I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What to do?
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 10, 2011 08:47PM

Michael, I'm serious about this. Build me a rod and take as long as you want. Do some wild and crazy looking pattern on it as long as the colors are purple and lime green. Do something that you've never done before. As wild looking as you can get. Get in touch with me and we'll talk blanks. Take the rest of the year if you want but don't quit building. I have a Sean Endres wrapped rod and I'd like one of yours too.

Lance

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Steve Zayas (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2011 09:05PM

An attitude I dont have a attitude ...ok mabe a little im a little firey,but im a nice guy and respect everybody.Thread skills im working on but thanks for the compliment .maybe a poker game but i probably go home broke..

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2011 09:08PM

I got a couple Xp's half done,,,awesome blanks. Thanks for your support Lance, you get it too.

MJ

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 10, 2011 09:54PM

"There are sorrows enough for the whole world's end, there are no guarentees but the grave, for this life we live and the times we spend are treasures too precious to save, what can we do with our days but work and hope that our dreams bind our work to our play, what can we do with each moment of our lives but love 'til we've loved it away, love 'til we've loved it away!" Bob Franke 'Thanksgiving Eve' Mike, ' that our dreams bind our work to our play'.... go enjoy something and put yourself into it. Take care

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2011 09:55PM by Steve Cox.

Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 11, 2011 01:30AM

I dont have any words of wisdom...Im not that smart. I hope you hold on to your stuff and one day find the inspiration you need to get back at it. When I am looking for that spark, I find it in THE NERB and TEH NERB's photo albums. IF you do decided to make a gathering/BBQ fishing trip whatever it may be, I would gladly drive up there to meet you. The best way I can put it is with my son Tyler. He will sit for hours looking at your wraps in astonishment, then run to the garage and start trying to wrap something new. To be able to inspire people with your work is special, not many people can do it. To be able to keep a 10yr olds attention and then have him try some of the stuff, well its just down right amazing. All in all the best thing I can say is something my Grandfather told me one day. Listen to what everyone has to say, take it in absorb it, then do the whatever the he** you want to do.

Posted by: David Boyle (---.dsl.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: March 11, 2011 05:55AM

What an awesome thread. I see this as a search for meaning. I'm there, looking for it in everything I do, finding it sometimes, other times wondering where it has gone.

I've got no idea whether you should keep your gear or not. What I know is that things change, people change, what makes people happy changes.

Thank you Mike for the inspirational stuff you have posted and shared with us over many years. It always got me thinking. It was a privilege to celebrate my birthday with you, and I hope that won't be the last time it happens.

So much good stuff to ponder in this thread, it's got me thinking... See - you've done it again!

DB

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 11, 2011 09:09AM

Starring across the table, trying to get into the "head" of a card playing opponent making feeble raises "pales in comparison" to displaying your rodbuilding skills and knowing your work declares an "All In" that will fold any rodbuilders hand!

I hope you choose the use the "soap" properly and continue to provide balls of thread for the "dogs" entanglement. The picture has been removed from your Photo Gallery!

Try the Hilltop Steakhouse, Golden B annana Replacement, No Name, Charter Fishing Trip and a trip to the Swamp for gumbo and boudin. There will always be a lime green shirt with purple scribbling for you.

I can not imagine you spending the time to clean up your rod shop!

I have a trip scheduled for Southie next month - will contact you if you are not underground!

Gon Fishn

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2011 09:56AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2011 11:19AM

LOL!!! Bill & everyone else click here: [northeastrodbuilders.com] I removed this page from teh NERBs site, but it's still hidden. Pretty fiunny!!

Posted by: Steve Zayas (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2011 11:30AM

thats how rodbuilding was going for me till i went to a nerbs gathering..

Date: March 11, 2011 11:58AM

OMG Billy, the burning watermelon wrap is a classick!!!!!!..............thank you to all for your responses and emails, its greatly appreciated. Obviously, theres alot going on in my head regarding rodbuilding, missing it?..probablly. Maybe a good thing would be to go to Rob Savino's gathering and hang with some builders for awhile. Who knows...maybe host another NERBS gathering in April??? (baby steps...baby steps)

Mr Bill Stevens............always the genius with the written word.....I can only say that there is no better feeling than being at a final table at Foxwoods wearing my favorite Swampland purple and lime long sleeve, and reraise shoving all my chips on the river into the chip leader (with absolutely nothing!!) and watching him throw down the best hand....FEAR the puple and green!!!!!

Posted by: John Dow (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2011 08:29PM

Exactly what happened to me a couple of years ago .............I never did the intense thread art like you , but I loved to build rods (and still do , ) Now it's a rod or 2 a year when ever I get the itch .

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 11, 2011 09:57PM

Many years ago I was into leather tooling,came to the point that I was burned out.Thought the best thing was to get rid of it all and move on.Big mistake.I have wished I had my tools a thousand times over. Just close the door and go for some R and R.However long it takes. Just don't go cold turkey, you have a lot of investment and many, many memories. You just might want to open that door again. Enjoyed seeing your work and reading your post. One thing though, I still would like to know where you got the coupler for the grinder disc and turning motor for prepping guides?? Good luck in what ever direction you may take.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2011 10:25PM

Wow...holy John Dow!!!!!! I always hoped your son Zach got into it. look me up if you get the chance.

Date: March 11, 2011 10:30PM

Donald....standard sewing machine motor..and the coupling I got out of a McMaster-Carr catalog..couplings are good to have.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2011 02:28AM

I started building in the 80's but when I moved 300ml north from So. Cal to Nor. Cal I had only so much room so I gave my rod lathe and misc. stuff to a buddy figuring I would just replace it easy enough. However, it was 21 yrs before I did finally pick up the torch again and I am truly sorry I didn't keep the craft alive instead.

If you depart with all you need now you will most likely regret that decision later. I know I did!

my 2cents

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2011 09:48AM

Mike, You never cease to amaze me with your posts. This has to be a tough post for you. As an artist you have to have the inspiration and drive to complete your work. That comes from many avenues, such as your mind, state of being,experiences etc. It cannot be forced or it wont work. Sometimes the work can bring you back to a point in life that you may or may not want to revisit. Sometimes the work is physically painful due to the abuse your body takes at the day job (my hands take a beating even with protection,am typing this with the thumb splinted and busted wide open). Only you can answer the question if you will be able to build again.
Family has to come first. I thought when my daughter left for college I would have all the time in the world to do what I want. Boy was I wrong.
Take your passion to your next adventure. As far as the stuff, pack it nicely away and sit on it. You never know what you will find when you clean up. If you are ever inclined and capable to revisit the craft you will be all set. You will always be a NERB Even if you never build another rod. You left your mark and I will be forever grateful for that. Let the path you are on take you where it may lead you,enjoy the journey and you never know what the inspiration will lead you to.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2011 09:48AM

Sorry double post..Darn busted up thumb.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2011 09:49AM by Fred Yarmolowicz.

Posted by: mike burnette (---.pmtnet.net)
Date: March 12, 2011 03:31PM

From another Michael,,I would like to thank Dave also!!
mikeb

Home Town,Gretna VA

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 13, 2011 04:27PM

Mike ..... Thank you for the reply about the coupling. Will check it out and order extra. Good Day!! <<<<DON>>>>

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster