I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CLeaning Rod Bond Residue
Posted by: Tom Rumore (---.pa.subnet.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 11, 2011 04:28PM

I just finished gluing the handle and reel seat and it looks great. A day later I noticed some RB residue near the section tip which I did not notice until all was dry. It's not a lot, but its unsightly and annoys me to no end as you can imagine. Can I get this off without damaging the finish?

Thanks
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CLeaning Rod Bond Residue
Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2011 05:20PM

Well first off, what color is the finish? I use denatured alcohol which is what a lot of people use. But if the finish is colored, I would head down to Walgreens, CVS, Duane Reade, all of those places (local drug store) and get a bottle of isopropyl alcohol. Just make sure it's not the colored stuff. I think its like 71% isopropyl or something. It's not as strong as denatured alcohol, but will do the job most times and not damage the finish. I take a paper towel, and rub it HARD! twss.

Good luck.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 11, 2011 05:44PM

Being it is dry I would try my finger nail and see if it pops off - With luck
Or maybe heat from a hair dryer and a popsicle stick may pop it off

No guarantees

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 11, 2011 05:57PM

that works too.

Date: March 11, 2011 05:57PM

that works too.
sorry double post.

Posted by: Jim Meallows (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: March 11, 2011 07:53PM

Goof off is an adhesive remover I have used many times. It's also a brain cell killer and strong smelling. You can find it in the paint section at any hardware store

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 11, 2011 09:59PM

Alcohol will not remove cured epoxy! Best to try warming it and use your fingernail as suggested earlier or some thing that will not damage the blank to pick at it. Any solvent strong enough to desolve the epoxy will most like ly also damage the blank finish.

Date: March 12, 2011 11:35AM

its not fully cured as it was only 24 hours. i believe rodbond takes more time to "cure" than that.

Date: March 12, 2011 11:35AM

another double post... jeezz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2011 11:36AM by Gabe Nakash.

Posted by: Ed Kindervater (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2011 01:02PM

Gabe,
Rod Rond or any adhesive will be set 24 hours it is set to a point that alcohol is not going to touch it. A little heat as suggested os the best option now.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2011 10:43PM

As long as it is not on a water break free surface it should come off with a little heat and a finger nail.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Tom Rumore (---.pa.subnet.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 14, 2011 07:13AM

Thanks guys. Sorry for not replying, I was away all weekend. The finger nail method does seem to do the trick. The remaining "skim" of adhesive should come off with adhesive remover. I'll try that tonight. It's a St Croix SCIII/IV blank, 10', 8wt. in dark brown. Just taped the guides and tested it. Casts like a dream.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster