I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Bond problem, comments please!
Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: March 02, 2011 11:17PM

I have glued up a rod handle with Rod Bond. After 4 days I checked my excess and it was soft and tacky. I have glued up about 35 rods and have not had this problem in the past. I say that because I suspected by 1:1 mix ratio was off by about 10% (my best guess). I think more resin than hardner. Temp has been 65 to 70 F in my shop. I'm pretty confident this is a mixing problem so no probem with the Rod Bond. What can I expect? Will the Rod Bond set up over time? Hate to start on the guides with soft epoxy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Bond problem, comments please!
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: March 02, 2011 11:24PM

Start over ... no doubt. BTW, the error for margin is DEFINITELY greater than 10%, that isn't the issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2011 11:25PM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2011 11:49PM

Take the butt cap, and try to twist it by hand. If it moves easily remove everything. Also do the same thing with the real seat if the butt cap is fine. Can't hurt to redo if you have the stuff and time.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: March 03, 2011 07:09AM

Mark,

Rod Bond is very forgiving in the mixture so that may not be the problem. Is this from a new container? If not has the lid or lids been off for an extended period of time to where it could be contaminated?

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2011 07:11AM by Bill Eshelman.

Date: March 03, 2011 07:28AM

Bill, this was a used containers that I have built 8 or 9 rods from with no problems at all. Lids were never left off nor has the product been exposed to air for much than 3 minutes. I pull one part then back on with the top so not to mix up tops. I never open both resin and hardner at the same time.

I did think of something, when I mixed the components I got halfway through and "ran out". I mixed up a second batch on top of what was left. First time I have ever done had a second mix.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: March 03, 2011 07:43AM

Follow Gabes` advice

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Greg Weaver (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2011 08:10AM

Before trying to ruin what you've put together, I would expose the assembly to a little higher temperature, such as over a lamp or a heater, being careful not to get it too hot, of course. Let it warm up for several hours, even up to 8 or more hours if possible. Put your sample close by where it will warm up also. See if that doesn't set up the rod bond. No use tearing it all apart if you don't have to. Heat will most likely be the cure for what ails you.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 03, 2011 09:36AM

You're guessing at the 10% - it's probably off by way more than that if it hasn't set up in several days.

Put it in a warm room for 24 hours. If that doesn't take care of it, start over. This isn't something that's going to get better as time goes on.

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.rcmdva.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2011 12:40PM

I have had similar issues with Threadmaster Ultimate Epoxy Gel during cold weather. Being something of a skinflint when it comes to heating the house, I just allow a lot of time for it to set, and it always has. I have no idea if this helps.
Tight lines,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: March 03, 2011 04:03PM

I have old jars of Rod Bond laying around (4yrs.) they are even crusty. What I do to I guess you would call it, to rejuvenate all I do is stick it in my old radar range on high for about 15 seconds and mix.each jar. The contents well soften up. An it is good to go. The only thought I have on your mix being sticky is 2 fold, one the mix mixture was totally off or you thought you mix the 2 components, you really only mixed one.

Good Wraps Bob

Date: March 03, 2011 08:48PM

Various comments, thanks for the time and thought.

I did not glue up the butt cap. I did try to twist the reel seat and the rear grip. Neither moved. I'm going to try the heat but I suspect it will be the same. I suspect the mix was off by more than 10%. I did mix the hardner and resin.

Good part is I am building 2 identical rods, same blanks, etc. for the client. Different threads. Too much iffyness. Second thought, I'm going to try the twist again and see if I can really make it move.

Thanks again. Very glad to see the show was a success!!!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster