I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish on winding checks, part 2
Posted by: Charles Angemeyer (---.syniverse.com)
Date: March 15, 2011 04:21PM

An earlier post asked about putting finish on aluminum winding checks. I have a spin off question.
When putting finish on the winding check how to you keep it from flowing onto the cork?
This happened to me recently and it was not pretty.
Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish on winding checks, part 2
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 15, 2011 05:42PM

You can be - Very Careful and not over do when you finish

You can also put masking tape on the edge of the fore grip this way it goes on the the front of the grip and not over onto the rest of it

Or just go to the check and - no more If it does you can sand the tip and it - may look nice ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 15, 2011 07:50PM

Why do you feel it is necessary to cover a winding check??
Herb

Date: March 15, 2011 07:58PM

Herb

makes a good point

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: March 16, 2011 07:22AM

If you look at the windind check, there is a tiny lip at the edge of the check. Don't go past it and it will leave you a clean edge. Covering the check will keep it shiny and will not let it get exposed to the weather. Covering it with finish will also make it shimmer more.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2011 07:31AM

Charles,
I just finished a group of about 50 rods. For a couple of the first rods, I noticed the same issue as you state. i.e. finish on the cork.
My solution was quite simple.

Whenever I coat a rod, I always start with the butt wraps on the frexh mix. Since I often use long butt wraps the thinner fresh mix allows for a quick easy application. The problem of the finish on the cork was being caused by the thin fresh mix beginning to run next to the cork.

So the solution was simple. I went ahead and did the rod finish, starting at the butt wraps as usual. But, I did NOT put any finish within the first 1/2 inch of the winding check.

Then, I went and finished the rest of the wraps with respect to finish applcation.

Afer going back over the guides to smoot h and level - after the quick finish application that I use to get the finish on the blank. I then work the finish closer to the winding check. But I still leave a slight gap and then go over the rest of the guides one more time to be sure that everything is 100% smooth and level - I seldom do any change at this point, only a recheck of the guides. Now, the finish has thickened somewhat since it has been a couple of minutes since I started the application of finish. As a result, the finish has thickened a bit. I now do the final finish applicaiton next to the winding check - insuring a final smooth level and bubble free finish.

Done with the applicaiton that I do on the high speed applyer and I now move the rod over to the dryer for long term slow drying.

So, to summarize - simply save the last 1/4 inch of finish application on the rod butt next to the winding check to be the last with the finish a bit thicker and the finish on the cork issue is gone.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2011 09:21AM

I use mostly the soft, vinyl/rubber checks, and I totally cover them with epoxy, which gives a nice curved filet from the blank to the grip. As a last step I take a paper towel wet with alcohol and take any extra off. Keep the rod turning.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 16, 2011 12:57PM

I posted earlier my preference for using thread wraps under my nickel silver winding checks so that epoxy can butt/ramp up against the edge of the check and not over it. Personally (IMHO) I prefer seeing the silver stand on its own. I'm fine with the silver check developing character over time.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: March 16, 2011 04:09PM

Since you are having this problem I got a solution -- Don't coat you winding checks Very simple

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster