I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thought for older rod craftsmen.
Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 11, 2011 08:27AM

Many of us are long in the tooth as they say. Many of us are still building or repairing rods. There will come a day when we voluntarily or are forced to give up our wonderful passion.
Look around your shops. What will become of all the items we have collected, tools, blanks, components, lathes, supplies, drying boxes, designs, customer files etc. You get the idea. Many of us have thousands of dollars invested. What will become of all this? Joking i say that the first guy to walk in after I'm gone and offer to take everything away for $500 will walk out with a fortune. Our family has no idea what all we have is worth!

So what to do? I have thought about this at length. Have discussed this with a very good friend/rod craftsman who is older than me. I know what I would like to do but have not yet all the answers. I shared my idea with my older friend who thought it was the way to go. He actually is doing what I would like to do.

Probably no one in my family will have use for my "stuff". That is okay. They would not know what to do with all this "stuff", My solution is to find a younger person, maybe some one wanting to learn our craft or expand her/his knowledge and experience. Maybe some one without the money to get involved but has the passion. We all meet someone wanting to learn our craft. It would be like an apprenticeship. They could become an assistant (heaven knows us long in the tooth guys always need help, ha, ha). If I can find such a person I would pass on what I have to her/him. It would be great if it was one of my grandchildren.

After talking with my older friend he realized that he has such a person involved with him. He thanked me for the idea and is happy that he knows where all his "stuff' will go.

The thought of trying to sell the "stuff" feels like a job. The bargain hunters would be a turn off. Yes, it would be nice to sell everything in one lot for a fair price (I have bought out a shops "stuff' in the past). The picture of all this "stuff" out at the curb for the garbage men to take away is disturbing!

Hopefully I have many years to think about this. The ideal way would be to not buy more "stuff" and use up all these blanks and other items. Ha, ha, how come I don't see that as a reality.

Just something to think about. Pass on our passion to someone who will carry the torch.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thought for older rod craftsmen.
Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 11, 2011 09:03AM

Thanks Neil,

As you know, I am one of the long in the tooth(no teeth?) crowd, with a bunch of 'stuff'.

There's a classic saying " I hope my wife doesn't sell this stuff for what I told her I paid for it', which is applicable.

I, too have a ton of 'stuff' that would probably have found it's way to the landfill, but I put it in my will to have one of my fishing/rodbuilding friends come over with a truck and haul everything associated with fishing/rodbuilding off and dispose of it. He knows the value of this 'stuff' and will treat it accordingly.

I encountered a major stroke in December and was hospitalized until February. Lying in that bed gives one a lot of time to ponder and changes your whole outlook on life. I've decided to 'stop and smell the roses', so to speak.

I have a few more rods to build and new ideas to try out, so hopefully, I'll make a bunch more as well as 'flight test' them on the beach.

Thanks for the post.

Your friend,

Charlie Smoote(Charlie2)

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: March 11, 2011 10:04AM

Finding an apprentice is a great idea.
None of us know when his time will come.
Thinking about where our "stuff" could go ahead of time is a huge help to our survivors.
We are blessed to have an adult son who is now building.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Steven Tekulsky (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2011 10:18AM

A sobering thought for a "new" hobby rod builder just starting at the age of 58! I'd like to be an apprentice, but who would have me at this advanced age?

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 11, 2011 10:36AM

Hi Steven,

Almost any one of us older craftsmen. 58 is a great age to start anew. Look around and see how many men and women over 70 and even 80 are in today's work force. These days survivors have to reinvent themselves often.

I lost a technical career at 53. So I became the party boat captain that i thought I would become at 62. Was building rods at that time but as a hobby. Went professional as a rod builder while running party boats. One kinda went with the other. Started to lose my boat skills around 68 so I stopped the boats and now concentrate on the rod orders.

So Steven keep your eyes and ears open and keep looking for other rod builders in your area. Repairs is good money. If you have tackle shops in your area maybe you can hook up with one of them.

Man, you are in your prime!!! Good fortune!

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: March 11, 2011 10:37AM

I'm one of teh long tooth fellows as well. What i have done is listed the cost by item for everything in my shop. As was said my wife hasen't a clue as to the value so now my wife,kids and grand kids will be able to value the stuff after i'm gone.

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2011 10:40AM

Not that I consider myself in the old group HA HA but another thought should you not be able to find an apprentice is to take a total inventory of everything from tools, lathes and components get a wholesale, a retail price and what you would consider a fair price for the lot and let your family know where the inventory list is located.

I and I know others have often been contacted when someone has passed away and the family have no idea what the items are worth, so make up the list along with any avenues for sale or donation you may be aware of and let the family know what do in the event you can’t continue with the hobby or business.
John

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: March 11, 2011 10:47AM

Capt. That was a very good post.

I did not have any one to mentor me and it is my own fault. My brother was into rod bulding and tried several times talking me into it and I thought , noooo, This just is not something I can do . Ken was my clossest brother, (out of four). Shortly after he built a couple of rods for me, he suddenly passed away. Awhile later we went to visit my sister in law and her girls in Mich. I went to the Cabelas store in Dundee , Mich. and saw they had rod kits. I thought I had to try it. After building my first rod, like others I was hooked. My next trip to Michigan, Kens` wife gave me a few blanks, guides etc. his wrapper and what all.

Well I guess the point I`m getting at is Ken didn`t have much stuff nor did he have a plan on what was to be done with it. In his case it worked out. He finally got me into rod building. Darn, I wish I could build a rod with him!!!!

Thus: B&K Custom Built Rods

I hope to find some one to mentor and pass my "STUFF" on to.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2011 01:09PM by Bill Eshelman.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: March 11, 2011 11:38AM

Just a small bit of humor to add to a very enlightening post that a lot of people have never considered.

"Don't they have fish up there, and need custom rods?"

Ron Weber

Posted by: Joe Azar (---.sub-174-252-197.myvzw.com)
Date: March 11, 2011 11:58AM

Bill,
I'll be your apprentice.
By the way, how are you feeling?
I'm clearing some bench space.
Joe

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2011 01:04PM

Ron, They really do not need custom rods "up There" Thousands were fed with just 3 fish

Joe, Sorry, you are much to eager.

I`m feeling fine thank-you but I will let you know for sure tomorrow after breakfast.

Please do not mess with my food you are NOT in my will

So don`t bother cleaning your bench

LOL

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Bill Burkett (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: March 11, 2011 03:40PM

Good topic Bill. I retired about 10 years ago and moved from Alaska (30 years) down to Baja, Mexico. I had been teaching a young coworker the basics of rod building and he'd built several rods for himself and others had asked him to build them some for them (isn't that how we all got started?). Because of the move, I knew I needed to reduce my supply inventory by as much as possible, but I still wanted to continue building rods. So, I went through everything and set aside all the components for UL, fly, salmon and pretty much anything I figured I could do without down here. I'd like to tell you that my "apprentice" paid me every dime that the package was worth, but then I'd be lying. He really never could have afforded to, as he was young with a family, but I did get more for the stuff than my wife would at my post demise yard sale and it felt good to help support the youngster's bad habit.

Posted by: Bernie Cohen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 11, 2011 03:56PM

My dear friend Neil the thought of what to do with all my show rods and fishing equipment as well as the tremendous amount of rod building equipment has been on my mind ever since I was diagnosed with a life threatening illness. That with my age being way up there (I only know of one rod builder older then me) I have thought of what to do with all this stuff. Not wanting to burden my friends with the job of selling off the stuff for my wife I have decided to give my stuff away when the time comes. I will let my family take any of the finished stuff they may want to remember me by (although none of them fish) and the rest of the stuff to go to my fishing buddies and rod building buddies.
This may be a little premature as the last couple of tests have shown my problems may be in remission so I stil have thoughts of getting back to the what I love to do and you know it's rod building and fishing.
As for you Neil you are still a young man with plenty of time to be thinking about bucket thoughts.

Posted by: Steven Tekulsky (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2011 04:13PM

Neil: Actually, I have been fortunate enough to just take a class with your "old" friend Al Goldberg out here in East Hampton. As you know, he is a great teacher and very unselfish with his knowledge and time. If I work hard enough, maybe he'll have me as his apprentice when I'm 65 or so!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2011 06:40PM

Neil,
This does bring up an interesting topic.
i.e. what do you own and how much is it worth - both its current value, as the cost to replace. (This is essentially what your topic is about).

I have been the executor on a couple of estates. In all of these cases, I hired a person to video everything in the estate.
After getting every thing recorded, I sat down with all of the folks involved in the estate. Together, we put values on everything in the estate - both for estate apprasial purposes as well as potential - sale prices.
In these cases we valued the items at present value - NOT replacement value.

So, we then simply recorded each and every item and placed a value on everything in the estate. It is interesting to see how such a process goes. i.e. the large variation in value that some folks place on things.

If, as has been brought out by some of the previous posts, there is not a person in the line of heirs that has an interest in "the rod building items" it is a good idea to be realistic about the actual market value of these used items.

The general rule of thumb is that the value of used items is somewhere between 30-50% of replacement value.

Another source of valuation is someone who does @#$%&. You can also look up potential sale items on one of the many on line @#$%& sites to see sold prices for previous @#$%& of similar values.

Bottom line - the actual sale prices of many of the things that are in a typical rod builders shop is much much much less than what the person actually paid for the items if the item was purchased new.

Remember, then the purchaser of an item comes in to buy something, that person is looking at the market price of the item, and that person does not have any sentimental value associated with it, as we all do with our treasures.

Just for your own peace of mind, it is really not a bad idea to take Excel - build up a spread sheet, and inventory everything that is in your shop.
Put one line in the spread sheet, which would be the value for replacment of this item.
Then, put another line in the spread sheet which would be the value for the current market value of the item.

The use of the spread sheet and the instant summing of all of the lines will give you a quick value on the items in the shop - both actual value as well as replacement value.

The other thing to consider, is that perhaps it is time to get rid of items that either aren't being used, or have no value. Also, maybe it is time to simply take a big garbage bag and simply dump things that have no value and for which you really have no use.

Over the years, we have had folks that we knew, parent,s grandparents etc. who had one of the partners pass on. Often, it seemed that there were literally thousands of things that needed to be moved - either sold or dumped - after the person passed. It is really a favor to the folks left behind if many of those items are gone before one ever passess so that the folks remaining don't have to do the big cleanup.

Just a few thoughts.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2011 02:08PM

Great post Neil,

I agree with you wholeheartedly with the thought that passing down our "stuff" to an apprentice and or other rod builder or builder's as being the 100% best way to dispose it after we no longer have any use for it for one reason or another. Much of our stuff has much more of a "value" to us than just the monetary value and I for one would be happier knowing certain parts of my stuff went to those who would appreciate it as, or almost as much, as I do. As I write this I think about the 3 Clemens books I have that are autographed to me by the author. Those are among the most cherished rod building items I own. Just having the thought of those & a few other things being tossed or sold on Craig's List is a horror! God forbid.

Those of us who have reached middle age, have or will have soon, the experience of deciding what to do with stuff once cherished by a loved one.
Sometimes it's not an easy task either unless things are pre-planned.

My mom used to make ceramic & porcelain dolls as well as many other things using those materials. She also hand made all of the doll clothing for her dolls. She had all that was needed and then some for hand painting, sewing, & ceramics. Literally enough crafting "stuff" to fill a 10X20 storage unit top to bottom! When she became unable to enjoy her craft everything went into storage. She couldn't bear to part with ANY of it. It would have been like taking her children away. So, without any planning, when she passed it was tough to decide how to handle her storage unit and it was a TON of work as well. We were able to sell her kilns at a fair price & used the funds towards her final expences but EVERYTHING else was given away to a few other crafting ladies who were like kids on Christmas morning filling up on all they could carry. One of which ran a free low-budget ceramics class and said much of what she was able to aquire was a Godsend for her students. Mom would be very happy to know all of her dress patterns & material, molds (some not made anymore), and all of the other gadgets & gizmos went to people that shared her passion & love for something that was such a huge part of her life.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: John Kraft (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 13, 2011 05:29PM

Neil, Great post! I also started late...58. Now 60. I cant believe what I have built up in 2 years. Also 45 years of Store bought rods, baits, spoons, cranks, jigs, OMG.......

Posted by: Steven Franatovich (66.87.7.---)
Date: March 13, 2011 06:37PM

I'm one of the newbies here and this is an awesome thread to read. If theres anyone that would love an apprentice I'm eager to learn everything there is.

Posted by: robert Boomer (---.providence.org)
Date: March 31, 2011 05:01PM

What an inspiration. I have just recently started to build. As a kid I used to watch my dad build, but he never had the time to teach me. Well, years later I'm doing it. There is a great difference though, I'm teaching my son. For those of you who have boys, or even girls don't let the oppurtunity pass you by to spend some awesome time with them teaching them a craft that will provide them with years of satisfaction.

Posted by: Daniel Glenn Eason (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2011 09:17PM

Dear Neil.

The choice you have made concerning your possessions, swells my heart with pride. I cannot explain to you why as it would only be confusing and does not belong on this forum. but suffice to say your spirit gives me hope that the long path before me is worth walking, and my labor is not in vain.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster