I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy Help Please
Posted by: John Clanton (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2011 10:51AM

Hello Everyone,

Fourth and fifth build and I switched to Flex Coat Lite from Flex Coat High Build. I had used syringes to measure out the high build but tossed them when I finished the bottles. I mixed the Lite by eye in a mixing cup and coated two different rods with two different batches of epoxy. The first rod is still slightly tacky after three days. I can leave a fingerprint mark in the finish. The second rod was finished 12 hours ago and the left over finish is gummy. I'm assuming I have unequal proportions mixed together. Garage has been 70 degrees throughout process. The rod from three days ago that is tacky has a fairly thick coat of epoxy. Should I apply a very thin top coat, which I planned to do anyway, or do I strip it off and start over? The rod that is gummy has a very thin coat where all thread wraps are still visible. Should I strip or apply over this or completely start over? Thanks in advance.

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy Help Please
Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: March 13, 2011 11:08AM

To start with, you should never try and "eyeball" a finish mixture. They are designed to be precisely mixed on a 1 to 1 ratio.
What you might consider is trying it on just one of the guides on each rod and see what the results are. If it doesn't work, nothing lost, as you would have to strip it anyway. I can't give an exact answer, because I have never had this scenario happen to me as of yet

Ron Weber

Posted by: Ed Kindervater (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2011 11:09AM

Just apply a coat of properly measured and mixed finish over them.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2011 11:19AM

Mix a batch 50/50 by volume not weight and recoat. It will set up. You are not the first to have this concern and many have recoated with no concern.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2011 04:13PM by Fred Yarmolowicz.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 13, 2011 11:22AM

12 hours is not enough to worry over, yet.

I'd put both rods in a warm room for a couple days and if nothing changes, then you can begin trying to remedy the situation.

Posted by: Joe Azar (---.sub-174-252-215.myvzw.com)
Date: March 13, 2011 12:19PM

When a two part epoxy is mixed a chemical reaction is started. That reaction hasn't completely started until you have fully blended the two components. At that point let the epoxy rest for two minutes. What happens during that time is the chemical reaction is fully started in the entire mix, most of the bubbles will disappear and you have a mix that will kick properly. Even if you haven't measured exactly you will have a good cure.
If you think for one minute that every batch that the manufacturer produces is the same, they are not. There is a tolerance in all the components from raw material to the finished blend of resin and hardener that is acceptable. So is the case when you mix the two together.
The aforementioned two minute rest will insure success.

Date: March 13, 2011 02:03PM

Where epoxy thread finishes are concerned, you will not get a good cure if you haven't measured properly. The margin for error is slight, and the less you mix the more apt you are to fall outside that margin. This is why epoxy finish formulators advise measuring with syringes and mixing at least 3ccs of each part. It increases your margin for error. In the long run, mixing a little more finish is less expensive than having to recoat or start over.

Date: March 13, 2011 02:04PM

Joe,

You'll want to read the article on epoxies in the Volume 14 #3 issue of RodMaker due out in June.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 13, 2011 09:41PM

John,
If you apply a new properly mixed finish over the first it will cure and probably cure the top layer of the first coat. But it prob. will not cure the finish in the tunnels and at the blank / thread interface. If the tunnels are not filled with cured finish the giuiodes will/may have a tentancy to rock. Bottom line you may have to strip everything off and redo
Herb.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2011 11:24PM

John,
I agree with the afore mentioned posts.
As important as the correct ratio by volume is the actual mixing itself.

Be sure to mix gently for at least 120 seconds or two minutes, using the fold over method with a fairly wide stick. This will get the mix well mixed with minimum bubbles. Also frequently wipe off the side of the stick, so that you don't leave unmixed mixture on the stick and contaminate the mixture.

Be safe and cure hard.

If you can, raise the area where you are doing your drying to 90 or 100 degrees. The added heat will often kick off a mix that is slow on curing.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.sip.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 16, 2011 06:25PM

I'd certainly attempt to fix it before scrapping it. Like Tom said, mix AT LEAST 3cc of each component, re-coat what you already have, and let it cure. If you have a small heater (like a ceramic room heater) you can use it to help finishes set. Once your epoxy stops flowing just take it in a small room. If you have a dryer, set it up, and turn the heater on. Most of these heaters have fans so you will want a clean room w/o carpet...too much dust flying around otherwise.

Best of luck to you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster