I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Most sensitive bass blanks?
Posted by: Tim Whitley (209.168.156.---)
Date: March 11, 2011 09:49PM

I am a bass fisherman and would like opinions on most sensitive bass blanks. I know that in general the thinner and lighter the blank the more sensitive and usually less durable. I can accept that rod may fail with some fishing situations i.e. improper handling. Will build only for personal use so only one person will fish rods. Currently fishing Loomis IMX and GLX and appreciate the feel of these rods. Try to catch bass on jigs and worms around grass in Guntersville. Hope this generates several responses and opinions sorry to miss the Expo could have answered many questions there.

Thanks

Tim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Most sensitive bass blanks?
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: March 11, 2011 10:01PM

The lighter the finished rod, the more sensitive it is ... all other things being equal. Therefore, the build matters a LOT ... components add weight. IMO, the blank is just the beginning of the conversation.

In respect to blanks, I would recommend looking at St Croix SCV - the power to strength ratio is quite possibly the best in the industry. While at the show, I handled some of the new HM blanks from North Fork - they were quite impressive. One other candidate would be the Batson RX8 series, they offer good value in a well rounded package.

Posted by: larry basilio (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2011 10:37PM

Jim, I to build on a St Croix SCV , I realy like this rod

Posted by: Tim Whitley (209.168.156.---)
Date: March 11, 2011 10:57PM

Jim

I build with micro guides single color simple wrap in attempt to keep weght down. I was hoping someone would bring up NFC HM blanks. Jim have you purchased a NFC blank to build? The St Croix SCV is of know quality and seems to be blank more widely used to build on. Larry and Jim which SCV blanks have you used?

Tim

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2011 08:02AM

Tim;
I would put the Batson RX8+ at the top of the list in blanks that I've found most sensitive over the last few years. With the ST Croix SCV's right there with them
Batson's RX8's are a little step down, but still incredible blanks and if hauling big bass out of thick grass? IMO are the better choice of the three.

Choosing a fast blank, but will cost you more lost fish using jigs in heavy grass and also shaky heads on lighter stuff. You will land more of what you hook, using more moderate actions for these techniques increasing you landing percentages.

My first choice in a jig rod for fishing grass grass like what Guntersville has would be the;
Batson XMB944.5 (perfect for this application).
Following up on what Jim said; construction materials and techniques will have as much or more effect on the rod as the blank.
Micro's are a good start in that direction
Recently completed one of the 8 ft XMB944.5 that weighs only 4.83 oz,

Posted by: robert kravic (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 12, 2011 08:15AM

if you can wait get a phenix T46 blank. i am in the process of building a 7-6 medium heavy and with a cutdown reelseat and micros its feasible that it will finish out at 2.4 ounces. i have not fished it or even test casted it but i haven't been this excited about a blank since i found shikari shx's. i don't know if the blanks i got are prototypes or what but don't care cuz they sure are LIGHT!

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: March 12, 2011 02:33PM

Sensitivity is stiffness to weight ratio. Any weight you put on the rod will reduce sensitivity... this includes the weight of rod building components, the weight of the reel, and even what type of reel in some cases (clue: some spinning reels are plastic, others metal).

For a blank, I'd look at an unpainted blank with carbon scrim first.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2011 02:37PM by Gary Snyder.

Posted by: John Samuels (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2011 07:52PM

You bass guys might want to re-think spending extra money on a blank just for sensitivity's sake. Gary may be correct when saying "Sensitivity is stiffness to weight ratio" when referring to the rod only. A higher ratio indicates a more dense material, and sensitivity is a function of density. But since the mono and synthetic braided lines you use are about the same density as water, if there's any advantage it would only be in very shallow water, very close to the boat. That small cross section of line diameter is no match for all the surface contact of the water along the lines length. Any vibration from the fish's bite would have been dissipated away long before reaching your hand (dampening effect). If we don't have too much slack out, the bite creates drag, which translates to a pull on the line and a more sensitive rod isn't as necessary to feel pull. Don't get me wrong, I think the higher modulus blanks are fantastic because of the weight, strength, responsiveness and overall performance alone. Just something to think about. Oh, I've heard some fiberglass rods are more dense than graphite, but I haven't checked into it yet, now that would be ironic.

Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 12, 2011 10:34PM

Tim,

I fish Guntersville fairly regularly. I built a Batson XMB 783 RX8 stricly for fishing there. I also built several Castaway HG 40 783 blanks that I got from Swampland. Both work well in the grass there. They have the power to get the bass out. Not sure the Castawy blanks are still available.

Bert Nagy

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.fuse.net)
Date: March 12, 2011 11:07PM

IMO, CTS makes the best blanks if you can wait for delivery.
The Batson RX8 are a great value.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2011 12:02AM

John;
Then I would have to say some of these bass guys must be building some great rods on awesome blanks, because I swear I have felt the fish biting in 40 to 60 ft of water, and it did not feel like a pull

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 13, 2011 07:56AM

The real "sensitive" thing in the boat is the angler in the back of the boat who hears from up front - ""Hey Bud you just misssed another one" from his skilled and insensitive fishing partner!" Many times in bass fishing the rod is used as a recovery device. How do you "feel" a bite with a slack line?

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: March 13, 2011 10:12AM

Line does make a big difference in sensitivity. With line, how sensitive it is seems to depend on two things... a combination of the density and the stretch. I like mono for the handling characteristics. Different brand/models of monofilament can stretch anywhere from about 16% to 28%. With the light bass rods I build, and the low stretch mono I use (Stren Magnathin, 18% stretch), I can feel the hit (tap) on a plastic worm in the 40'+ lake I fish all the time.

All sensitivity really does is make fishing more fun... I like to feel the hit... and with soft plastic baits, a more sensitive outfit allows you to feel the hit sooner to reduce the chance of the fish swallowing the bait before you know it's time to set the hook.

But for many other fishing techniques, sensitivity is not really important.

To contact me, visit
[www.snyderrods.com]

Posted by: John Samuels (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2011 10:13AM

Steve:
For years, I would swear I felt the "bite" too. If your fishing in 60 ft of water that line couldn't have had much slack in it. It doesn't take much for the fish's hit to create enough tension on the line for you to feel the "pull". It doesn't have to make the rod tip move, just carry the energy and vibrations of the line straightening out up close enough to the surface for you to feel it. With a slack line, in deep water, you ain't feeling nothing. Haven't you ever been fishing and suddenly see a bunch of slack created in the line, and then take it up only to find you had a fish on?

Bill:
I thought I was offering hope and encouragement letting them know they just missed a fish...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster