I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drying Motors
Posted by: David McCoy (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 07, 2011 04:13PM

Greetings everyone. I am new to rod building and this forum so please understand when I ask rookie questions.

I have made two long cast surf rods so far with good results thanks to a friends advice. We both are using BBQ rotisserie motors for drying. These motors turn painfully slow. I was looking into buying a motor but I have found them from 6 RPM to 40 RPM. What are the pros and cons of a faster motor? Are they used for different epoxy types or rod sizes; or is it personal preference? Your advice is appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drying Motors
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: March 07, 2011 04:31PM

Rotisserie motors make good drying motors with the exception of being noisy. I have about 4 of them that I have scarfed up but never made a drying motor from them. I think they turn 6 rpm. I use a 4 rpm for drying. Most builders use a 4 to 16 rpm with the most common being 4 or 6 rpm I think. If it turns too fast the finish could bunch up in the middle of the wrap and be "football" shaped. I don't think the epoxy/ finish type makes any difference. I would stick with 4 to 6 rpm motors, that is plenty fast for drying.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2011 04:40PM

My slowest dryer is 11 rpm and it seems to work fine. I have an 18 rpm that is nice for application and doubles as an epoxy mixer. I set it up on an angle for mixing, works great.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2011 04:56PM

David,
All of my drying motors turn between 6 and 10 rpm.
I use my power wrapper to apply the finish at speeds of 0 - 150 rpm. After the finish is thinned and leveled, I transfer it to the slow turning drying rack for overnight drying.

You might check out one of these nice QUIET 12 volt dc gear motors. for example the one that turns 6-10 rpm at 12 volts.

Then, just pick up an inexpensive 1 amp plug in dc power supply for a couple of $$ and you have a very good long lasting drying motor.

[www.sciplus.com]

Roger

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2011 05:03PM

David Mc Coy unhide your Email info for information

Sorry!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2011 05:58PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Date: March 07, 2011 05:39PM

My e-mail isn't hidden, I just checked.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: March 07, 2011 05:40PM

Must be the other David.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Daryl Norvell (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 07, 2011 06:23PM

This site usually has a good gear motor selection.
I just looked and they don't presently have any applicable AC motors.

[www.mpja.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2011 06:29PM by Daryl Norvell.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 07, 2011 06:24PM

My favorite is 2/3 rpm

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2011 06:39PM

Dave, the one thing great about BBQ motors is the torque. I built a 6 rod dryer with one rotesserie by daisy chaining them with pullies. It worked great for many years. I finally sold it about 6-7 years ago and from what I understand it is still going strong. The reason I sold it was lack of space. I have a 4 rod PB dryer now and it turns at 11rpm's. The BBQ motor I had turned about 6-7 rpm's.

Tight lines,

John Hernandez

Date: March 07, 2011 07:05PM

I guess my drying motor isn't so bad after all. I was trying to lay the brush on the wrap to and wait for the motor to turn to get the edges of the epoxy even. I think I am putting it on to heavy as well. My first rod i used Thread Master high build. That only required one coat however I had more bubble issues. The second I used ProKote. I know I was putting that on too heavy. A drip would form on the wrap and I had to get it off with the brush. I am also trying to cover a wider area that I have a decal on. I have some unevenness and sagging. I am not known for my patience, this hobby is turning out to be a good exercise for that. LOL

Thank you all for your help.

I adjusted my settings to show my e-mail.

Date: March 07, 2011 09:20PM

David,
It really does work better if you can use a faster motor for applying the finish. As I said earlier, if you happen to have a power wrapper, you can use the wrapper at a higher speed for finish application.

If you don't you can pick up a 50 rpm motor or so, for finish application. Then use a foot pedal to turn the motor on and off as needed, or you can use one of the flex coat clutches or similar to slow and or stop the rod as needed when applying finish.

The faster speed takes care of your issue about getting a straight edge. If the rod is turning quickly, it is very easy to have a nice even edge on the finish.

Take care
Roger

Date: March 07, 2011 09:43PM

David,
Here is an example of the flexcoat fw200 finish application system.
This unit uses a 200 rpm motor with a slip clutch on the chuck to be able to slow and or stop the rod any time that you are applying finish:

[www.shofftackle.com]

But, as I posted earlier, if you have a power wrapper, you can do exactly the same thing at the same or better speed with no added cost.

Roger

Posted by: Dale Holmes (---.lns4.dav.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 08, 2011 02:07AM

I'm only a beginner rod builder, having built three rods so far.

I use a 5 rpm motor that I salvaged from an old microwave oven (that is the speed that the turntable turns at!)
I wrap by hand, and I use this motor for both applying the epoxy and for drying. I've been extremely happy with the results so far.

I am interested to hear Roger's comment that a faster speed would make it easier to form a straight edge - I think that this would most definately be the case.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: March 08, 2011 04:36AM

I use Tom's method for applying finish Then I give it a fast spin on my power wrapper, then transfer the rod to one of 6 dryer motors I have One Batson, one PacBay and 4 rotisserie. The rotisserie motors all have differnt speeds extra slow and fast. Once the rod is ready for the dryer I don't care what their speed is, as long as they turn. You can get a great finish if you want to hand turn it if you like

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: March 08, 2011 12:59PM

I apply by hand with the rod on a set of stands I made with floor casters epoxied to some scrap wood. When I finsih I remove one of the stands and replace it iwth a motor I got out of my mom's broken microwave (3-4 RPM) with a PVC chuck. I would venture to guess I have less than $7.00 wrapped in the whole set up. I do have a new 13 RPM motor from one of the sponcers to replace this one when it dies. For now it works great. The only thing I am adding is a timer. I finish most the rods at night and spin it all night. If I set the timer for like 6-8 hours then I can avoid getting up to unplug it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 08, 2011 01:29PM

My dryer is set up with a 40 rpm motor. I also have two different pulleys on the motor and chucks. This way I can change the speed and coat fast, then change to slow for drying.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 08, 2011 03:25PM

I see I came to the right place for help. Thank you all very much. I think I'm going to get a faster motor maybe 24 RPM's for application and then switch it to the trusty rusty BBQ motor for a slow turn. Perhaps later I will get pulleys and multiple dryers but for now I'm going to keep it simple. I have allot of rods now and I have an excuse for at least 3 more. After that I'm going to have to learn to fly fish! That ought to be a good excuse to build more.

Thanks again

Posted by: Gene Rehberg (---.dhcp.eucl.wi.charter.com)
Date: March 08, 2011 06:16PM

I have been using a rotisserie motor for over 10 years with good results. I have an eight rod setup on a length of conduit and two 10 inch discs with notches for the rods, works fine. Rods are held on with velcro. Good luck, Gene

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster