I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Smallest alconites for a 6 weight?
Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: March 11, 2011 05:05PM

Hello all,

A friend has asked me to build him a 6 weight with alconite guides but i'm not sure which size would work best.

Does anyone know what would be the smallest size running guides you could use with 6 weight, weight forward line?

thanks,
Tom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Smallest alconites for a 6 weight?
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.135.188.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2011 05:58PM

Ask your customer what type of connection he/she will use to join leader to line. Nail knots will be largest, needle knots slightly smaller, co-axial braided mono loops smaller yet. It's hard to guess the diameter of welded loops. The rush to micro guides on a #6 rod is a bit difficult to understand. Shoulder fatigue and maximum distance casting are not big issues for the great majority of situations in which a #6 weight rod is used. To err a few thousandths on the big side with guides on a #6 weight rod probably wouldn't upset anyone except a full-tilt fanatic.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 11, 2011 06:07PM

If it is a soft blank I would not go ceramics A fast should be able to hold them But you are talking extra weight ?

Ti guides or Minimas

Knots if he can not come over and show you his knots - then have him do one and send it to you Not the whole line just the knot Then you can see if it goes though the ring

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 11, 2011 06:25PM

Thanks for the input.

If not Alconites, what size Minimas would be recommended?

Thanks for the advice, I'm still new to building fly rods.

Tom.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 11, 2011 06:33PM

Tom K knows these guides better then I Ask him I myself would think them or wire

But this also depends on what blank he is going to use. A fast blank could hold the ceramics better then a Mod blank IMHO The lighter the better !!!

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Craig Johnson1 (---.up.net)
Date: March 11, 2011 10:35PM

Tom,

Try Minima size 10 stripper and size 7, 6 & 5 single foots. Not sure if the size 5 will accommodate your knots(ID=4.5 mm) but the foot width of the size 6 exceeds the blank diameter near the tip of finer diameter rods. Guess you can grind the foot width if you need to use size 6.

Regards,

Craig

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: March 12, 2011 04:59AM

I just put minimas on a 5 weight for my uncle and i used size 5's. The 4s didnt pass the connections that he uses very well.(welded loop) Just for reference, a size 5 minima has a 4mm opening, and a size 6 alconite has a 4mm opening. Again check your connections and see how small you can go and still pass then to your satisfaction

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.73.28.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: March 12, 2011 02:14PM

Tom,
Unless you are trying to slow the blank frequency down you are unlikely to find guides lighter with larger openings then single foot wire guides.
Use a larger titanium single foot wire and you will increase blank frequency, feel and sensitivity without the concern for passing loops or poorly tied knots.

Eugene Moore

Date: March 12, 2011 07:37PM

Hello all,

Thanks for all the information. Lots of food for thought!

best,

Tom.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster