I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

foam grip carbon sleeving questions
Posted by: Charles Lechner (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: March 04, 2011 03:39PM

OK, the first few aren't bad but aren't as exacting as I would like, after sliding on the sleeve there just seems to be a lot of loose fibers that break loose and get into the first coating. So am I just overworking it as I wipe it down to get the excess epoxy out of the first coat and to get it to adhere to the core shape?

Next there as got to be a bit of info folks will share about how to get the sleeving to follow the grip shape that inserts into the reel seat. Perhaps I have just put too much resin on in the first pass and if I use less then I can zip tie it around the insert part and then zip tie again to get the sleeve flattened onto the grip flat end face. I just couldn't get the insert edge squared up neatly. But it would help to know if that is the key before I waste any more sleeving / don't get the exact desired shape.

Thanks for any tips you migh share.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: foam grip carbon sleeving questions
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 04, 2011 03:42PM

I use the shrink tube method so there are no fibers to come loose. The tubing shrinks and expels any excess resin.

Posted by: John Straight (---.netsync.net)
Date: March 04, 2011 09:26PM

Charles,

I've made 22 of these and have had the same problems as you including way too many bubbles. Got best results with following technique. Preseal shaped core with epoxy resin (Auto) cures quicker and less expensive. Bore handle to fit blank. Slide on carbon fiber sleeve be careful not to spread weave too much with dowel (pencil) push sleeve material into hole in one end, push tight and leave in. With the larger bored hole it is easier to evenly distribute material over end. Should help with with your end problems, did mine. Work sleeve tightly to other end and plug tightly with a dowel, again careful not to spread weave. Apply epoxy, I have best results with a 1/2" to 3/4"artist brush. Slow, even and full length strokes.Tried hand, finger (latex gloved), small brush, spatula and foam brush, always too many bubbles. **Be sure to keep finish level and even on the ends.** Now next step is new (for me). With epoxy applied put the wet handle with dowels in a food vacuum bag an vacuum seal. Plastic bag doesn't stick and NO bubbles, yes it creates raised seams which need to be removed. I use a single edge razor blade and fingernail board. Tried the heat shrink tubing but never satisfied with the ends.

Good Luck & Have Fun

John

JLS Custom Rods
Cassadaga, NY

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 04, 2011 11:46PM

Thanks for sharing your method. Rodney and I were talking about a vacuum system versus a shrink tube system just last week. There is still a lot of experimentation to be done with the carbon-fiber skins.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: March 05, 2011 10:11AM

I tried the food vacuum seal method as well - but really wasn't happy with the result. I think the shrink tubing gives a better result. I don't use that either though.

Here's what I've been doing for the last year or more...

- Turn your core to the shape
- Slide core on waxed mandrel, slide on fiber and zip tie ends - but them up very tight to get your contours. you also want the fiber VERY tight along the core.
- I'm using West System epoxy - wet out the mat. I put it on the rod dryer and let it turn as I wet out the material. I use a lot of epoxy and let it soak in good. I just use a chip brush to apply and apply in one direction.
- I let that dry over night turning on the rod dryer. I put the core on the lathe, trim the ends as needed (and excess epoxy), slide a flat chisel along the grip to knock off any bumps, then hit it with a scotchbrite pad
- clean it
- coat two of epoxy - much thinner - this just levels out the bumps - let dry turning on the rod dryer
- once dry, I ream to fit. Wet sand the surface to remove any imperfections, and the top coat with a clear urethane or some other one part finish

Here's what mine end up looking like:
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

The results look great and the fit and finish is pretty good as well.

-----------------
AD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2011 10:13AM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Posted by: John Straight (---.netsync.net)
Date: March 05, 2011 11:06AM

Alex'

Excellent work!

I have better luck with dowels. Whatever works for each is the "right" way. But don't you get bubbles? The fella at Soller Composites confirmed that curing epoxy creates its own bubbles. I ordered shrink tubing, at the same time he suggested the vacuum method as well, but without one of those I get hundreds of bubbles. Also he told me to keep the temp. colder, with my unheated basement that's not a problem.

John

JLS Custom Rods
Cassadaga, NY

Date: March 05, 2011 11:25AM

Thanks.

No bubbles. I work in 70 - 80 deg temps.

I found the ridges from vac bags really aggravating. The vacuum system should be best because all air is removed. I didn't want to invest in a real vac system though.

I prefer mandrels because when I coat the ends of the grip, they don't stick to a waxed mandrel as much. Dowels would give some cheaper size options though. I also don't push the material inside the bore.I just zip tie beside the end of the grip. The little bit of "flange" that is there is gone once I ream the grip.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sub-174-253-112.myvzw.com)
Date: March 06, 2011 08:31AM

Alex, I've got a vac system over here. I'm gonna give it a try soon. It is a veneer clamping system and is way more than is necessary. Quite expensive too.

Date: March 06, 2011 10:44AM

Lane - drop me an email once you try that out. I'm real interested in the results. My biggest issue right now is somewhere to set that up. My shop is pretty much full.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2011 11:41AM

Alex
Kitchen table!
You have an understanding wife

Posted by: Bob Mankin (---.nextweb.net)
Date: March 06, 2011 03:18PM

Lane, how about something simpler like the video shown on the Solar Composites website? Vacuum film used top and bottom on a nice, flat table.

If/when I get to trying vacuum, that's the route I'll go.

Your tips with the zip ties are allowing me to crank out a bunch of nice grips lately, btw. Ends coming out very clean and uniform.

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 06, 2011 06:33PM

Bob Mankin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lane, how about something simpler like the video
> shown on the Solar Composites website? Vacuum film
> used top and bottom on a nice, flat table.
>
> If/when I get to trying vacuum, that's the route
> I'll go.
>
> Your tips with the zip ties are allowing me to
> crank out a bunch of nice grips lately, btw. Ends
> coming out very clean and uniform.

What appears simple in that video isn't really simple. The equipment needed to do that is beyond what most hobby type guys would be willing to spring for. If you price vacuum pumps you would be quite surprised at how much they cost and that's just the pump. Factor in valves, gauges, switches, pipe, tubing, fittings, bags, breather fabric, and mastic sealing tape and you are up there in cost a substantial amount.

Lane

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster