I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Easy jobs are hard
Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2011 03:32PM

I have often thought,"if engineers had to work on what they design, (or if I was smarter) It would be a nicer world."
I purchased an up graded chuck for my Pac Bay wrapper. What a pain to get to the front two bolts. I have to use needle nose pliers to grab the bolt head. Even at that I can only turn it about a 1/64 of a turn. and I can`t get to the hex nut at all.

Oh well, I guess I`ll get over it. Sorry if I offended any engineers on this board. Being rod builders I`m sure you know better than to do that.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Easy jobs are hard
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 09, 2011 03:51PM

I was luckier - I have ratcheting box wrenches from Sears that helped a bunch

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 09, 2011 04:40PM

Bill, I have a good friend that is an engineer and I give him an earful all the time. What are friends for?

jeremy

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2011 04:41PM

Bill
I HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM WITH THE EXACT SAME THING! YOUR ARE NOT ALONE HERE BUD! I GOT MINE LAST WEEK AND WAS A PAIN TO PUT TOGETHER. the power wrapper is great besides that.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 09, 2011 04:45PM

lol. computer programmers have the same problem

Posted by: Chris Kettler (12.199.184.---)
Date: March 09, 2011 06:35PM

I'm an Industrial Maintenance Technician and we have a saying about engineers...
College Education to screw it up- high school education to fix it. :-)

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.gtwy.uscourts.gov)
Date: March 09, 2011 07:41PM

Ken I have a set also, the problem being they are not off set and I can not get up underneath to the hex nut.

Tomorrow I will take it into the shop with me, The acetylene torches should do it. aaaaaarrrrrggg!!!!

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Ron Weber (12.70.3.---)
Date: March 09, 2011 10:45PM

Another problem is that the thread carriage hits it if you are trying to wrap close to the chuck..

Ron Weber

Posted by: Kern Davis (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 09, 2011 11:09PM

Guess i'm lucky, my pacbay wrapper came with wing nuts and .5 in. long 10/24's. Used a flat head screwdriver wegded under the wingnut and tighted screw with phillips head on the outside of the wrapping bed. Purchased mine at expo also. What a slight pain in the arse to assemble, wife was being funny asking me 'ABOUT THE INSTRUCTION SHEET" did i read it??? She was funny.

Kern Davis, Lady Lake Fl.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: March 10, 2011 09:16AM

I am an engineer and I don’t get offended, but I suspect I know why you are seeing the problems you are, the key words are “upgrade chuck”. Anytime you have to design a new part to fit into place on an existing assembly your choices can be very limited. It is a lot easier to design all parts from a clean slate, then you have control of everything and can make much better choices about things like bolt access.

Almost all engineering decisions are based on good sound reasons AT THE TIME THEY ARE MADE, whether they end up being good decisions at the end of the process is another story. A great example is the turbos in the new Ford F150 EcoBoost. When we started that program 3 years ago they had ideas of putting that engine in as many as 9 different vehicles, which meant we had to package around the other parts of all of them. That left us with a very confined space for the turbos and we made some very radical design choices with parts like the compressor recirc valve. Turns out there were good reasons why nobody had designed a compressor recirc valve the way we did, and we had to do a huge amount of work to get the NVH levels where we needed them. The upside for us is that now we have much more knowledge of how those parts work and can improve future turbo designs. Now that it is going into production they are only offering that engine in the pickup which has all the room in the world for turbos and everyone wonders why we didn’t just do a simple design that we knew works great. Sadly once you get locked into a design it can be hard to get back out even when the underlying reasons change.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: March 10, 2011 10:36AM

Sorry Mike, I really don`t have anything against engineers, Sometimes my remarks are to cover up for my own clumisness and other reasons. The problem was really in the original equipment, trying to get the original chuck off . The hex for the bolt is up against the upright of the chuck so I could only turn it by using an open end wrench on its tip and place it over the hex head. The only way I could turn the wrench was to take an adjustable wrench to the body of the open end wrench and turn it while trying to hold the nut under neath where I had trouble reaching, (partially due to a little arthritic fingers). The new chuck went on very slick and that was due to engineering changes.

I do understand alot of problems are from design changes and must be dealt with as swifly as possible with out breaking the budget.

I just had to vent.

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: March 10, 2011 10:40AM

Interesting, I wonder what drove them to make the original chuck so hard to work with?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2011 03:32PM

Mike,
Cost,
The original chuck is a much much much less expensive design than the new improved chuck.

The original chuck is just pieces of stanped sheet metal with virtually no tolerances.
The new chuck is nicely machined with nice tolerances.

Roger

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 10, 2011 04:37PM

Totally off topic but my day job entails me to deal with engineers of boiler & steam plants. I gringe every time one says, " But in school we learned that......"
I personally think before you get your degree and can get a job in your chosen engineering field, you must first spend at least a year using what you are intending to design. That way, you learn first hand that the book deals with perfect circumstances and not the real world.

Sorry.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster