metallic silver thread looks great as a trim wrap, with virtually all blank and thread colours.

You could for example add a trim wrap on to both sides of the stripper guides and the hook keeper, if you are using one.

Its really easy to learn how to make a trim wrap, either by someone showing you, or by watching the online video clips by Muhole on Youtube,

All the best, it sounds like a great project you have there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2011 05:54PM by Dale Holmes.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 19, 2011 05:55PM

Bob,

Drop the 4's and go with all 3's. This will give you a straighter and smoother line path at less weight.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.214.63.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: March 20, 2011 11:14AM

Bob,
I've built on and compared other builds on that blank.

Soft progressive butt section suggests weight be removed from tip to increase casting performance in blank rebound speed and damping control.

8 guides
Distance from tip
4.8 10.5 17.4 25.5 35.1 46.5 60.2 76.4

Top 3 guides Recoil light wire titanium single foot #2
Next 2 guides #3 light wire single foot hard chrome
Next guide #4 std wire single foot hard chrome
Next guide #10 double foot Alox
Next guide #12 double foot Alox

To differentiate the two builds utilize reelseat variations and wrapping technique and color.

Eugene Moore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2011 11:15AM by Eugene Moore.

Date: March 20, 2011 07:04PM

Thank you for some great suggestions. I'm starting to get a better idea of how to tackle this.

I've been scouring the Hook & Hackle and Mud Hole pages trying to sort this out. Does anyone have another suggestion as to where to look for parts / supplies?

Thanks again for all the advice - we are indeed appreciative. Cheers,

Ken,

Were you at the National Capital Show at Georgetown Prep last week? I spoke to someone there - may have been you. (He handed a fellow a repaired TFO rod in an orange cloth sack - the tip had been broken in his tailgate??) Anyway, I found your website in Pasadena. How do I 'open' my email address?

Bob Hendry

Date: March 20, 2011 07:45PM

Bob -
I sent you an email with address. No I missed the TU show this year ( I assume that's the one you mean)

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.210.182.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: March 20, 2011 11:02PM

Bob,
Add J Stockard to your list.

Eugene Moore

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster