I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MHX blank suggestion
Posted by: Nathan Parker (---.tu.ok.cox.net)
Date: March 08, 2011 10:10PM

Well, I was going to buy one of those Ray Scott Sporttackle rods, when they went on sale for cheap, because I really love light tackle bassin'. Unfortunately, they are sold out. On the other hand, I have all the necessary tools to build myself one just like it. However, I have never handled one, so I have no idea where to start in terms of blank, guides, etc. I know they used very small guides, but I know nothing about the blank action. Anyone handled one? Is it like a light action? Ultra light? Fast? Extra fast? I'm hoping to use an MHX blank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MHX blank suggestion
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2011 07:38AM

i am not familiar with the rods you are referring to..why not decide what you want(lure, length, action, etc) to do, then build a rod for your particular style and application? once you determine what you intend to do then you can pick the components...the guys at mudhole can direct you to the proper blank and components once you know what type of rod you want to build....at least my idea of a custom rod is to make a better fishing tool and not to copy what someone else has done...i think you will be happier with the final result...or atleast figure out you want to build 5 more for other applications..

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2011 08:15AM

Nathan,

Based on the description from his website discussing the rods, the closest thing sounds like an S781 or S841. If you want to go really light, look a one the Batson 840 popping blanks. Unless you are just tossing tiny crappie jigs and little inline spinners, I would want something with a little more power, especially for unweighted bass sized plastics and such. I would look at an SJ781 or SJ841. The spin jig blanks offer a bit more power, but still cast light weights very well. I like throwing little stuff on pretty light line, but the 1 power spin jig is about the lowest power I feel comfortable using for bass, and even that it is pushing the envelope a bit in my opinion.

Joe

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.sip.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 09, 2011 08:42AM

I'd bet the S781 would be right upour alley.

Posted by: Gary Gillett (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2011 08:51AM

Matthew hit the nail on the head. The S781 would be a great blank for that application.

Posted by: Nathan Parker (---.hollandhall.org)
Date: March 09, 2011 11:11AM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll look at those blanks. In response to John, and in further request to all the rest, what I want to end up with is a rod that can throw very light jigworms/tubes/grubs (1/32 or 1/16 oz. head plus plastic), weightless plastics like 3"/4" senkos and floating worms, and small (1/8 and 3/16 oz.) crankbaits and topwaters. I want the final product to be able to set the hook through plastic (texposed) with 4lb. test line, safely play a large (up to 6-7 lb.) fish on 4lb. line, and the final rod should weight less than 2.5 oz. Any further suggestions based on these parameters would be appreciated. Please suggest guides, as well. I'm going to use a split graphite tennessee handle.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (131.123.18.---)
Date: March 09, 2011 12:36PM

> weightless plastics like 3"/4" senkos
> and floating worms, I want the final
> product to be able to set the hook through plastic
> (texposed) with 4lb. test line, safely play a
> large (up to 6-7 lb.) fish on 4lb. line

This is where my recommendation of the SJ blank comes in. I've learned this he hard way, that bigger bass have pretty bony mouths. You need at a little power to set the hook, unless you relegate yourself to fishing circle hooks. The 1 power SJ (Batson ISJ781 built as a casting rod for throwing small weightless plastics on 6lb. mono), is right on the edge of being able to set the hook in larger fish when using Texposed plastics. Doing this with 4lb. mono requires even more care during the hook set. Once you get the fish away from its piece of cover, you won't have problem playing the fish with any rod, if you have a little patience.

>the final rod should weight less than 2.5 oz. Any
> further suggestions based on these parameters
> would be appreciated. Please suggest guides, as
> well. I'm going to use a split graphite tennessee
> handle.

The MHX SJ781 built as described with Batson H ring guides and micro runners should put you right at 2.5oz. Building around a Quantum size 10 spinning reel, I use a 20 Y frame (16 M frame)
10 Y frame (8 M frame), 5mm fly, and 3mm running guides to a 4mm to 6mm braced tip top. You can save a bit of weight using the higher M frame guides, and even a bit more by using Pac Bay Minima guides in the M frame and and fly frame fro runners.

Joe

Posted by: Gary Gillett (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2011 01:37PM

With the extended information you have provided, I would also suggest the SJ781 because of the needed hook driving power.

Also take a look at the DS821 and DS820. Between the 3 of those blanks you should find something that suits you very well.

Date: March 09, 2011 04:18PM

Joe-- I apologize for my ignorance, but I'm pretty new to this (3rd rod). What do you mean by M frame vs. Y frame? I am planning to use pac bay minima guides mixed with fuji micros.

Gary-- The SJ rod is quite a bit less expensive than the DS models, so I'll probably go with it. Plus I prefer a fast vs. xf taper for fighting fish on light line.

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: March 09, 2011 08:01PM

M or match frame guides are super tall which allow you to use a smaller ring while still getting the height you need for a spinning rod. Y frame guides are conventional high frame spinning guides like a Fuji BYAG or similar guides from all manufacturers.

If you plan to use Minima guides you definitely want to use the M frame guides for the first few. I also wouldn’t mess with combining Minima’s and ceramic ring micro guides, the lightest microguides are lighter than the #4 Minima fly guides but the difference is very small and not worth the bother. Where you do want to use something besides the Minima is the tip, PacBay has a really nice Minima tip in the works that they were showing at the show, but it wont be available for some time. The best tip I have been able to find to work with the #4 Minima guides is the chrome American Tackle Nanolite micro tip NCRLMT. Make sure you get the Nanolite not the Duralite version of this tip since the ring is much thinner and the ID is larger, close to the ID of the Minima’s. I just did a dropshot rod using this exact setup, #12 and #6 M frame Minima, then 6 #4 fly Minima, and the American Tackle tip. It ended up way less than 2.5oz when I was finished.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2011 08:50PM

Nathan,

Sorry for not being more clear. Mike summed it up very well, and will always steer you in the right direction.

Joe

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: March 10, 2011 04:29AM

Actually The braced minima tips with the 4mm rings are available now, i just used one on a rod i finished up this week. I was able to order them from utmost enterprises. the chrome part number is XFM4XT04- (tube size) They match the guides perfectly in appearance and height.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: March 10, 2011 08:44AM

Good to know, now if the mythical 3’s would just show up……….

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2011 01:42PM

Nathan,
I built Ray the first 12 prototypes of this series when I was still with Lamiglas. These were the rods that he tested then took to a manufacturer to have duplicated. Those original rods were built on LSJ781's which were in the XMG Spin & Jig lineup. The blank was rated by lamiglas for 6-10 lb. line and 1/16 - 5/16 oz. lures.

I'm thinking DS820-Blend
DS820-Blend 6'10" 4-8 1/32 - 3/16 MF LIGHT

[www.mudhole.com]

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2011 02:46PM by Todd Vivian.

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2011 05:55PM

I have the MHX SJ781 and the S782. For what you're looking for I'd also reccomend the SJ781. The S782 that I have is a reaally lite rod, no backbone at all( I got it for small creek fishing). So I can't see the the lighter S781 working for your intended techniques.

Matt

Date: March 11, 2011 12:36PM

> I'm thinking DS820-Blend
> DS820-Blend 6'10" 4-8 1/32 - 3/16 MF
> LIGHT
>

Thanks for the insight from the original! Given that the originals were built on a 1 power spin jig blank, can you give me some insight as to why you would suggest this dropshot blank in place of a spin jig? Just curious. I haven't ordered anything yet, so I'm not committed either way.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2011 04:34PM

The Lamiglas Spin Jig blank is lighter overall, in the tip and butt than the SJ781 MHX. Thus the reason Gary Gillett suggested the DS820 or DS821.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster