I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Best wrap finish?
Posted by: Steve Harding (---.emkc.com)
Date: March 07, 2011 03:34PM

I'm finishing up my 1st rod, and I used Flex Coat High Build on on the wraps. Seemed to work OK.

2nd rod soon, thought I'd see what others have been using. One problem I have is that I have no dryer, and turn the rod myself. The less time I have to spend doing that, the better; so a faster setup time would be good.

Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best wrap finish?
Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: March 07, 2011 03:53PM

Man are you getting ready to get some answers! Personally it is ThreadMaster!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 07, 2011 04:00PM

I really like Thread master Just me ??? I am also going to try there Chroma-seal . I like what Scott told me of it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 07, 2011 04:04PM

I'm really liking the Pro Kote from Mudhole. But you just about can't go wrong with any of them.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 07, 2011 04:06PM

If you're specifically looking for a quicker set time, then Flex Coat probably sets about as fast as any of them. The old GlassCoat set very fast, but I don't believe it's been marketed in several years now.

Posted by: Tony Spinelli (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2011 04:19PM

I have been using Threadmaster Lite with good sucess. Only problem is it takes quite a while to dry espically in cooler work shops and I have to use 3 sometimes 4 coats. That would be a problem in your case"no dryer". I tried the new Pro Kote from mud hole. Check out the post. Best advice I can give you is for you to order a dryer the sooner the better.

Posted by: Richard Steiner (32.179.197.---)
Date: March 07, 2011 04:19PM

Steve, I suggest getting a dryer. If price is a concern, then build one. There are many pictures of home-made equipment in the photos section. --jerome

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 07, 2011 04:22PM

Or make your own You can find many photos on the photo page on home made unites

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 07, 2011 06:39PM

Threadmaster and Pro-Kote

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2011 07:41PM

Flex Coat Lite. Easy to mix and no bubbles.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 07, 2011 07:58PM

Many fine products out there these days. I personally use AftCote and like the pot life it gives me, basically bubble free and looks good on white blanks.

Fine rod builders go to great lengths it install a perfect finish. We are proud of the products we craft.

Well one fine day as I am stepping thru the party boat entry I spot a rod that was crafted by me right there. I had wanted to fish next to the entry. However, I immediately walked to the other side of the boat. Why? I did not want to be near that rod. Why? It looked like it was hard fished and had never seen a wash up. You should have seen all the crude that covered it.

Moral of the story. When you sell an item or give it away NEVER look back! It now belongs to some one else.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2011 09:07PM

I agree with Mark. I use Threadmaster for Dec Wraps, and Pro Kote for guide wraps. I have tried mixing the two together ( 1 CC of each Hardener and Resin in a shot glass) stir into a froth, apply onto the rod with a power wrapper. Put it on the drying motor, and then hit it with the alcohol burner. Soon to get a butane torch.

Posted by: Steve Harding (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2011 09:34PM

Thanks for all the input. I think that I'd better start scrounging for parts for a dryer.

Steve

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 07, 2011 09:41PM

Scrounge enough parts for more than one - because you will eventually use them (and more) LOL

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: March 07, 2011 10:29PM

I am a Flexcoat fan. However, almost without exception, all of the finishes on the market will produce more than acceptable results with practice. You don't need a dryer at all ... in fact, you will get better results without one. Motorized dryers offer speed and convenience - that's all.

Here's a link to an article that will help ... [www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2011 10:30PM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Cheng Moua (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2011 11:36PM

prokote is nice but it takes a bit of time to setup.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: March 08, 2011 04:58AM

Capt. Neil You are so right!!! How is the East Coast You gotta come back to WA. It has been a few years sense we had a cold one

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 08, 2011 07:45AM

Capt Neil Faulkner Wrote:

> Moral of the story. When you sell an item or give
> it away NEVER look back! It now belongs to some
> one else.

Amen!

Choosing Fuji Alconite Guides for 5'9" to 6'0" spinning rods
Posted by: Joe Fry (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2011 11:02AM

I fish smallmouths in rivers with short-handled spinning rods ranging in length from 5'9" to 6'0". The spool diameter on my reels is 44 mm. They are spooled with 8# Power Pro line. I want to replace the guides on these rods with Fuji Concept Alconites using the New Guide Concept System. Was thinking about the following guide set: 30-16-10-6-6-6 with a 6 tip, but before ordering them I have two questions for someone with more experience:

1) A 25 mm butt guide would be lighter but my reels have a 44 mm spool diameter. How much would casting distance be impaired if I go with a 25 mm butt guide instead of the larger 30 mm butt guide for reels of this size? Basically, which size of butt guide would you recommend?

2) Does the size selection of the guides mentioned above make sense for 5'9" to 6'0" rods?

Thanks,

Joe

Re: Choosing Fuji Alconite Guides for 5'9" to 6'0" spinning rods
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 08, 2011 11:07AM

I suggest starting a new topic for the most answers. What you suggest will certainly work, as will almost anything, but if you'll follow this the system will tell you what sizes would be best: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Allowing the desired line path to dictate guide sizes and placement is always going to be a little better than if you simply pre-determine guide sizes and placement and then dictate where the line has to go.

You don't need a 30mm butt guide for line that light and supple.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster