I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
SC III / SCII
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 10, 2011 12:42PM

Would there be much of a difference between A St Croix SC III and SC II - 6' 2piece same lure weight and line weight. Butt size Fast action One has a 4 tip the III and the other a 4.5 tip the II Then price

Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SC III / SCII
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 10, 2011 01:09PM

Bill,

you cant go wrong with the III

DR

Date: March 10, 2011 01:18PM

Would any one have numbers on the SC III 3S60ULF-2 I know they are listed as fast - ERN AA

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2011 01:27PM

Bill,
Most of the St. Croix blanks are very good and make excellent rods.
As you go from SCII on up the line, the the blanks tend to have thinner walls due to the use of different graphite so the weight of the rod tends to get lighter. Also, depending on the blank the action of the blanks tend to get "crisper"

I have built both of these rods, and depending on what you want will do an excellent job.

In this years lineup, St. Croix has some out with some models that have either gone to a finer and faster tip or a bit lighter weight due to the use of some of the new resins being employed.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2011 01:29PM

Bill the SC III is going to be a bit lighter and faster ("stiffer")
the SC II, if you will, is IM6 comparable, the SC III more like IM7.

For durability the SC II gets the nod.

Date: March 10, 2011 01:58PM

If I can not get numbers on them I may have to get both an play with them and see. Made into a spin / fly and adding a foot of handle and seat to it brings it to 7' And may - tend - to make it a tad faster.
Had two IM7 SCIV 9 footers a 5 and 7 wt flys The 5 I used a 6 line and they were nice But shorter are hard to get the same - feel -

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2011 02:23PM by bill boettcher.

Date: March 10, 2011 03:27PM

Bill,
If you want a really fast blank, pick up the SCIII 6'10" m-l casting blank. This is an incredibly fast blank that has a nice touch.
This particular blank is one of the fastest blanks in the entire St. Croix blank line up.

This blank may have a bit more power than you want, but it is a very sensitive blank with a great tip action.

I have built several rods on this blank, both casting, as well as spinning and the blankd does a great job of fishing a large variety of lure and jig weights.
Roger

Rod Building | Blanks | Accessories | Handle Kits | Guide Size & Spacing Chart | Traveler Rod Cases
Select a Blank: ----------------------------Fly----------------------------SCV GRAPHITE FRESHWATER FLY BLANKS (GLOSS GALLATIN GREEN FINISH)SCV GRAPHITE SALTWATER FLY BLANKS (GLOSS BELIZE BLUE FINISH)SCIV / SCII GRAPHITE FLY BLANKS (GLOSS BURGUNDY FINISH)SCIV / SCII GRAPHITE FLY BLANKS (FUCHSIA METALLIC FINISH)SCIII GRAPHITE FLY BLANKS (GLOSS CANTEEN GREEN PEARL FINISH)SCII GRAPHITE FLY BLANKS (SATIN BLACK FINISH)----------------------------Freshwater----------------------------SCV GRAPHITE SPINNING BLANKS (GLOSS FOREST GREEN PEARL FINISH)SCV GRAPHITE CASTING BLANKS (GLOSS FOREST GREEN PEARL FINISH)SCV SALMON/STEELHEAD BLANKS (GLOSS FOREST GREEN PEARL FINISH)SCV GRAPHITE SPINNING BLANKS (GLOSS BLUE/GREEN FLIP FINISH)SCV GRAPHITE CASTING BLANKS (GLOSS BLUE/GREEN FLIP FINISH)SCIV GRAPHITE SPINNING BLANKS (GLOSS COBALT BLUE PEARL FINISH)SCIV GRAPHITE CASTING BLANKS (GLOSS COBALT BLUE PEARL FINISH)SCIV GRAPHITE MUSKY BLANKS (GLOSS COBALT BLUE PEARL FINISH)SCIII GRAPHITE SPINNING BLANKS (CARBON PEARL FINISH)SCIII GRAPHITE CASTING BLANKS (CARBON PEARL FINISH)SCIII GRAPHITE SALMON/STEELHEAD BLANKS (CARBON PEARL FINISH)SCIII GRAPHITE SPINNING BLANKS (FUCHSIA METALLIC FINISH)SCIII GRAPHITE CASTING BLANKS (FUCHSIA METALLIC FINISH)SCII GRAPHITE SPINNING BLANKS (GLOSS BLACK PEARL FINISH)SCII GRAPHITE CASTING BLANKS (GLOSS BLACK PEARL FINISH)SCII GRAPHITE MUSKY/SALTWATER BLANKS (GLOSS BLACK PEARL FINISH)SCII GRAPHITE SALMON/STEELHEAD BLANKS (SATIN BLACK FINISH)----------------------------Saltwater----------------------------SCIV GRAPHITE INSHORE SALTWATER BLANKS (GLOSS BELIZE BLUE FINISH)SCIII GRAPHITE INSHORE SALTWATER BLANKS (COPPER PEARL FINISH)SCII GRAPHITE INSHORE SALTWATER BLANKS (GLOSS GREEN FINISH)SCII GRAPHITE INSHORE SALTWATER TRAVEL BLANKS (GLOSS GREEN FINISH)SCIV GRAPHITE SURF BLANKS (BELIZE BLUE / 1PC or BELIZE BLUE/SATIN CARBON FINISH / 2PC)SCII / SCIIW GRAPHITE SURF BLANKS (SATIN BLACK FINISH)----------------------------Crankbait & Trolling----------------------------SCI GLASS CRANKBAIT & TROLLING BLANKS (GLOSS BLACK PEARL FINISH)----------------------------Ice----------------------------SOLID CARBON ICE BLANKS (MATTE GRAY FINISH) SCIII GRAPHITE CASTING BLANKS (FUCHSIA METALLIC FINISH)
MODEL TYPE EQUIV MODEL LGTH LINE WT LURE WT PIECES ACTN BUTT DIAM TIP SZ BLANK WT RETAIL
3C66MF-F Bass APC66MF 6'6" 10-17 1/4-5/8 1 FAST 0.510 5.5 1.8 $ 100
3C66MHF-F Bass/Pike/Saltwater APC66MHF 6'6" 12-20 3/8-1 1 FAST 0.530 6.5 2.3 $ 105
3C68MXF-F Bass APC68MXF 6'8" 8-14 1/4-5/8 1 X-FAST 0.520 4.5 2 $ 100
3C70MF-F Bass APC70MF 7' 10-17 1/4-5/8 1 FAST 0.520 5.5 2 $ 105

home | products | why st. croix | dealer locator | service & warranty | resources | contact us | shop | privacy policy Copyright © 2010 St. Croix Rods. All rights reserved. | SITE DESIGN BY Campbell Lacoste, Inc.

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2011 05:47PM

First off hello to everyone, this is my first post. just registered

Roger,
I'm assuming you are talking about the 3S/C69MLXF. If so, Have you built 1 on the newer blanks w/ IPC as well as the pre ipc SCIII. Reason I ask is your commment on how fast these are. I have built a few rods on these. 2 pre IPC blanks and 1 newer 1 w/ IPC. The older blanks were way stiffer/faster and I really liked these for a variety of finesse plastics. The newer one has a much more whippy tip and loads kinda funny. I would still consider it an XF rod but the tip section is really soft.

Matt

OP, I'd take the SCIII every day of the week over the SCII.

Date: March 10, 2011 06:11PM

Welcome Matt Enjoy A lot of info to be found here.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 10, 2011 07:45PM

Matt,
I am currently building some 2011 SCV blanks.
They have wonderfully crisp actions and certainly don't have a whippy tip.

Roger

Date: March 10, 2011 08:22PM

Roger,
I just started 2 SCV blanks too. A 66MLF and 610MXF. Yes they do have a crisper feel to them . I LIKE IT!!! I have/had XC 69MLXF, AVC68MXF, and LEC68MXF as well and It's weird, the 1 Avid XF that I mentioned is the only 1 that has that type of tip. All the other Croix XF rods I own are as you described, very very fast tips.

Date: March 10, 2011 08:22PM

thanks for the welcome Bill!

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: March 11, 2011 05:00AM

Bill i have that blank built up at home. I will try to get some numbers for you in the morning and post them up.

Date: March 11, 2011 09:22AM

Thanks Phil

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Brenner (---.sfo.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 11, 2011 11:27AM

ok here you go. The 3S60ULF2 is 43cents or 5.35 ern and AA of 65. And in case it helps you in your search i also measured my 3S66ULF2 it was 50cents or 6.35 ern and AA of 68

Date: March 11, 2011 03:12PM

Thank you Phil
The AA is nice but the ELN is a little high for what I was looking for
I am surprised cause the lure weight range is 1/32 - 3/16 oz
OK let me pick your brains - if a foot is added to the butt of either of these would the ELN go down any ?

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: March 12, 2011 04:45AM

Im no expert, and have just recently been paying attention to the measurements, but No eln would go up. It is going to take more weight to deflect the blank the extra distance to get to 1/3 of the new length. The way im lookin at it is any extension you add is going to be for the most part ridgid. Say you add a foot from another blank under the handle section and glue the 3S60 inside the end of it. Most of all the flexing is still going to be happening in that 6 foot of the original blank.

Date: March 12, 2011 10:10AM

The numbers tell me they would be nice for a 5 and 6 line depending on distance.
I was looking for around 3.00
O well back to looking

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.73.28.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: March 12, 2011 02:07PM

Bill,
If you extend the rod with a stronger butt section the ERN will increase because added deflection will need to be added to the rod.
If you extend the rod with a weaker butt section the ERN will decrease due to greater deflection of the butt extension at the existing load.
Adding a weaker butt section will allow the use of a lighter line for casting, but the resulting drop in rod frequency will likely make for a rod that will not fish as well.

Eugene Moore

Date: March 12, 2011 04:55PM

I was also looking at Phenix blanks The light series

Bill - willierods.com

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster