I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Peel-N-Stick Decal Over Epoxy Questions
Posted by: Adam Fisher (---.102.137.28.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 09, 2011 06:59PM

I'm working on a flat black blank. Because the finish is flat I applied a base coat of epoxy before I applied the decal (I'm using LS Supreme and a adhesive backed custom logo decal from Mud Hole). I let the epoxy set up for about 22 hours before applying the decal. With in minutes of putting on the next coat of epoxy the edges lifted. I've never had this happen when I applied the decal directly to the blank.

My first question is, How long should I let the epoxy set up before I apply the decal and how long should I let the decal set before the next coat of epoxy?

While I'm at it, my next blank is a MHX blank, should I apply the included decal over a base coat of epoxy or would it work directly on the blank?

Thanks for any help,

Adam

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Peel-N-Stick Decal Over Epoxy Questions
Posted by: Milt deReyna (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2011 07:27PM

I use MHX blanks all the time, and have had no problem whatsoever with direct application of peel-n-stick decals. However, I don't see you mention color preserver. After applying decals to the bare blank, I always put a coat of CP over the decal and let it dry before applying epoxy finish. I've never had the edges lift with this method.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 09, 2011 07:51PM

I also always apply the decals over a coat of epoxy (cured overnight) and have applied a second coat of epoxy immediately after applying the decal. I have nevi had the edges lift and I do not use CP. I do only use Decal Connection decals.

Posted by: Adam Fisher (---.102.137.28.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 09, 2011 08:06PM

I didn't use CP I'll give it a try next time. Who knows maybe it was a freak thing. It's been one of those days.

Adam

Posted by: Mike Winkler (---.new.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2011 09:04PM

Did you use heat? If so it may have aided in the lifting of the decal. If it happens again spiral wrap thread around the decal, probably 6 or 7 wraps over the whole length of the decal. Keep an eye on the epoxy. As the prior to the epoxy curing remove the thread. You will have to put a second coat of epoxy over the decal but you will never be able to tell. It prevents trashing the whole thing. Good luck!

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2011 11:07PM

I'm just like Phil Ericson Decal Connection is my decal of choice. Just place another order!

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2011 11:12PM

I've built on an MHX blank also.
I applied the decal directly to the blank and let it sit over night.
I only let it sit because I didn't have time to do the finish.
I applied the epoxy finish directly over the label the next day with no problems..

(I do not use any solvent or alcohol in that area to clean the blank, just water)

Make sure you do not touch or handle the label with your fingers !!!
I only use tweezers when handling / applying them.
After it's applied it's OK to rub the top of the label, but don't touch
the adhesive at all when applying.
If you handle even the corner with your fingers I find it will lift.
I use the same method for all adhesive labels whether MHX, St. Croix, etc.

Posted by: Owen Spalding (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: March 10, 2011 04:06AM

Hi Adam, I have tried dozens of ways to put text, pictures, decals, etc etc on blanks and as far as i know it lifted because the material that it is printed on has a "memory" the decal wants to go back flat all the time.. i read that wrapping over the decal and letting it stay for a day or more can help a great deal, but no need to have another worry while doing blanks..if it is a proper decal from an outlet, send it back.....

Posted by: Adam Fisher (208.251.203.---)
Date: March 10, 2011 07:12AM

Thanks for all the replies. This forum is great. I'm going to try it again in a few hours, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 10, 2011 11:56AM

This may help Near the bottom applying decals [www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 10, 2011 01:14PM

Apply decal to whatever you like, epoxy or bare blank. Spray lightly 2-4 coats of krylon fixatif over the decal and it's edges, let sit until fixatif is dry-not long. Never worry about decals again!

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster