I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Curious ??
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2011 08:25PM

I read a recent post advocating a split grip because of a performance difference with a split grip compared to a conventional grip.

i am somewhat at a loss to understand what "performance" is gained by a split grip.

If anyone can tell me, I would certanly be happy to listen.

Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Curious ??
Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2011 08:38PM

By itself, probably very little is gained. As part of an overall theme of weight reduction, it has merit. Save as much weight as possible at each stage of construction, and you end up building the lightest rod possible.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2011 08:55PM

Shaped properly they are more comfy

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2011 09:22PM

Is the weight difference really that much though? I really like the way they look but I've never actually done a weight comparison.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Fred Cory (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2011 09:42PM

They have a definite benefit for the vertical jigging crowd - the blank tucks nicely under your arm much better than with a large grip section.

Posted by: Bob Pratt (12.189.32.---)
Date: March 06, 2011 09:46PM

I don't know about anyone else but for the guys that wade-fish here in the coastal bend area a couple of ounces are something to be considered. The ones I know will pay an extra couple hundred dollars ( not a hundred) to get a Shimano Core 50E reel over the Shimano Curado 50E, the difference in their weight is about 1.4 ounces. Now these guys are the exception not the rule and are extremely serious about chasing specs and reds and spend hours out on the flats and a couple of extra ounces can start to add up. To them, yeah the weight does make a difference. No extras on the rod, if it's not functional then they don't want it. Well built, clean looks, well balanced, lite and functional is what they are looking for, not big on pretty.
Bob

(let's see 1 from 3 = 2 not 1)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2011 01:28AM by Bob Pratt.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2011 09:57PM

Weight difference can be about 30+% and with seats being one of the heaviest components added to a rod, that can be substantial in relation to overall weight on bass type rods. Probably of little significance on heavier type rods

Depending on baits/rods being used, I will hold rods differently. With some rods/techniques my fingers feel cramped with bait casting seats. By spitting the grip and widening the gap, it provides more free space for the fingers. As Billy said; are more comfortable.

It exposes more blank to feel through, without having to travel through different materials before getting to the fingers.

Persons with smaller hands can grip the rod while palming the reel better.
When using larger or round reels, split grips also make it easier to grip things.

Other side of the coin
If used on narrow blanks; in some cases can cause cramping of the fingers, split grips work better with wider blanks.

Person with larger hands may prefer the larger diameter on none split grip seats, same reason some people with larger hands prefer to use none-exposed blank types of handles.

Weight removed from seat can be added back to butt to further move balance point back, without the penalty of adding extra weight to the rod

George Fosters comment is spot on!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2011 10:02PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: March 06, 2011 10:33PM

Don't confuse split grips and split reel seats. I'm seeing a bit of both.

"Advantages of the Split-Grip" - Rodmaker Vol 4, Issue 4, Page 10

- uses less cork - save $
- place for decals, hookkeepers, and for you decorative types - thread wraps
- positions off hand better for two handed casts
- works as a fighting butt
- provides for more casting control when using two hands

The most important is the facilitation of quicker hand positioning on two hand casts. Saves time. Time = Money when tournament bass fishing, which is where the style originated.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2011 11:31PM

Alex
Thanks!
Read grips mind heard seats
Last two comments still apply.
also less material means less dampening of blank's vibrations

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2011 12:42AM

Alex,
Please explain the statement , "the facillitation of quicker hand positioning on two hand casts."

What in the world does the presence of a full back grip on a rod have to do with the positioning of hands on a grip?

I certainly never look at my grips and I certainly don't have any problems to correctly put my hands where I want them on any rod that I use. I just don't understand the statement.

Roger

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 07, 2011 08:25AM

Some ask why -

The best fishermen in the world use them with no questions -

[www.google.com]

Posted by: Bob Caulkins (---.doc.wa.gov)
Date: March 07, 2011 09:36AM

Roger, I think the statement Alex made was something along the lines of positive kinetic feedback. I'll get back to that. I am starting to look at making a split grip, and one of the things I find in looking at them is that the shape does allow for more comfortable hand placement for the reel,

Now about the facilitation statement. On a standard full length grip you can certainly use your second hand to cast without looking. I think the key element for the split though is that your sense of touch will immediately tell you if your bottom hand is not near the bottom of the rod. The grip itself is like a physical refrence to a more correct casting position. It takes approximately 3-5 thousand repetitions for an action to start becoming muscle memory. If there's any varience then it compounds the amount of repetitions necessary. Bottom line is that for a new caster it teaches correct placement, and for the experienced caster it is helpful for honing their skill level.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: March 07, 2011 09:54AM

When you turn the question around and ask why full grips the answer is always the same, I like the way they look.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: March 07, 2011 10:55AM

Nice explanation Bob. I could have never explained it that well.

Roger -

On your earlier post you said "I think that for many folks, this is a Phase that rods are currently going through"

At what point is it no longer considered a phase? That article I mentioned was written 10+ years ago.

I do think you see a decortive emphasis on the split grip right now - shapes, trim rings, etc... there's a difference, and of course some of the decorations deviate from the original functional design. Some I would challenge may improve on the original design.

-----------------
AD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2011 10:59AM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Date: March 07, 2011 11:17AM

Glad I could contribute Alex.

Movement, and repetitive actions have always been kind of my thing. I could talk about the aspects for an hour and unfortunately lose most people interest within the first 5 minutes.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2011 11:50AM

Bob,

You have my attention.

Joe

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: March 07, 2011 11:52AM

I love the look of the split grip, and I really like building them. The split grip area gives the builder a bigger slate to work with. I thnk they are very comfortable to fish with, but as a two handed caster, I don't like them. I built myself one and had to make the front grip long enough so I could use two hands when casting I like it for flipping and pitching, but as a casting rod I'm not a big fan. That is my input on the subject.

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Date: March 07, 2011 11:59AM

Steve, why did you not like them for 2 handed casting? I'm guessing that you felt like you lost distance?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 07, 2011 12:00PM

Hay Bob Caulkins

I like you thinking. Makes perfect sense And is also a good selling point Got to remember that

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: March 07, 2011 12:06PM

To Steve's point - I had one customer who two handed casted like a baseball bat... hands together right behind the reel. Full grip was better for him.

-----------------
AD

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster