I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CCS Deflection question
Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: March 15, 2011 11:07PM

I have been reading about CCS Deflection and had a question in terms of baseline numbers. More specifically, can any of the figures such as the Action Angle be matched up to a rod action or are they all relative measurements?

For example could a blank with an AA rating of 70 be considered a medium fast action or is the figure rather a relative measurement. In this case the blank is faster than a blank with a AA rating of 65 and slower than one with an AA rating of 75?

thanks,
Tom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CCS Deflection question
Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 15, 2011 11:18PM

In a nutshell, your second choice, relative, is the correct answer. Nothing is fast or slow...only faster, slower or equal.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Date: March 16, 2011 08:10AM

Thanks, that makes sense.

So I guess technically you could set your own "baseline" definition for a blank actions by doing the measurements on an existing blank and using it as a guide for comparison for future projects? That way the relative relationship is grounded in that you have a frame of reference for comparison for any CCS data (albeit one which is very individual in nature).

Please chip in if this logic is off. I'm just trying to figure out a way to utilize the CCS data. Some blanks don't have their actions listed but i think, if i am on the correct track, the data could be used to give you a really good idea what to expect if you can establish a baseline for the numbers using a blank/rod you already have.

Thanks,
Tom.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 16, 2011 08:31AM

What is the better way to describe the length of a rod - in feet and inches, or by "long, medium or short?"

Terms are subjective, numbers are not. That's the point of the CCS.

Date: March 16, 2011 10:00PM

Yes, i see what you mean. Without a standardized definition of rod actions then the CCS numbers are the best way to describe the characteristics of a rod blank.

I was hoping there were some benchmarks out there to compare CCS data against but i can now understand how difficult they would be to establish.

thanks,
Tom.

Date: March 16, 2011 11:04PM

There is a standardized definition of rod actions - they have to do with where a rod initially flexes.

Fast - initially flexes in upper 1/3rd.

Medium - initially flexes in upper 1/2.

Slow - initially flexes along entire length.

As you can see, there is some amount of subjective opinion or observation involved and the resolution is quite poor.

Comparing this system to the CCS is like comparing "hot, mild or cold" to a thermometer. A relative system of measurement is always better.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 17, 2011 05:33AM

As far as I understand it a - Bare - blank will measure higher then one with guides thread finish on. Extra weight
So ( correct me if I am wrong ) if you measure a rod - with guides and finish and a bare blank it is not apples to apples Take the guides of the rod you like then measure. This way when you do a bare blank and the numbers are the same they should be equal when built with The Same Guides

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 17, 2011 08:13AM

The ERN will be slightly lower on a finished rod than on a bare blank. AA will be the same.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster