I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
north fork reviews
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: March 04, 2011 07:36AM

Ok guys,

I picked up a HM North Fork blank while I was at the show and love it. What are you impressions of the IM and SM series? Are they above the other offerings on the market. I ask this to better inform my customers to have the best tool for the job.

For instance do the IM's compare to RX8, SCIII,SCIV or XMG?

Do the SM's compare to SCII, RX7, IM700, MHX

Thanks,
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: north fork reviews
Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.co.shawnee.ks.us)
Date: March 04, 2011 10:54AM

I have purchased two IM blanks. I was looking for some ex-fast blanks that could possibly compare to some of the old Shikari line. The two I purchased are of good quality and not sure what they would compare to. The only disappointment I had with them is that they are not as fast as I had hoped they would be. They are not as fast as some of the old Shikari rods or the Old Loomis rods and there are some St Croix, Batson, and Rogue blanks that are faster. This is not a knock on the brand, they are just not what I was expecting, however I am sure they will build in to fine rods and I may purchase more down the road. It is also hard to get good numbers when only one of each blank is purchased. I bought the FW 702-1 and the DS 6107 models.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2011 11:29AM

Terry,
I have just picked up the FW702-1 - like the one that you have.
After getting the handle on and shaped, I have done some comparisons to a bunch of other rods that I have on hand.

I would say, that the NFC 702-1 - is virtually identical to the Rogue SP702 that I have as a finished rod. This rod is feather light, perfectly balanced and will make a wonderful light jig / bait fishing rod.

I had also wanted a slghtly faster blank, but is is certainly an excellent high quality light blank. Very very sensitive blank.

If I were to compare this to a Loomis rod, I would say that it is comparable to the 0 power rod of the SJ series with about the same tip taper.

Looking forward to using this excellent blank for the right application.

Roger

Date: March 04, 2011 12:14PM

I concur with your evaluation Roger. I was hoping to find something along the lines of the old Shikari IWR 7000 walley rod. Perhaps when NFC expands their lines, such an animal will be in the offerings.

Date: March 04, 2011 12:49PM

terry,
With respect to a blank with an extra fast tip, St. Croix has come out with some new models this year, that are exactly that - i.e. very fast tips. Nice rods. You might want to check them out.

Roger

Date: March 04, 2011 01:17PM

Roger, which of these new blanks would you recommend in the 7 to 7 and a half foot range that would be as fast or faster than the SCV older models. I have some 6 footers of the old SCV that I extended to 7 foot that are extremely fast, as fast as the Shikari,s but along with that comes the power. I am seeking that almost perfect lightweight extremely fast 120 to 130 penny rod like the old Shikari's. I've tried lots of blanks except for CTS and the now defunct A.T.C. blanks. Lots of blanks to match the speed but none with the lower power rating while maintaining the speed as of yet.

Date: March 04, 2011 01:36PM

Terry,
It sounds like you are looking for the very same blank that I am.
Actually, I really can't recommend any of the st. croix blanks in the SCV and the SCVI that I have looked at for the lighter power range.

I will say that the new St. croix Avid 6'10" casting blank is very fast, marked medium light and is just starting to get to the lighter range that I would like.

The thing that I have found with the SCV and SCVI blanks is that they are very very light and very nice blanks. But due to their materials, are really not condusive to the lighter power rods. i.e. wonderful for medium light and heavier, but not so much for the lighter power blank that I am looking for.

I am also builiding one of the new SCV blanks in a medium light blank and will make an exceptional blank for 1/8th and 1/4 oz jigs. Still just a touch heavy power for the lighter jigs - like the 1/16th oz jigs.

The NFC FW702 - will be an excellent rod for pitching the lighter 1/16th and 1/8th oz jigs - noticably lighter than the SCV medium light, but still not quite the extra fast action that I really want. But, in the main time this rod will certainly be no slouch in the fish catching department with the use of the lighter baits.

p.s.
I was wondering if any one had any experience with the Phenix blanks in the lighter extra fast blanks. I see that such blanks are listed in their catalog, but I have not put my hands on any blanks.

As you know, what one manufacturer considers to have a certain tip, may not at all agree with what a user wants, or what a different manufacturer lists with the same characteristics. To be sure, the person really needs to have the blank in his hands for his personal testing - whether it is the CTS system or a different method of testing.

Roger

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: March 04, 2011 01:53PM

What you must understand when comparing manufactures is like comparing Apples to Oranges. What material was used to make these blanks, what was the purpose of the design and remember we all fish differently. What I do know is the NF blanks were designed by one of the NW best of the best designers

Good Wraps Bob

Date: March 04, 2011 02:30PM

Bob,
Absolutely correct. The rod that I am building right now is certainly a top notch blank that will work very very well for the puprose for which it was designed.

Thanks again for the great blanks.

Roger

Date: March 04, 2011 02:48PM

Bob, you are correct, not knockin any blanks or any person, just they don't make what i'm lookin for. Yet.

Date: March 04, 2011 02:53PM

Why not contact some manufactures like Lamiglas, Batson, Seeker, St. Croix and Mud Hole. Your rod maybe in a differnt listing

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: March 04, 2011 03:43PM

Are you fellows actually measuring tip angle or just eye-balling it? I do have some data on a couple of NFC blanks, and they don't measure as fast as I would like (for an SJ or MB). But I have not fished one yet so I can't say much.

I have an SCIV 6' 3" XF vertical jig rod that really only measures moderately fast, compared to an RX7 ISB780 or 781. Just wondering what numbers you're seeing.

Chuck

Date: March 04, 2011 05:32PM

Slow, moderate, fast ectra is just a company rating. Each company uses a differnt systems to rate a blanks action. Once you put guides and component parts on the action well change again. You can not compare one companies blank action against another just by looking at numbers. Please correct me if I am wrong. Also each series and model is differnt

Good Wraps Bob

Date: March 04, 2011 06:53PM

Bob,
I completely agree.
That is why I suggested, that one have the two blanks in your hand and do a side by side flex test to really determine for yourself, the actual speed of the tip, as well as the power of the rod.

It is interesting in some of my testing , that I have actually found some rods that are slower, to actually be a better rod, than the rods that have a faster tip. So, again, the real bottom line is to fish with a finished rod, to see what it does in the field.

Sometimes it seems that what we think we want may not actually work out better in real practice.

Roger

Date: March 05, 2011 08:52AM

The only thing I rely on for the company rating is to get me close if I haven't actually fished a finished blank. I have found that the CCS numbers on the better quality blanks are quite consistant. I don't eyeball anything. I have found that St Croix, Batson, Pac Bay, and Shikari blanks were extremely consistant in their CCS numbers. All companies were within 3 to 10 pennies in the power range and 1 to 3 degrees for angle of action. This testing has been done on lots and lots of blanks. To me, that speaks of good quality control which translates to quality for us and those we build for. I will be purchasing more Rogue and NFC blanks over time. I have not done enough of their respective blanks to get a handle on them. I suspect they will be extremely consistant also. Some of the cheaper house blanks weighed, are all over the place with both power and angle of action, some two to three times as much as the previous tested blanks. For myself and those I build for, I prefer the more consistant numbers. As far as after the rod is built I am finding the numbers do not change terribly much. On almost all occasions the power goes up by only a few pennies and most of the time the angle of action either stays the same or changes by one degree and on rare occasions two degrees. The variance in my opinion on the angle of action is due to guide type and placement. The variance on the power end in my opinion is from adding the guides, handle, and decorative art work. Since one of my requirements for the blank is to be consistant, I try to be as consistant in my builds as possible. I only build crappie and walleye rods. Thats my choice, I steer all other types of fishermen to other builders. By being this narrow in scope it allows me to place a rod of choice in the fishermens hands because on most occasions I let them test my personal rods so they get to pick which blank they like best. I have over forty rods of my own and will probably be at 50 or more if i can find the blanks I'm looking for in the future. Great hobby and makes for some very very nice equipment for the 100 to 120 days a year that I get to fish.

Posted by: Kent Hoff (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2011 03:41PM

I have built two of the CTF905-2 fly blanks for customers. The feed back I have received is that they are superb rods for our western rivers. Fast enough to cast large bugs in windy conditions but sensitive enough to allow excellent communication of subtle nymph takes. Those blanks are from the IM series. I'm currently building two more rods on those blanks, now if only Gary would get the 4 piece in the production schedule I could sell a lot more.

Kent Hoff
Green Drake Design

Date: March 06, 2011 04:53PM

Kent where are you from, WA or OR. You have a hidden email. Mine is Balcomberods@aol.com
Good Wraps Bob

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2011 09:56AM

I know the NFC blanks are designed to be trimmed so it might take some tinkering to find that fast action tip you are looking for. No issue with warranty being voided either.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: March 07, 2011 12:36PM

??? designed to be trimmed? can you please expound on this for me?

Posted by: Ken Tong (---.mobile.mymmode.com)
Date: March 07, 2011 01:44PM

I would think NFC taking so long to release blanks is because they want the blanks to be as good as they get without us needing to fiddle with them...

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster