I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Durability of current EVA products
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2011 10:19AM

Way back in my earlier days I built my mother a casting rod with an EVA grip. In about 10 years it "went away," meaning the material deteriorated to the point it just sort of came off in chunks. I expect it was due to ozone, but have no real way of knowing. I know it was not due to light as the rod was seldom used and was stored in a dark garage.

Question: Is current EVA more stable than the old stuff that was used on the rod described? If there are different qualities, how do you shop for the best?

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Durability of current EVA products
Date: March 07, 2011 06:14PM

A really underwhelming response on this one. I have to conclude that no one has any data?

Posted by: Vic Cutter (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: March 09, 2011 03:40PM

I know of no way that a custom rod builder can determine the long term durability of EVA or similar materials. Reputable vendors test their EVA in environmental chambers to determine how exposure to heat, UV, Salt water will affect the material.

There have been so many manufacturers of EVA grip material in the last 30 years and EVA is made in so many different Durometers (softer/harder), that is is difficult to make any generalized statement about durability. In my personal experience, high quality EVA material will last for more than 30 years providing it is not exposed to ambient temperature above 115°F. In other words, don't store rods in your car trunk, next to your heater or water heater and don't put them under your car hood. I've seen all of these rod storage methods create problems with EVA.

One of the telling signs of temperature exposure is a change in O.D. (Temps over 130°F can cause the EVA grip to shrink to an O.D. just slightly larger than the blank. Ozone and or UV exposure can also lead to durability problems. I am a firm believer that today's EVA material supplied by the established components distributors is more durable than the EVA of 20 years ago. There is still the possibility that EVA grips of lesser quality/durability are for sale. Always consider the investment you make in all the parts and labor of building the rod and don't scrimp on the grip material. Buy from a company whose reputation you trust. If you purchase sight unseen over the internet you may have an unpleasant experience awaiting you down the road.

I have several EVA gripped rods that I built more than 30 years ago and they are still in great shape. You will find that with frequent use EVA of higher durometer (firmer) will tend to get smoother in surface texture especially in areas where your grip changes frequently. This "Polish" can be removed by turning on a rod lathe and very lightly abrading the EVA surface with "Dragon skin" or Drywall sanding abrasive sheet. You don't want to remove much material from the surface to avoid changes in O.D. or shape.

Vic Cutter

Date: March 10, 2011 10:29AM

Thanks, Vic, appreciate your comments. My purchases come from major, trusted, companies, so expect I'm getting the good stuff. I don't like EVA grips for the uses I have, no salt except inshore stuff that's just like my normal freshwater gear, but am making a fly rod and like the looks of the EVA for the fighting butt, which is what prompted me to ask.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster