I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What to do?
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2011 06:21PM

I think I'm kind of looking for an answer, or maybe if some others have been in this spot, a suggestion. ........I really love, or use to love rodbuilding alot....24/7, like alot of you do right now. Constantly thinking about better ways to do things for function or creativity , or both. I've had a ton of fun, and have met a great group of people, stepped on peoples toes, and poked a bees hive with a nest a few times (smiling the whole time). I've completely lost all the spirit and creativity..it occasionally comes back in minor waves, but for a short period of time. Would you sell all the tools and items youve collected over the years, or set it all aside with the hopes that you get the "bug" back?...............It really @#$%& staring at alot of cool stuff that would help another young builder, but tough to part with.

MJ

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What to do?
Posted by: Rob Savino (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2011 06:35PM

Mike
How long has this been happening? Maybe it's just temporary thing. Creativity definitely comes and goes . Maybe a fishing trip would help. I run a charter out of Boston. Some of the NERBS are think about going out on a trip (saltwater). Using some of the rods you built may get it going again. Look me up if your interested.
Don't sell anything until you are 100% sure.
Rob Savino

Boston, MA

Posted by: Bob Mankin (---.nextweb.net)
Date: March 10, 2011 06:46PM

.......and don't sell anything unless it goes into a shipping box with my address on it.

J/K Mike.

If you are taking a break, just store it away. It will come back to you and you'll wish you had all of that gear to pick up where you left off. You've done some awesome stuff to contribute to the craft.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2011 06:48PM

Mike, whatever you decide to do you're always going to be THE NERB. I am TEH NERB. lol. I hate reading your post but I understand and saw how you lost "it". Doesn't matter, you HAVE TO come down one weekend and join us for a BBQ. Eff rodbuilding, jus tto hang out with the guys.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2011 06:49PM

If you don't necessarily need the money, then put it aside and see what happens over a bit of time. Interests and activities tend to wax and wane for many people.

Posted by: wayne diduch (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: March 10, 2011 06:56PM

Michael, im a great admirer of your work. i have been Building Custom Rods for 26 years. Thanks in large part to Dale Clemons Book, and enough common sense to read back to back before begining my first Rod. From the very begining i was confident enough in my abilities that in as far as Quality and perfomance is concerned i would have put any of those Rods up against anyones. Please don't mistake thet for Arrogance....that's not me. However, as far as cosmetics are concerned, what i though was pretty Cool....not so much. So lets fast forward to 2007, when this Household caught up to the 21st Century and we got Wired to the Internet. When i discovered this web site..two things happened My Jaw just about hit the Floor...and just as Quickly as i browsed through the Photo pages, an almost sick feeling came over me. I remember saying to myself i am SO not in the League of these Gentleman!!! With respect to Design and innovation, i was looking at things i quite literally had never heard of [Wraps that i had never seen, Feather Inlays, Rattlesnake skin inlays.to name a few]. The next Day...a complete turnaround in attitude. I became completely energized...i mean the creative juices began to flow like a River. Things changed very Quickly, a few e-mails to some of the members on this site took my creative levels to the opposite end of the Universe!!! I have never met a Group of Folks who so willingly share their Knowledge, Tips, Tricks etc. I owe a World of Gratitude to these Gentleman. I completely understand your creative juices waning a bit. However i would implore you Mike..beg you if need be to stay in the Craft and don't give up your Custom Rods and your Rod Building tools!!! i think a break for a while would do some good. Spend more time out on the Water?? Just my opinion Mike and thats all it's worth. But i would Truly Love to see you stay, im of the firm belief if you let it all go you will regret it down the Road.Chees Mike!!!

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 10, 2011 07:01PM

Mike,
If you really pour yourself into something for a long period of time, you can run the risk of burning out. It's happened to me a few times with building custom lures. I sometimes get to the point where I don't want to look at my equipment or another lure for weeks. I know the same thing happens to others, I've talked with other guys about it many times. My advice would be to set your stuff aside and get away from it for awhile. Try another hobby- go fishing! You may find that if you get away for a bit that you really miss it and your creativity and passion for rod building will come back.

jeremy

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2011 07:07PM

MJ,

I never met you but have enjoyed your post over the past 3 1/2 years and reallly enjoyed some of the work you posted. I can`t say it any better than Wayne did but I think we will have lost a great rod builder if you give it up. Only you know for sure what is going on and all I can say is don`t sell until you are positive and keep that bar of soap in your mouth while typing

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 10, 2011 07:19PM

I have always found that fly fishing made me feel like I was riding on my old chop Motorcycle This always made me feel like the World Went Away

Are there any type of fish you have not gone for ? If so doing so may bring it back

Then again maybe you just need a break Stay away for a while and see how you feel Only you can tell this

We are always here if you need to - vent - talk

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 10, 2011 07:22PM

Rob ...searched and saw you were planning a rodbuilders gathering in MA?
Keep me posted on a target date, and appreciate your response........as the others. You "see" the dilemma Im in based on responses. Billy and Tom ...ty, it isnt a financial thing, its a drive thing. OCD with rodbuilding was alot of fun.

MJ

Posted by: Joe Azar (---.sub-174-252-214.myvzw.com)
Date: March 10, 2011 07:26PM

As someone who has a number of hobbies, I say put you "stuff" away. Don't sell it unless you need the cash.
I learned to build from my father in the 70's, and built many rods early on. The other hobbies took over. Cars, motorcycles, boats and even critters.
My Dad passed 5 years ago and guess what, I got all the rod building stuff I could handle. With enough stuff to build 200+ rods...I got the bug again. I love building old school rods with some of the cool new things I have learned from people like you.
Now I just juggle between projects.
Whatever you do, HAVE FUN.

Always learning,

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2011 07:29PM by Joe Azar.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2011 07:30PM

Mike, if you want to go to Rob's thing, we can roll back ot the 2004 era of Greyhound for a weekend. YOu never know, I migh tactually DRIVE at some point, lol. And if you wanna do a NERBs BBQ, I've spoken to a lot of the guys we all want to come up to see you.

It really stinks we live so far apart. I feel like my wife left me, lmao. hahahhaa gay me.

Posted by: Ray Mazza (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2011 07:57PM

Mike,
I too have admired your work since I came to rod building. I was in your shoes a few years back. Granted, I do not to this day have the experience or skill you do, but I did run dry on motivation. In my case, money was a bit of an issue, but I could have weathered the storm. I got rid of a ton of stuff, a full pro shop to die for. I sold it for a very fair price to a very excited and motivated builder. It felt good, but I will tell you, the itch came back in a big way and it's frustrating to have to buy things again, they cost much more and some things you can't replace. We haven't even talked about sentimental value either! Don't think it has any? Maybe not, but it is likely that some of it does and you just don't realize it.
My suggestion...find a few things to part with if it will make you feel better. Store the rest for now and consider using it to teach some people that might get bitten by the bug. Make it grade school kids, boy's club, scouts, Vets, or any number of other great groups out there looking for people to inspire their members. Heck, what about some older folks who may not be able to do it on their own budget? As long as there is some fire smoldering in you, don't walk away. You could find you wish you hadn't but feel too down to jump back into building when you have to start from scratch.
It's just my opinion, but as I said, I've walked that same path in the past. Worst case, entrust it to someone who you know will return it when you get the itch and need it scratched. If you're ever in CNY, you're welcome here for a BBQ, visit,fishing, or anything else we can offer. All the best.
Ray

Posted by: Steve Zayas (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2011 08:10PM

I dont know you but I look at your work as a inspiration,not too many people have a mind like you and are able to put it into something that makes people wanna get better.I dont know what made you loose intrest,but you seem like the competive type,mabye a challenge of some sort?I would not get rid of your tools just yet you never know whats around the corner.mabe a few of us nerbs can build a rod and give it so some kid who is less lucky in life,that might spark the feeling again. I would say if you can out drink me in stoli you can quit rodbuilding but thats not fair lol.

Date: March 10, 2011 08:12PM

Thanks Ray..great input, and I followed your sales when you must have been in a similar dilema

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2011 08:24PM

Creativity can be a blessing and a curse. It flows on uncharted tides defying logic and anything resembling order.

The most helpful thing I have learned for harnessing its power is to simply flow with it.

Accept it on its own terms.

When the energy is not present .. I take a step back.

I never know where the next inspiration will come from.

I no longer think of the no-creative times as being blockages.. but rather, rest time.

Time for my battery to be recharged. Similar to a dry spell in weather.. I never know what will spark the next round of creative energy..

But I have found that I can aid the process (or at least not impede it ) by maintaining a positive expectation .. or sense of wonder... as I wait to see what will trigger the next resurgence of creativity.

For me this process has applied to all creative activities in my life. . . from painting to writing.. to making music.. to rod building.. etc.

We are each unique and yet there are often patterns in life which are common to us all.

I strongly suggest keeping your tools and materials.

My hope is that this exceptionally low tide is but the precursor of a Tsnunami of revolutionary work on the way.

Your work is truly exceptional. I think your frustration may be a sign of boredom with the familiar.

Your rod building skills are at a very high level. It may be that your mind is no longer stimulated by doing the same type of work.

To me this is a good sign. As an art teacher of mine would say.. there can be no invention without dissatisfaction.

Frustration is the root of action.

I would suggest putting yourself on a forced sabbatical.. with the intent of letting your mind fly in any direction it chooses to take you.

Feed it by exposing yourself to art works and types which you have never seen before.. or any which you always admired.. but which you have not studied in a long time.

Reward yourself with time spent listening to music, looking at art, taking walks in new places.

New ideas come from new information.

Feed your mind good imagery and it will do the rest.

Negative thoughts are our enemies.

We have an internal censor which is always telling us what is possible and what is not.

Creative freedom can only soar to the extent we can avoid those limiting thoughts.

How creative are you willing to allow yourself to be?

The book that helped me most in this area is:

THE ARTIST'S WAY by Julia Cameron

It's a workbook to help people unlock the creative mind.

I wish you well and happy to help in any way I can.

Dave Gilberg

Date: March 10, 2011 08:25PM

Steve, I aint even going to attempt to out drink you in stoli,,,,strickly because you got an attitude I aint gonna mess with (and mad thread skillz) lol.

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2011 08:26PM

Mike I agree with Billy and Steve. Im 13 but happy to say that I am not underprivileged. I just started rod building 5 months ago because of the great group of people Billy and yourself assembled. Think of it that you already did something. Even if it doesn't satisfy you, keep your stuff. The bug will strike again, and plus your work is awesome.

Gabe

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2011 08:32PM

Dave Gilberg....best reply to a serious question EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely TY, MJ

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 10, 2011 08:40PM

It'll come back, Mike! Step back and take a NERB'S fishing trip Talent, skill, attitude and imagination like yours doesn't come along very often and it gives us all something to shoot for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster