I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Problem with size of reel seat
Posted by: Kurt Mogensen (---.12.89.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 13, 2011 10:26PM

Looks like a made a rookie mistake on my second build - didn't do a dry fit w/reel before gluing up. After gluing up the seat, grip and buttcap I find that my reel foot does not fit into the space between the sliding and static hood (not sure if static hood is the right term but you know what I mean).
I have a fix in mind but don't know how to achieve it. Because it is an uplocking seat, if I were to remove the buttcap I could remove one of the two tightening nuts. This would give me the extra room needed (need <1/8") and would leave at least one nut to attach the reel (or I could try to find 2 narrower nuts). The question is... how can I get the buttcap off? It was glued up about a week ago so the Flexcoat is surely full cured. Any ideas? Is this a good solution? Was ready to go after it with brute force and pliers but thought I should ask the experts first.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Problem with size of reel seat
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 13, 2011 10:40PM

Don't know what your butt cap is made of, but put it in a poly bag and submerge it in boiling water for 10 min and see if that doesn't loosen up the epoxy. You may have to do it a couple of times.

Another option....shorten the reel foot if it doesn't harm the reel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2011 10:41PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)

What koind of butt cap, what kind of rod/blank? HEat breaks epoxy bonds. BOiling water, heat gun. Kind of depends on the mateiral , and you MUST be careful with the amount of heat you apply

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2011 10:41PM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2011 10:44PM

The others beat me to it :)

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2011 10:45PM by Joe Vanfossen.

Date: March 13, 2011 11:03PM

What a great site. Such fast response.

I'll try the boiling water trick. To answer the other questions... it is a fairly heavy, smooth, solid metal cap. It has a short plug that fits into the reel seat but does not extend inside the blank itself (had to let the seat overhang the end of the blank). I used a metal file to scuff the OD of the plug edge. The seat has a rosewood insert. (I don't think the water bath will harm it?). The rod is IM6 graphite, 4wt.

Date: March 13, 2011 11:57PM

Do the boilign water, but it' sgonna tak ea while. The heat gun will work quicker, but you cna EASILY overheat the blank and screw things up thta way.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 14, 2011 12:06AM

If you use something like a Ziplock bag, there is no reason to get any of the parts wet! Boiling water can effect the Rosewood as it is a very oily wood.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2011 11:03AM

Billy,
You might just sign your posts with just your name. The constant advertising gets a bit old.

Roger

Posted by: Drew Pollock (162.119.68.---)
Date: March 14, 2011 01:20PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has done this. My very first build I was assembling a kit from Batson which included a 17 reel seat. It turned out the reel I had needed an 18 for sufficient length. Fortunately I test fit half way through and was able to get it apart before I had the fore grip in place. Anyway, it was a good lesson and a mistake I have not repeated.

It sounds like this is a fly rod-and I thought all fly reel seats/feet met a published size standard? I've never had a fit up problem with fly seats. Good you give some particulars, ie what fly seat and what reel?

Drew

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 14, 2011 05:41PM

You bad Roger Give it to him

If you do not want to go thought all that

Why not just file the feet on the seat and make it fit Fish it for a while and if you can not live with it -- rip it apart

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 14, 2011 06:49PM

Bill - I thought about that but the rod may go to a friend so I don't know what reel it will end up with.

I did the boiling water method and it did the trick. It took about 20 minutes. Unfortunately I ended up with some minor scratches to the edge of the butt cap so I will have to replace it (damaged by pliers even though I tried to protect the finish with a cloth).

I too assumed all seats were a common size but apparently not. A lesson I will not soon forget. This seat from end of grip is just 82mm, the hood is 14mm and 2 nuts are 10mm (5mm each). I compared this to my Mudhole MHX kit rod which has a seat 88mm, the hood is 13mm and the single nut is 7mm. The reels I've been testing are an old Medalist and a new Allen with reel foot lengths the same at 63mm. The new (problem) seat has 12mm less length to fit the reel. Taking one of the nuts off the seat gives just enough clearance to fit the reel without having to jam it up into the fixed hood.
I got the seat, grip and guide set off an e bay @#$%&. Decent enough quality considering this is really a learning rod and price was good at ~$20 but apparently I need to pay closer attention to the specs.

Date: March 14, 2011 07:17PM

Kurt, it's better to build the rod properly with the right size components, or modifications to compnents > and fix it as you have done, than to hack up a reel. While you recieved solid advise quickly on this post, youhave to be very careful who you take advice from as there are a lot of hack builders who have no credentials or credibility who post on al the forums.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 14, 2011 07:49PM

Roger,

Billy pays a fee to add that advertising to his posts. He helps me pay the bills here. You might want to thank him rather than berate him. He's one of the guys that provides this forum for everybody.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2011 07:51PM

Tom,
Of course I agree that Billy is a huge source of excellent information. I just knew that you were rather adamant about "spurious advertising" on the site. I appreciate the update about his particular status.

Roger

Date: March 14, 2011 08:44PM

Billy Vivona Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> you have to be very careful
> who you take advice from

Roger that. Thanks, Billy

Posted by: Robert Marie (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2011 12:42PM

Greetings Kurt and All,

Because your time is so important, these are my thoughts:
#1 I'll urge a 'punt' for reset/removal/restart of the handle works.
(eg. because your time and the intrinsic worth of your work product is very important & way..way too 'lasting'..

#2 You have received an important lesson for life (I sure remember my past lessons).
This is also why 'rehearsals' or 'backs-of-envelopes' are ways to maintain our sanity better. IMHOP

#3 My inperfections have led me to this one idea: Never, never let your work product 'out of your hands' when you knowingly see a problem
that doesn't meet your standards.
Its likely that 'others' will also 'see' that flaw that you 'see'..(IMHOP)

Good luck in your craft,

Bob M

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster